|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Question about campground power. TT vs the rest

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Racer78

Northeast Pa

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi. I'm new to tt camping and had an issue this past weekend. A "super "bohemeth" class 3 unit pulled in next to us. After he set up and plugged in to power pole, our power kept going on/off, flickering, etc. I began to fear possible damage to my power panel (it was clicking on/off, buzzing and "resetting?". Is this normal? Should I be concerned? Thanks in advance.

dqdick

Council Grove, KS

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 10:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not normal and you need to get a EMS system to shut off the power if it's too high or too low before damage to your appliances occurs. An EMS system will also function as a surge suppressor so while they're pricey they do two things you need at once.

Dick and Joyce
2010 Montana 3665RE
Dodge 2500HD Maxi Cab Laramie Edition
Diego, Norm, & Bitsy

bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 10:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Racer78 wrote:

A "super "bohemeth" class 3 unit pulled in next to us.

what's a Class 3 unit? do you mean Class A motorhome?

agree about the EMS unit, if you use hookups a lot. we dry camp mostly so we don't need one.
but it could have been a poor power pole or weak campground power supply and have nothing to do with your neighbor.

Dan- Firefighter, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Jackthewonderdog

United States

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 10:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

Racer78 wrote:

A "super "bohemeth" class 3 unit pulled in next to us.

what's a Class 3 unit? do you mean Class A motorhome?

agree about the EMS unit, if you use hookups a lot. we dry camp mostly so we don't need one.
but it could have been a poor power pole or weak campground power supply and have nothing to do with your neighbor.

I agree, if you were both plugged into the same box, your connection could have been loose which would cause flickering. Remember, any super "bohemeth" is only going to draw 50 amps at most, so it does not matter his size above a 50amp draw. You should have contacted the campground owner or host as soon as you noticed the problem

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 11:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm one for always having a PLAN B to cover all the situations that come up.

In this case having a beefed up battery system to allow you to camp off the power grids would have come in real handy in a situation like this. With our setup we could of unhooked from the 30AMP Power pole and continued on without a hitch. About the only modern appliance thing we have have lost would be the Air conditioner unit. Everything in our setup would have continued right on without a hitch. Then the next morning we would have hooked up again to the power pole and check things out to determine if we would stay on the site power or not. We would stay on long enough to re-charge our battery bank (2-3 hours).

Something along this line some folks will use their RV50A-30A adapter and plug their 30A trailer into the 50A side. The other side of the coin is to use your RV30A-15A adapter and hook your 30A plug to the 15/20A plug on the power pole. You could still run everything in your 30A trailer but not at the same time together. Sometimes the other power connections may have better power regulation than the 30A side as for as voltage regulation is concerned.

Like the post on here indicated, it probably was NOT the other trailers fault at all and the problem was with the site shore power pole. Can you imagine how many times the power pole connectors get used. Its amazing the even work at all. I always look my connection over real good before plugging into it. Not sure what I would do if I found something I didnt like. You know the site folks will let you move you to another location without question... "No problem go find another good pole" or "we will send our maintenance man right over" and he will squirt some WD40 into the receptacle or somthing like that haha... "try it now"... My hat is always off to the camping site guys. They really have their work cut out for them...

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 01:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know what a class 3 is but not likely it was the CAUSE of your problems. Rvs are all either 50, 30, or 20 amp (but mostly 50 and 30)

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Racer78 wrote:

Sorry for the class 3 term (it was a bus with slide outs etc)

sounds like a Class A Diesel Pusher.

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This does not relate to your trouble now, could in the future.
30amp is one 120 volt x30 ampere feed, so volts x amps = 3600 voltamps or 2880 watts (125 watts= 1 amp) potentially you could demand continuously.
50 amp is 2 120 v feeds x 50 amps each, so V x A x 2 = 12000 voltamps or 9600 watts they could demand, over 4 times as much as a 30 amp feed.
If the power company is delivering the correct voltage, if the camp is wired substantially enough to deliver the amperage, if there is a weak breaker or a poor connection in your power cord?
Did the other rig experience trouble?
I am not a licensed electrician. I have seen all of these scenarios and more, yet it is regularly an easily found and cured problem.
Questions abound.

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 09:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not all campground power outlets work as they should. You should test the outlet with a volt meter and a polarity tester before hooking up. If things are not as they should be go to the campground office and tell them and get moved to another site. Once hooked up, as suggested, you should have a surge/power monitor protector between the campground outlet and your electric cord. Suggestions to go on battery power are nice, but if you are paying for an electric hookup at a campground you should be getting a properly working power connection - or be moved to one that is.

Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Racer78

Northeast Pa

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 02:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry for the class 3 term (it was a bus with slide outs etc) I assumed he may have been trying to use more juice than was avail. Thanks for the replies. I tried to ask him, but he did not speak english and seemed new to it all also. We did check our plugs/connections. all ok. Thanks again

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Question about campground power. TT vs the rest
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS