RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Monaco dynasty. Anything i should know

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Monaco dynasty. Anything i should know

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Jake21

Santa Fe, NM

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 08:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had narrowed my search for a full time rv to the American brand in the 70 - 90 thousand range. This one has caught my interest. Besides the high mileage, is there anything I should be aware of about this unit? Is this a good year for this model? I really like the three slides and the tag axle. Advice?

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/diesel/2003-Monaco-Dynasty-20109.htm

Thanks for all help. Heading over to look at it in two hours.
Jake

dashdriver

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah that mileage ain't so high! The Dynasty is on the higher end of Monaco coaches, so you're looking at a quality unit provided it has been maintained well. You will love the tag axle and Aquahot. Looks like the toilet is new?

If you're planning on doing your own maintenance then you will also love the side radiator. If I were looking for a rig to replace mine, that one would be on the list for me! Good luck!

1999 HR Navigator 42DSS
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4Dr)

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 08:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you aware that the floor plan only has one sofa and no chair? If yoiu like the computer desk layout it may be OK. Personally I have found that those layouts make a unit hard to sell. The extra sink in the bedroom serves no purpose. Miles is not high!! But it is still overpriced. You should also be aware that some Monaco's in certain years had the same fiberglass crazing problems as many other mfrs( Country Coach and Newmar as well). The best place to buy a unit is one of the manufacturer forums. Check out Demartini's website. It does not have a Washer/dryer nor satellite system. Are the TV's still CRT's? Are the tires original? New tires could easily add over $6000 to that price.

Moisheh

2008 Dynasty

justlou

Northern, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It indicates a Freightliner Chassis. I don't believe Monaco offered a Freightliner option over their Roadmaster chassis on the Dynasty or any other model. Otherwise check the dates on the tires and be sure the recall has been done if it has the 1200 series Norcold Refrigerator.

justlou
2006 Monaco Diplomat
2004 Saturn Vue Toad

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's surely a Roadmaster chassis. The bed will block the drawers when closed but you will have good access to the rear over the bed. Otherwise good access with the slides closed, perhaps a blocked pantry. I've never understood the DS BR slide which cannot be extended when parked in front of a house unless the city allows parking facing the traffic.

If the TV's are SD then consider that you may want HD. Be aware that some suspension components require lube every 5K miles.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At that mileage the tires are not original but check the dates and tread depth. Plan on $5-6K.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

moisheh wrote:

Are you aware that the floor plan only has one sofa and no chair? If yoiu like the computer desk layout it may be OK. Personally I have found that those layouts make a unit hard to sell. The extra sink in the bedroom serves no purpose. Miles is not high!! But it is still overpriced. You should also be aware that some Monaco's in certain years had the same fiberglass crazing problems as many other mfrs( Country Coach and Newmar as well). The best place to buy a unit is one of the manufacturer forums. Check out Demartini's website. It does not have a Washer/dryer nor satellite system. Are the TV's still CRT's? Are the tires original? New tires could easily add over $6000 to that price.
Excellent post. I watched Monaco remove and replace outside figerglass panels.

Our unit was changed from 2 sofas and no chair to a computer desk, chair and sofa. This for us was a plus.

For FT I would plan on say $10K+ in upgrades (plus tires). Why live with a compromise? Junction City, OR has the skills to do anything you want.

2ndhom

Eugene, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ask if it has auto air or hyd leveling when parked. Some coachs have had leaking problems with air.

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 11:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FYI...when we were looking, we wanted two sofas and ours had the computer desk. (We also have one in the bedroom) Decided to go ahead with the purchase as I could change it out if we didn't like it. Now we wouldn't buy another one without it!...go figure....sometimes we only THINK we know what we want.......we did update the barrel chair Monaco put in with a Lambright recliner..big difference...

A couple other things...that unit will be plumbed in the rear linen closet for a W/D. Call Monaco before you go look at it and they will fax you the build sheet so you will know if anything has been changed and/or removed from it. They will need either the coach number or the last 6 digits of the VIN...PPL will provide the vin if you ask...good luck..let us know what you think after seeing it in person......Dennis

* This post was edited 04/09/12 11:46am by Executive *

MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
Chevy HHR W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Jake21

Santa Fe, NM

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 12:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the great feedback. We looked at the unit and it was pretty beat up, as we're most at PPL. I can't believe how bad some of these units looked.

We did see an American Eagle with a mid-entry that looked pretty good.

Jake

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Monaco dynasty. Anything i should know
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS