RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: How much power do I need?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> How much power do I need?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
cm

Dillon, CO USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 03:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He said that he will mostly use it the race tracks.

Several people are talking about generator hours. Have you ever been to a race track pit? They do not usually have generator hour restrictions. Often generators are run as much as 24 hours a day for the length of the race.

He is not talking about some campground or state park.

jgos929

TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 05:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cm wrote:

He said that he will mostly use it the race tracks.

Several people are talking about generator hours. Have you ever been to a race track pit? They do not usually have generator hour restrictions. Often generators are run as much as 24 hours a day for the length of the race.

He is not talking about some campground or state park.

Exactly right. We run them all day and all night and most of the folks out there just accept and deal with the noise.

TV: 2012 Dodge Ram Crew Cab HEMI
TT: 2006 KZ Jag 29JB

DSDP Don

Moorpark, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 06:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jgos929....If its a newer Honda, you can buy the second Honda designed to paired up. The auxillary fuel tank kit is also a nice option for extended running.

Very few people know that there is a security handle made for the 2000 Honda generators. The handle on the 2000 is only plastic, but many run their cable locks through the handle. A hacksaw will quickly saw through the handle. Honda makes a metal sleeve sleeve that fits over the handle and once secured, can't be removed or easily cut. Here is the lock.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
450 Cummins
2012 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ CrewCab 4WD
2013 Polaris RZR 800 LE

PhilR.

Central Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 07:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I were to be running a generator in your specified setting, I would just go to the local Tractor Supply Store and pick up a Champion 3500 genset for $299. They will run one A/C unit, along with the rest of the stuff in the trailer quite well. These gensets are louder than the red or blue ones, but still produce much less noise than the typical contractor-style gensets. IOW, it will fit in just fine in your particular setting.

The Champion provides more performance for the dollar spent than any other genset I've seen or used so far. It also has an RV plug built in, so no adapter needed. The only thing I don't like about them is that they weigh about 100 lbs.

jgos929

TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diplomat Don wrote:

jgos929....If its a newer Honda, you can buy the second Honda designed to paired up. The auxillary fuel tank kit is also a nice option for extended running.

Very few people know that there is a security handle made for the 2000 Honda generators. The handle on the 2000 is only plastic, but many run their cable locks through the handle. A hacksaw will quickly saw through the handle. Honda makes a metal sleeve sleeve that fits over the handle and once secured, can't be removed or easily cut. Here is the lock.

Thanks for the link

jgos929

TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PhilR. wrote:

If I were to be running a generator in your specified setting, I would just go to the local Tractor Supply Store and pick up a Champion 3500 genset for $299. They will run one A/C unit, along with the rest of the stuff in the trailer quite well. These gensets are louder than the red or blue ones, but still produce much less noise than the typical contractor-style gensets. IOW, it will fit in just fine in your particular setting.

The Champion provides more performance for the dollar spent than any other genset I've seen or used so far. It also has an RV plug built in, so no adapter needed. The only thing I don't like about them is that they weigh about 100 lbs.

I've been looking at the champions and have heard good things about them

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> How much power do I need?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS