|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Packing for 3 week trip

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
PhilipB

MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 04:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wife would pack plenty of dry snacks. About 5 meals worth of meat in freezer. With 5 in family we would usually have 1 weeks worth of food not including milk. We packed about 5-6 days worth of everyday clothes and one nice set.

Camping Family
Me, Mom, 3 Boyz & Toyz
2004 GMC 2500HD D/A CC
2005 Ameri-Camp 321QBS

pasusan

PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 04:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We pack a lot. Nothing worse than wasting vacation time shopping or washing clothes. Yuck. Of course there will be the 5 minute stops at the grocery for fresh stuff, but it better not take longer than that!

What we pack the most of - paper towels. They weigh almost nothing and it is a real drag to run out when you need them.

And... Wait a minute - 15 days is more like 2 weeks, not 3. Easily bring enough clothes and food.

Trip Pics

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben ~
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 04:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If we are going to be gone three weeks or less I pack three weeks worth of skivies, socks, Tshirts and a mix of shorts and jeans. The DW does the same for the DGKs and herself. If it is going to be shorter we pack less. If it's going to be two or three months we try to take fours weeks worth without the DGKs and three weeks worth with them.

We found out on our last trip that prepared meals for two are sure nice, we seem to travel for longs hours and to be able to heat and eat is nice. We try to take dry goods and buy fresh meat along the way. The grand kids love original Hamberger Helper(only while we're camping) and Nana's spaghetti and a few other meals that require fresh meat and just wing the rest. We try to find Trader Joe's markets along our route and get my granola and DW's toaster bread. A dear friend in Beloit gave use freezer containers of chili and one of her spagetti sauce. There was just enough for two and was a nice change.

Water, Pepsi and beer are our really big things. DW is very picky about her water and drinks pepsi a lot and I love shopping for local beers. They are the heaviest things we carry food wise and usually three to four weeks worth of water and pepsi.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
1990 Bounder 27D
06 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4
Stowmaster 5000
Blue Ox Apollo Brake Sys.(missing after break in, shopping for new one)

michael8rc

Here

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 04:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year we were on the road for eleven weeks. We packed enough clothes for two weeks and enough food to fill the fridge and freezer. We enjoy doing the laundry as most places have free wifi. We grill most our meals and listen to the neighbors comments of "When will dinner be served". As much as we like leftovers, we enjoy eating fresh made meals while on the road. We do not over pack as we are never far from a store to obtain the items we need.

1998 Dodge Club Cab 4x4
2010 Wildwood 292FKDS

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 04:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We dry camp without hookups most of the time. Our utilities, batteries, water, and waste normally need to be charged and dumped about every 4 or 5 days. We will roll into a full hookup park for a couple of days and shop, do laundry, and recharge the batteries. So we bring enough clothes and frig and freezer food for about 5 days.

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

Mark and Linda

Smyrna, Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 04:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember, if you have to make an overnight stop at a Walmart...most are open 24 hrs. Enjoy your trip...sounds like fun to me.

TexasShadow

Spring Branch, TX USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

how many in your group?
for two, take enough for two weeks, but remember, you're camping. you don't have to change your jeans every day. we typically wear ours at least 3 days.
so you can carry enough underwear and t shirts for 2 weeks. Take a couple shirts for "dress up".
and you can use the same towel a couple or three times.. (his and hers)..do them by color if you want to keep them separate.
If you don't want to tote 5 pr jeans apiece with you, plan on one day at a laundrymat.
as for groceries, carry as much of the dry goods stuff as you have room for.
fill your freezer and icebox from home to start with.
and ditto to plenty of tp and paper towels.

TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
( Sometimes ) BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad
M&G aux brake system
Datastorm 3990
854 watts of solar power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

MudChucker

Niverville Manitoba

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 07:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Consider some 2 way radios for everyone..much easier the depending on cel service..

2005 PILGRIM 274RL 5SS
2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 6.0

dlos

raleigh, nc

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I made a typo in my post, we'll be gone 25 days minimum, not 15!

We're going to Yellowstone as the main destination but will also visit GTNP, Custer State Park area as well as a few other points of interest on the way out. We'll see what time is left for stops on the way back.

There are 4 of us, wife and 2 teens. We have plenty of room for whatever we need. I've already got some great tips from reading all the replies, this place never fails!

2010 Nissan Armada Titanium w/BT Mirrors
2010 KZ Spree 240BHS LX
Prodigy 2 Controller
Equal-i-zer Sway Control Hitch

Nights Camped in 2013: 9

anaro

Mebane, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 07:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dlos wrote:

I made a typo in my post, we'll be gone 25 days minimum, not 15!

We're going to Yellowstone as the main destination but will also visit GTNP, Custer State Park area as well as a few other points of interest on the way out. We'll see what time is left for stops on the way back.

There are 4 of us, wife and 2 teens. We have plenty of room for whatever we need. I've already got some great tips from reading all the replies, this place never fails!

I'm jealous, I'm dying to make this trip out west. I will have to wait until DD is older though as she is too young to remember it now. Enjoy it!

2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold after 3 1/2 yrs and 76 nights camped in it!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Packing for 3 week trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS