RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Tires...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Tires...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
MudChucker

Niverville Manitoba

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 12:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently inspected my current tires and see evidence of age in side the tread - cracked rubber etc...

I phone around and all anyone wants to sell me are chinese tires... with the Galaxy Road Rider ST at the top of the list.

the good year fountain tire store, the Michelin store, and various trailer companies all tell me that these are a great tire etc etc etc.

great tire from china ? could it be ? I suppose maybe as it seems anything we buy these days is from china.

I found and older post where someone commented that the galaxy tires are rated for 50 mph... Im not able to confirm this information as most sites I look at have N/A listed in the speed rating column...

Does anyone have anything experience with these tires that they could share ?

* This post was edited 04/10/12 07:10am by MudChucker *

2005 PILGRIM 274RL 5SS
2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 6.0

MudChucker

Niverville Manitoba

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 01:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

found a site that does indicate a 50 mph speed rating...

http://www.dynamictire.com/userTireSearch.do?reqCode=describe&tireApplicationId=32&id=452

Im not too sure if Im all that comfortable towing a trailer where Im at 100% of the max speed rating of its tires

MudChucker

Niverville Manitoba

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 01:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

calling a dealer to have them take a look at the sidewall rating on a galaxy... 50mph seems sorta foolish when most highway speeds in North America are 55 to 75 mph.

dealer told me to stop reading misinformation on the internet...

they have sold hundreds of sets of these and no complaints.

I also called a good year dealer, they sell more galaxy tires then they do marathons...I told the good year guy I was OK with paying $300.00 more for the marathons and he said they dont stock them but they do stock the galaxy tires.

* This post was edited 04/09/12 01:28pm by MudChucker *

pdogg

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 01:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not all Chinese tires are crap... brand name has a lot to do with it.

I had put Kumho 857 tires on my last trailer, they were rated very well, and they performed great for me.

I put a set of Hancook dynapro tires on my truck and they are working great also, but I think they are of South Korean origin.

MudChucker

Niverville Manitoba

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 02:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pdogg, you have a good point...

I spent some more time on the phone calling the various tire dealers in my area and the go to tire is the Galaxy...

I guess I do have a warranty and a spare tire...

Chris

Shelter Bay, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 02:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, you want to install tires that no one has ever heard about? Chris

My Rig
2001.5 2500 STD CAB AUTO SLT 4x4, CTD 4:10's, Bomb'd to Tow
2005 Cardinal 29WBLX.

Ezbagr

Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 02:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would run from all st tires. Put on some LT`s.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 04:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maxxis are the ONLY ST tires that my trailer will ever run (unless I start having problems with them). So far I've got over 40,000 miles with each of my last two sets of them and a darned good start on the next set. I prefer to stay with the ST rated tires because of the side wall strength. If you go with LT then go up a load range to compensate for weaker side walls. They DO give you a whole lot more brands to choose from.

Most tire dealers purchase their tires from a wholesaler who handles virtually all brands. The dealer may not carry Maxxis in his inventory but he more than likely has access to them as an order. Usually takes them a day or two to get a set into their store (if they want to). That's how I buy my Maxis sense we have no dealer in town who carries them.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Chris

Shelter Bay, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipnchar wrote:

Maxxis are the ONLY ST tires that my trailer will ever run (unless I start having problems with them). So far I've got over 40,000 miles with each of my last two sets of them and a darned good start on the next set. I prefer to stay with the ST rated tires because of the side wall strength. If you go with LT then go up a load range to compensate for weaker side walls. They DO give you a whole lot more brands to choose from.

Most tire dealers purchase their tires from a wholesaler who handles virtually all brands. The dealer may not carry Maxxis in his inventory but he more than likely has access to them as an order. Usually takes them a day or two to get a set into their store (if they want to). That's how I buy my Maxis sense we have no dealer in town who carries them.

You always post about ST sidewalls being stronger than LT sidewalls. Would you please post a reference that supports that theory. Because they are stronger than P or car tires but not LT tires. Carlisle makes that exact statement on their web site. Chris

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 07:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I sure would check every user review resource in the book before i purchased any strange to me tire these days.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Tires...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS