RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Question RE: Battery Disconnect / Landing Gear

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Question RE: Battery Disconnect / Landing Gear

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
OktsCamp

Alberta, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 05/22/2006

View Profile



Posted: 04/09/12 12:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So we picked up our new KZ Durango which has the Rieco Titan 4PT levellng system installed...4 electric jacks. 2 are front landing gear and 2 more in the rear.

When I turn the battery disconnect to off, I can still power the jacks. No other 12V source exists inside (everything appears to be off)so I am not getting any unnecessary battery drawhile in storage, so my question is, given the Rieco system still seems operable with the disconnect off....doesen't that sort of defeat the purpose of the disconnect? I woould not think they draw any power unless they are being operated.

Please help me if I am misunderstanding something.

Thanks
Mike


Seeking Class "A"

laknox

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 01/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/09/12 01:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OktsCamp wrote:

So we picked up our new KZ Durango which has the Rieco Titan 4PT levellng system installed...4 electric jacks. 2 are front landing gear and 2 more in the rear.

When I turn the battery disconnect to off, I can still power the jacks. No other 12V source exists inside (everything appears to be off)so I am not getting any unnecessary battery drawhile in storage, so my question is, given the Rieco system still seems operable with the disconnect off....doesen't that sort of defeat the purpose of the disconnect? I woould not think they draw any power unless they are being operated.

Please help me if I am misunderstanding something.

Thanks
Mike


Mike, I think every RV with electric jacks has them hot-wired direct to the battery, from the factory. Not sure how good an idea this is with an auto-leveling system, unless the system has a "set" point that locks out any further adjustment. With "regular" jacks, it's a moot point since there's no current draw unless the switch is activated. If there =is=, then you've got a short somewhere.

Lyle


2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2004 Komfort 25FSG Fifth Wheel
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 55 Year Member

RoyB

King George, VA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/13/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/09/12 01:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

removed - overcome by events

* This post was edited 04/09/12 03:14pm by RoyB *


My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52


OktsCamp

Alberta, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 05/22/2006

View Profile



Posted: 04/09/12 02:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good info...thanks very much.

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

Senior Member

Joined: 02/04/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/09/12 02:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyB wrote:

Most of those I have ever seen have one of these auto reset circuit breakers directly attached to the battery terminal. They only draw current when the raise/lower switch is activated.



ALot of trailer slide-outs and roof for POPUPs , electric tongue jacks, etc all do the same thing. They are not powered through the trailer 12VDC Power Distibution Center but are wired directly to the battery terminals.

What does the auto-reset circuit breaker have to do with anything? The power is always on through it unless it has tripped. All that does is take the place of a fuse..

B.O.


2011 Big Country 3250TS...2010 Ram CC Laramie 4wd Cummins

fpresto

Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 08/01/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/09/12 02:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Rieco Titan is wired directly to the battery. The control box automatically shuts the system off after 15 seconds of no activity. That is why you have to turn it on, LED on, each time you use the system. If the dealer did not give you a manual you can download one here manual. It is the installation and operating manual.


USN Retired
2007 Cedar Creek 30 RLSTS
2008 F350, DRW, V-10, B&W hitch,
Pressure Pro, JT Strongarms

RoyB

King George, VA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/13/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/09/12 03:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

removed - overcome by events

* This post was edited 04/09/12 03:15pm by RoyB *

OktsCamp

Alberta, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 05/22/2006

View Profile



Posted: 04/09/12 03:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fpresto wrote:

The Rieco Titan is wired directly to the battery. The control box automatically shuts the system off after 15 seconds of no activity. That is why you have to turn it on, LED on, each time you use the system. If the dealer did not give you a manual you can download one here manual. It is the installation and operating manual.


The only difference is mine is not the wireless version. My mistake because I did not select this option. So, I have 4 toggle switches behind a small door, one for each leg. Its a real pain because you cannot see the rears unless your on your knees looking underneath. I talked to Rieco and they said I could add the brains for the wireless system in place of the piece that is there now...for another $383. I will decide shortly whether or not that's the way to go. I really wish I would have just selected in from new....my bad.

laknox

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 01/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/09/12 04:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OktsCamp wrote:

fpresto wrote:

The Rieco Titan is wired directly to the battery. The control box automatically shuts the system off after 15 seconds of no activity. That is why you have to turn it on, LED on, each time you use the system. If the dealer did not give you a manual you can download one here manual. It is the installation and operating manual.


The only difference is mine is not the wireless version. My mistake because I did not select this option. So, I have 4 toggle switches behind a small door, one for each leg. Its a real pain because you cannot see the rears unless your on your knees looking underneath. I talked to Rieco and they said I could add the brains for the wireless system in place of the piece that is there now...for another $383. I will decide shortly whether or not that's the way to go. I really wish I would have just selected in from new....my bad.


With the manual adjustment, if no switches are pressed, there's no draw, so no disconnect is really needed =there=. With the MW oven, gas sensors, stereos, TV's etc., they all have parasitic draw and that's what the disconnect really helps with, though it's not a bad idea to have one at the battery terminal, as well, just in case you get critters nibbling away at wiring that might cause a short. My disconnect is directly above the main door.

Lyle

byronlj

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 11/30/2002

View Profile



Posted: 04/10/12 12:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would definitely buy the remote for $383. I have one and it is very convenient.
Dave


byronlj
07.5 Silverado LTZ Ex. Cab 3500HD dually 4X4 duramax LMM/allison 6spd
07 HR Presidential Suite 37RLQ


This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Question RE: Battery Disconnect / Landing Gear
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS