|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> FACETIME

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 08:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

M GO BLUE wrote:

Ok...just thought of something..our plan is to get the Ipad2 but with WiFi only (since my DroidX already has the unlimited data plan)...so am I screwed here trying to use Facetime if I only have Wifi on the Ipad2???
Just a note - the iPads with WiFi only do not have a built in GPS receiver making it less useful for navigation. If you purchase the WiFi + 4G version (or 3G for the older versions) you do not have to sign up with a carrier to use the GPS features.

Jon Vermilye Travel & Photo Web Pages ... My Collection of RV Blogs & Journals
My Travel Journal - Jon's Journeys
Lake McDonald, Glacier National Park, MT

4*phun*2

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 08:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used both. Face Time is much better than Skype JMHO.

Glenn & Karen
'08 Chevy LT 3500 HD 4x4 CC LB DRW (nice hips)
'06 F350 4X4 Lariat CC LB DRW (nice hips) retired
'09 Victory Lane 38SRV Toy Hauler
'02 HD Road King FLHRCI KRUZN
'04 F150 XLT Super Crew
Our Toys

M GO BLUE

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 08:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brobox wrote:

M GO BLUE wrote:

I'm more concerned right now with bumping up against our 2g limit using Facetime for the mobile hotspot on my phone...but since I am grandfathered into Verizon with an unlimited data plan we will use piblic wifi with the Ipad2 until I get a new phone (with a front camera) to use Facetime or similar at home

You could look at Foxfi in the "play store". You can use your unlimited data plan for wi-fi instead of being limited to 2 GB and it's "free". I have used it a few times to see how well it works before we travel this summer and it works prefect.

I have looked at FoxFi and have tried for a few seconds to see if it works...but how does Verizon react to this?

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel
Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

M GO BLUE

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 08:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

vermilye wrote:

M GO BLUE wrote:

Ok...just thought of something..our plan is to get the Ipad2 but with WiFi only (since my DroidX already has the unlimited data plan)...so am I screwed here trying to use Facetime if I only have Wifi on the Ipad2???
Just a note - the iPads with WiFi only do not have a built in GPS receiver making it less useful for navigation. If you purchase the WiFi + 4G version (or 3G for the older versions) you do not have to sign up with a carrier to use the GPS features.

My phone has the unlimited data plan so don't want to pay for an extra plan...as for GPS we have an older Garmin Nuvi that we have updated continuously with updated maps

srt20

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

M GO BLUE wrote:

brobox wrote:

M GO BLUE wrote:

I'm more concerned right now with bumping up against our 2g limit using Facetime for the mobile hotspot on my phone...but since I am grandfathered into Verizon with an unlimited data plan we will use piblic wifi with the Ipad2 until I get a new phone (with a front camera) to use Facetime or similar at home

You could look at Foxfi in the "play store". You can use your unlimited data plan for wi-fi instead of being limited to 2 GB and it's "free". I have used it a few times to see how well it works before we travel this summer and it works prefect.

I have looked at FoxFi and have tried for a few seconds to see if it works...but how does Verizon react to this?

Dont tell Verizon. I have used all kinds of tethering. Rooted, and stock with Foxfi.

I havent used factime yet. But I have used Skype. Skype is bad on 3G. Very laggy. Might just be better off going to McD's or something to use it. Or get a 4G phone and try it.

bwanshoom

Darnestown, MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 09:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

srt20 wrote:

I havent used factime yet. But I have used Skype. Skype is bad on 3G. Very laggy. Might just be better off going to McD's or something to use it. Or get a 4G phone and try it.

3G doesn't have the bandwidth to support video conferencing well, that's why Apple only supports Facetime on WiFi. Now as to why Facetime is still WiFi-only on the new iPad (which is 4G and an order of magnitude faster than 3G) I have no clue.

2010 Cougar 322 QBS
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD LLY CC/SB 4x4 SLT
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K

JN_B

Calgary, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 10:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FaceTime is worlds better than Skype.. As much as I'm against apple, they for FaceTime right. We used to use Skype and there was always issues (Video would drop, even though signal was good, choppy picture .). All new apple products with wifi capability have FaceTime preloaded.

2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD SLT
2010 K-Z Spree 318BHS

brobox

Sunny SW. Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 11:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

M GO BLUE wrote:

brobox wrote:

M GO BLUE wrote:

Not a problem as far as any charges on my bill. I will not exceed the data I am paying for.

Chuck
02 Travel Supreme, 2 street side slides
09 Toyota Tacoma 2WD

hitchup

Fulltiming and on the Road.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 12:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have 2-iPhone4S and one iPad2 and kids and grandkids have iPhones, iPad2 or iTouch. I agree FaceTime is better than Skype. We used Skype one month and went over our minutes.

But FT only works when we have the Cradlepoint on, even with the iPhones. Keep telling Grandkids to CALL first, then we'll plug in internet Wifi and talk at ya.

2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

Davydd

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 02:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The iPad 2 wifi only model works great with Facetime. I'm pretty sure with both iPhones and iPads that wifi means wifi by means of DSL or cable and that you won't be able to communicate via a cellular connection even if you wifi connect wirelessly to another cellular hotspot device. It has nothing to do with speeds as my former DSL wifi at home was often as slow as my old iPhone 3G. I think it has a lot more to do with the cellular traffic and if it was cellular enabled there would be an explosion of Facetime talk that the networks could not handle. Besides, even if you could establish a connection through a hotspot setup you would burn through your gigabyte allowance in no time.

Davydd
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter B Camper Van
Visited states in an RV

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> FACETIME
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts