RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: anyone familiar with this tire ?

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > anyone familiar with this tire ?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Chris

Shelter Bay, Wa

Senior Member

Joined: 12/19/2000

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/10/12 09:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

boatpuller wrote:

Wills250psd wrote:

ExRocketScientist wrote:

Not sure what tires you currently have, but I suspect they have a maximum inflation pressure of 80 psi. This G rated Hankook will require about 110 PSI. Make sure your rims are rated for the higher pressure.

And please capitalize some of the letters in your posts (like the first letter of the first word in a sentence) -- it is difficult to read with everything all lowercase.
This isnt school if you dont like the way its written dont read it.

well said wills 250...there's a self appointed grammer monitor on every forum.he was polite however.
the bridgestone seems like a solid choice.i should have posted that i have a bighorn 3055 with 6 k axles.now,my only concern is diameter.i can't find the diameter of the 235/80/16 unicorns that it came with.the bridgestone duravis 250 is pushing 32in.any concern of distance between tires?


What is the center to center axle measurement? 235's normally require at least 33". There is also the 245/75R16 that is shorter and only slightly wider. Many use this size if axles are to close for the 235's. Both are rated to 3042 lbs at 80 lbs inflation. You will be fine until someone shows up and start railing about your placard and that you should not use a tire rated less than the OEM tire that might have been rated at 3420. Then they will tell you to use that type tire at 115 percent of your requirement, and around and around again we go.

FWIW you are on a good track with the R250's. I ran RIBs for 6.5 years and 40K+ miles and sold them for 200 bucks on CL. I installed R250's this time because they were cheaper, but just as good.

Chris


My Rig
2001.5 2500 STD CAB AUTO SLT 4x4, CTD 4:10's, Bomb'd to Tow
2005 Cardinal 29WBLX.

mapguy

Puget Sound

Senior Member

Joined: 09/02/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/10/12 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

boatpuller wrote:

now,my only concern is diameter.i can't find the diameter of the 235/80/16 unicorns that it came with.the bridgestone duravis 250 is pushing 32in.any concern of distance between tires?


The ST235/80R16 LRE tire is about 30.5 inches in diameter. It does vary a small amount by manufacturer.

LT235/85R16 LRE is about 31.7 in diameter (minimum 6.0" wheel required)
LT245/75R16 LRE is about 30.7 in diameter (minimum 6.5" wheel required)

You need 1" clearance between the tires and about 3" of bump clearance for axle articulation/travel at full loaded weight.

Chris

Shelter Bay, Wa

Senior Member

Joined: 12/19/2000

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/10/12 09:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SH wrote:

FastEagle wrote:

SH wrote:

mapguy wrote:

That is a decent tire. Capacity is 3330. Not enough capacity for 7K axles though. Considered this tire for my 6K axles but ended up using Bridgestone M895.


Help me out here...what is the issue with using this tire on a 7K axle if the axle weight of the coach is below 13K? Not being a smart a@@ I sincerely would like to know! Our rig fully loaded, ready to camp has only 10,500 lbs on the trailer axles. It has 7K axles and a GVWR of 15K but it will never see that weight.

Thanks!


Minimum safety standards are written into the regulations to protect the playing field - so to speak. Minimum tire requirements by DOT regulation - for RV trailer axles - must equal the vehicle’s certified GAWR.

FastEagle


I don't doubt your expertise but something just doesn't "add up". Manufacturers do not sell coaches with tires rated to the GAWR! My rig comes stock with ST235/80R16-E rated tires and 7K axles as do many. A load range E is rated for 3420lbs...less than the 7K axle rating. I changed to Goodyear 614's load range G just for my own piece of mind.

I am so confused!


What is the GAWR on the placard. Forget the axles, they can derate them on the placard. If the Placard list 7k GAWR then they owe you tires that can meet that requirement.

Keystone uses lots of 7K axles with 3420 tires, however the placard list GAWR at 6750 pounds.

Chris

gitane59

Ontario, Can

Senior Member

Joined: 02/21/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/10/12 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

boatpuller wrote:

Wills250psd wrote:

ExRocketScientist wrote:

Not sure what tires you currently have, but I suspect they have a maximum inflation pressure of 80 psi. This G rated Hankook will require about 110 PSI. Make sure your rims are rated for the higher pressure.

And please capitalize some of the letters in your posts (like the first letter of the first word in a sentence) -- it is difficult to read with everything all lowercase.
This isnt school if you dont like the way its written dont read it.

well said wills 250...there's a self appointed grammer monitor on every forum.he was polite however.
the bridgestone seems like a solid choice.i should have posted that i have a bighorn 3055 with 6 k axles.now,my only concern is diameter.i can't find the diameter of the 235/80/16 unicorns that it came with.the bridgestone duravis 250 is pushing 32in.any concern of distance between tires?


I don't understand why you don't seem to see the importance and intent of the counsel you have received.
If you can't or won't find the shift key to capitalize you sentences then please double space every sentence so your thoughts can be read and taken seriously.
I hope you realize and care about the way you come across when you won't capitalizing your sentences.


2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,
2010 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW 6.4L Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite Airbags

SH

Lynden, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 09/27/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/10/12 07:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FastEagle wrote:

SH wrote:

mapguy wrote:

That is a decent tire. Capacity is 3330. Not enough capacity for 7K axles though. Considered this tire for my 6K axles but ended up using Bridgestone M895.


Help me out here...what is the issue with using this tire on a 7K axle if the axle weight of the coach is below 13K? Not being a smart a@@ I sincerely would like to know! Our rig fully loaded, ready to camp has only 10,500 lbs on the trailer axles. It has 7K axles and a GVWR of 15K but it will never see that weight.

Thanks!


Minimum safety standards are written into the regulations to protect the playing field - so to speak. Minimum tire requirements by DOT regulation - for RV trailer axles - must equal the vehicle’s certified GAWR.

FastEagle


I don't doubt your expertise but something just doesn't "add up". Manufacturers do not sell coaches with tires rated to the GAWR! My rig comes stock with ST235/80R16-E rated tires and 7K axles as do many. A load range E is rated for 3420lbs...less than the 7K axle rating. I changed to Goodyear 614's load range G just for my own piece of mind.

I am so confused!


2011 Heartland Big Country 3450TS
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo
Heartland Owners Club - Washington Chapter Leaders


FastEagle

Taylors, SC

Senior Member

Joined: 03/05/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/10/12 04:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SH wrote:

mapguy wrote:

That is a decent tire. Capacity is 3330. Not enough capacity for 7K axles though. Considered this tire for my 6K axles but ended up using Bridgestone M895.


Help me out here...what is the issue with using this tire on a 7K axle if the axle weight of the coach is below 13K? Not being a smart a@@ I sincerely would like to know! Our rig fully loaded, ready to camp has only 10,500 lbs on the trailer axles. It has 7K axles and a GVWR of 15K but it will never see that weight.

Thanks!


Minimum safety standards are written into the regulations to protect the playing field - so to speak. Minimum tire requirements by DOT regulation - for RV trailer axles - must equal the vehicle’s certified GAWR.

FastEagle

gitane59

Ontario, Can

Senior Member

Joined: 02/21/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/11/12 06:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVUSA wrote:

gitane59 wrote:

If you can't or won't find the shift key to capitalize you sentences then please double space every sentence so your thoughts can be read and taken seriously.


If you're going to criticize others about grammar, at least spell your own words correctly.


Oops Good catch my friend As they say "touche".

RVUSA

Orlando, FL, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/04/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/10/12 10:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gitane59 wrote:

If you can't or won't find the shift key to capitalize you sentences then please double space every sentence so your thoughts can be read and taken seriously.


If you're going to criticize others about grammar, at least spell your own words correctly.

FastEagle

Taylors, SC

Senior Member

Joined: 03/05/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/10/12 10:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SH wrote:



I don't doubt your expertise but something just doesn't "add up". Manufacturers do not sell coaches with tires rated to the GAWR! My rig comes stock with ST235/80R16-E rated tires and 7K axles as do many. A load range E is rated for 3420lbs...less than the 7K axle rating. I changed to Goodyear 614's load range G just for my own piece of mind.

I am so confused!


ST235/80R16E tires can be rated as high as 3520# making any over 3500# legal on 7000# axles. A check of the sidewall may be needed to insure your actual load capacity.

FE

Edit: p.s. I think some of Heartland's fivers come with OE TowMax tires. Here are their specs.

TowMax specs

* This post was edited 04/10/12 10:31pm by FastEagle *

boatpuller

longview,wa

New Member

Joined: 07/13/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/11/12 08:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVUSA wrote:

gitane59 wrote:

If you can't or won't find the shift key to capitalize you sentences then please double space every sentence so your thoughts can be read and taken seriously.


If you're going to criticize others about grammar, at least spell your own words correctly.


lol...or should i say LOL !!..
either way,thanks to those who helped me..and,to those who choose to judge me...mow your own back yard.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > anyone familiar with this tire ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS