RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: RV GPS?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
greg121

TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 05:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I only use GPS to tell me about my immediate area - destination, turns, exit/lane guidance, services etc. I can't imagine my ever letting a GPS set my route so I load them in.

So is there any advantage to having one of the RV specific GPS's? It might be interesting to see what it comes up with for a route as compared to what I come up with but not enough to cough up a couple hundred more dollars. Which I wouldn't mind paying if there is a reason but one is just not occurring to me.

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 06:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

greg121 wrote:

I only use GPS to tell me about my immediate area - destination, turns, exit/lane guidance, services etc. I can't imagine my ever letting a GPS set my route so I load them in.

So is there any advantage to having one of the RV specific GPS's? It might be interesting to see what it comes up with for a route as compared to what I come up with but not enough to cough up a couple hundred more dollars. Which I wouldn't mind paying if there is a reason but one is just not occurring to me.

No reason if you have a Class B. Could be a good reason if you have a Class A, or big 5'er, or even a long TT.

A special RV GPS does allow you to put in weight and height of your rig. This feature could keep you off of bridges that can't handle your weight, or off of roads that have tunnels too low for your rig.

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Badger Dog plus "Ollie"
"The Traveling Koala"
2012 Koala 21CS
2005 F150 Supercab 4x4, w/ 5.4L
And Equal-i-zer WDH/Sway Control

Homer

Northeast Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 06:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO GPS is one of the most useless gadgets to ever come down the pike. I'll take paper maps and recommendations from other RVers every time.

chuggs

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 07:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Homer wrote:

IMHO GPS is one of the most useless gadgets to ever come down the pike. I'll take paper maps and recommendations from other RVers every time.

Wow... "Most Useless Gadget to ever come down the pike?" That's a pretty defenseless view.

I think GPS is the maybe "one of the greatest inventions since sliced bread".

Guess we'll just be miles apart on how much we like GPS...

I'll admit the mapping ones do have a few quirks. But being able to push my finger on the screen...and then tap the MEDICAL symbol, and have it route me to the nearest hospital... alone, is worth the price of admission.

I like being able to see when I'll be getting to my destination at a glance, and it's usually within a minute or two of when we actually arrive.

I like being able to search "along route" for a walmart, restaurant, or filling station.

I like having it warn me of LOW OVERHEAD CLEARANCES within a programmed radius of my current location.

I still carry a maps with me...but IMHO they're only good for planning a route while you're sitting on the can.

You can still use a GPS along with recommendations from Fellow RV'rs... IT's not precluding you from doing that.

mdock2

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 08:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at different GPS models. BUT, I do make the following recommendations.

1, make sure it's what you want.
2, provide guidance regarding roads, truck routes, bridges, etc.
3, able to plan/change route.
4, allows you to add POI (points of information) files, ie,
5, screen is large enough for you to see (5 or 7 inch model).

Instead of the RV GPS, I went with a Trucker model. Since we have a class A, I wanted one that would provide the guidance information that a coach my size would need. I don't depend on the GPS by it's self, as I plan our routes using streets and trips and google earth, but any of the 3 by themselves does not provide the detailed snap-shot of the route that I'm looking for. As each product has a history of providing faulty route planning.

Good luck on finding the right unit for you.

Marty (KI4NAI)& Shirley
1998,38' DutchStar F/L Cat

MEMBERSHIPS
FMCA
Bits & Bytes,
Elks International (Webmaster)
FCCC
PPA (Life Member)
Moose
ARRL-ARES
National Park Travelers Club
Visited 158 National Parks
Places we've slept since 2007

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 08:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Homer wrote:

Couldn't disagree more, and couldn't agree more. I like looking at maps to see the whole picture, like were to travel through a state. As for route planning I'll look at a full size map. But if I'm looking for the shortest route possible or need directions to a certain place I'll take GPS anyday. The nice thing about GPS is you can use it on a smart phone which in turn allows you to have Apps. I have Gas Buddy and use that app to find the cheapest gas while traveling. Also use it to find RV parks, resturaunts or other places of interest. I have Nav in my truck but have never used it. Always use the GPS on the smart phone. Heres an article that was emailed to me about Droids and GPS. http://blog.rv.net/2012/04/droid-smartph........log+%28RV.net+Blog+Daily+Updates+Feed%29

2hams

Virginia Beach, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 08:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 on a GPS that meets criteria above, especially to enter POIs.

We use GPS to find things around our destination (grocery, winery, places to eat). We also use it to get a general idea of when we might arrive at a campground to help us pick where to stop for the day.

2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2008 Silverado 2500HD D/A

Jim Shoe

Amelia, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 09:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing at all wrong with using a GPS, paper maps, and/or whatever for directions. Most of them don't relocate streets or towns from version to version, but POIs can move with the slip of a finger when typing in the GPS coordinates.
I usually use Streets and Trips, and buy an updated version every other year. There's one RV park in Sarasota that's east of I75. I've stayed there and its still in the same place, but succeeding versions of S & T have been moving it closer and closer to the Gulf of Mexico. Based on S & T, I expect to find it in the Gulf in the 2013 edition. Best to visit the CG's own web site. They generally know where they're located.

Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 09:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Greg,

The only advantage to one of the RV specific GPS is the ability to warn you of low clearances and keep you on truck routes. As neither of those is any interest to me, if that is not of interest to you, there is your answer. Any good vehicle GPS will get you as much.

GPS cannot replace common sense.
The POI loads matter much more than the type of unit. For my money, those are easier to manage with a laptop running SA or S&T.

If you want the built in check lists, get paper and a pencil. I keep paper charts around because they are very reliable.

Working with Woodall's, the AAA tour info (books are of limited availability) and the local guides is much more valuable.

The only time I ever really looked at the RV-GPS units was to evaluate them for others. (For some reason people think I know about this just because I've used them for several decades.) For some of my life, my job description was "Navigator".

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

tracyb-oh

Cincinnati,Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 03:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Garmin has a function where I select car, bus or foot. For the RV I pick Bus and that way it won't try to take me down a road it won't fit. I love my Garmin.

Tracy and T
Jayco 2001 Class C 3150J Designer
2007 Honda CRV
"The Girls" Honey and Crystal our dachshunds

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: