|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Packing for 3 week trip

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
dlos

raleigh, nc

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 02:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are getting closer by the day to our big trip out west in June! We'll be gone about 15 days total.

For those of you who've done the big trips, how do you pack your TT? What items do you bring as much of as possible? What do you prefer to pick up at grocery stores along the way? Dry goods? What do you try to carry the least of (heavy items)?

Looking for any and all advice here!

Thanks

2010 Nissan Armada Titanium w/BT Mirrors
2010 KZ Spree 240BHS LX
Prodigy 2 Controller
Equal-i-zer Sway Control Hitch

Nights Camped in 2013: 9

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 02:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have done a couple of cross country loops...each was 3 months long.
We packed very light...enough clothes for about a week (then off to the dreaded laundry mat)

We packed enough food for a couple of days..maybe 4.
You will not be camping on the moon or in the upper reaches of Outer Swambolia.
Everything and anything you will need and want will be available at the next off ramp.

Why haul along 10 cans of pork and beans when you can get them along the way?
Have a great trip.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP

MudChucker

Niverville Manitoba

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 02:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

oh man... I just got excited for you folks

We go for 3 to 4 weeks at a time as well.

we pack more "things to do" good weather outdoors, and bad weather indoors sort of stuff...

we prefer to go grocery shopping and travel with a full freezer of prefab frozen home made dinners, we also fill a shelf with frozen food and let it thaw over the first week on the road. Vegy's milk etc, we just stop at grocery stores, good way to stretch your legs a little while on the road anyway

we will be leaving in the middle of May and our preparations have begun already.

the foil bread pans stack perfectly in the fridge and freezer...

2005 PILGRIM 274RL 5SS
2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 6.0

JoeGood988

S.Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 02:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you travel for 5 days going West, it will take you 5 days to get back, leaving you 5 days so see the sights...unless where you're going is closer and then you'll have more time to relax and enjoy.
Campfire things, forks, marshmellows, hot dogs is a must. Maybe a few movies in case it rains and you're stuck inside. You can never have too many snacks or fruit. Plan on cooking more outside so have a griddle, BBQ grill, etc.
Have extra water hose and sewer hose just in case along with elecrtrical adapters. Boards for leveling & wheel chocks.

2003 3330 Jayco Legacy

obgraham

TriCites WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 03:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plenty of TP.
And a "backup roll" stashed away where the wimmin won't see it!

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 03:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dlos wrote:

We are getting closer by the day to our big trip out west in June! We'll be gone about 15 days total.

For those of you who've done the big trips, how do you pack your TT? What items do you bring as much of as possible? What do you prefer to pick up at grocery stores along the way? Dry goods? What do you try to carry the least of (heavy items)?

Looking for any and all advice here!

Thanks

Where out west are you going since you'll only be gone 2 weeks?

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Badger Dog plus "Ollie"
"The Traveling Koala"
2012 Koala 21CS
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
And Equal-i-zer WDH/Sway Control

Sluggo54

Madison, SD/Livermore, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 03:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pack a Coach-Net card and leave the bottle jacks, three tool boxes, and all that stuff at home. I'm too old for that activity anyway.

Sluggo

DH = Bruce, DW = PK, DD = Maggie (Lab, Pointer, Viszla)RIP 4/13/2007
Apprentice Princess = Kaia Grace (Blue Heeler - Wire Haired Terrorist)
TV = 2005 Chev CC LWB Max & Allie
5'er = 2005 Excel R30CKW

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mountains in SW VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 03:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the 3-4 weeks before a long trip, I will save and freeze leftovers in individual tupperware (or whatever) containers. These go in the fridge a few days before we leave. I will pack one loaf of bread, milk, eggs, bacon, sausage, etc. enough for a few meals. If we get to camp late in the evening, take a container out of the freezer, pop in the zapper for a minute or two and presto - instant dinner.

If I have a hankering for something in particular, we will stop at a grocery and purchase the items needed.

I always have sandwich stuff (ham, turkey, bolo, etc.), so we can always do those for dinner, if needed.

For clothing, I will pack 7 pairs of shorts, 2 pair pants, 7 pairs underwear, 3 gowns, 7 shirts, 1 lightweight jacket, 2 bathing suits, 1 pair sandals, 1 pair flip flops, 1 pair sneakers, and a heavy-duty pair of shoes/boots. I pack the same for DH and DD's. I will usually add a few shorts/shirts for them since they like to play in the mud more than I do.

When the clothes are almost all dirty, it's time for the laundry-mat. I take at least one of the DDs with me - they think it's cool!! Sometimes, DH will volunteer to go. I always put small bottles of laundry detergent, small container of bleach/alternative and fabric softener in when loading for the season. If I run out, I restock from the house.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 03:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For a three weeker we would probably bring enough clothes that we would plan on NOT doing any laundry during the trip. Our hamper will hold three weeks clothes pretty easily. We usually grocery shop about a week at a time. Makes it easy to be sure we have fresh bread, produce etc though some items we may bring for the entire trip. Of course if you're stopping to shop anyway no reason to do anything out of the usual to pack food items. There are some things that you can always be sure of having no difficulty in finding and those are food and fuel. It's MUCH easier to pack for three or four weeks with an RV than it was when we were packing the sailboat with plans to be gone that long.

Of course any recreational type of things you'd want to bring like bicycles, back packing gear, camping supplies etc. I HOPE you don't carry fire wood from place to place. It's illegal in many (but not many enough) parts of the country. Always burn it where you buy it and if you can't burn it, leave it for the next camper. Transporting it is a sure way to spread disease to our forests.

Good luck and enjoy the trip / Skip

* This post was edited 04/09/12 04:04pm by skipnchar *

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

dahkota

Fulltiming

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 03:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't want to feel like I have to go to the grocery store or have to go to the laundromat so I pack what could be considered a lot. 10 days of clothes so that I have a couple extra days leeway on finding a laundromat. At least enough food for 6 or 7 breakfasts, lunches, and dinners (about 21 meals in all). We stop for meals while driving and hit farmers' markets and such to fill out the rest. I don't want to feel that I have to grocery shop on a certain day so we don't starve. I have to admit though, that my two most hated chores are grocery shopping and laundry.

Other than that, the same stuff we take on a weekend trip but we add extra towels.

2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped, 2014: 22

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Packing for 3 week trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts