RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Electric blanket control says "Error" while on inverter?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Electric blanket control says "Error" while on inverter?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
FIRE UP

Ramona, CA. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 04:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ladies and Gents,
A while ago, while we were remotely camping in our local desert, a couple that was with us who, has a completely different coach than us, had an issue with their electric blanket while on their inverter for the evening. They asked me if we'd ever encountered any problems running an electric blanket on the inverter. I replied that I've never tried it so, I could not answer them honestly.

They said their control for the blanket, which has a little LCD screen on it said "error" when they tried to use it while on their inverter. Hmmmmmm

So, the very next night, I thought I'd try running ours on our inverter. Guess what, SAME THING!!!!! Our control which also has a little LCD screen popped up with "Error" on it and would not turn on th electric blanket. I thought what the heck here. It's not like I'm running an arc welder, it's cheesy little electric blanket, how much of a problem should that be???

The blanket is around 4-5 years old. So, what ever technology was used to build that thing back then has some sort of disagreement with inverter technology. Our inverter is a Dimensions 2000 watt Inverter/Charger. I'm not certain if it's a MSW or a PSW. I'll have to get into the book for it to see what they say about it. Anyone else have this issue? And or, do you have an explanation as to why these blankets are having a hard time running on inverters?

I'm not planning on doing this as a habit, running the E/B on inverter that is, I'm just curious as to the reason for the "error" code in the control. Thanks
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 04:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Arm chain guess, both coaches have a modified sine wave convertor and the blankets didn't like the flavor of the power.

2006 Hurricane 31D aka 'Moby' the Whale
FCC(SW) US Navy Retired 1980-2003
Stella my Navigator
Bogart the All American RV Dog
and
Cocoui waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge

w4phj

Vero Beach, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 06:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 My electric bed pad will only work on PSW. My digital alarm clock is the same way....Nothing else in the coach is sensitive.

2005 Bounder 37U Cat C7 Engine
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
2002 Dodge Durango SLT Plus 4X4
ARRL Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

imgoin4it

Alamogordo, NM USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 06:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Digital controls of any kind will not work on modified sine wave invertersd. Must have a pure sine wave.

Retired and loving it
Living in the Land of Enchantment
Traveling in 2007 Newmar KSDP
towing a Jeep Liberty
with a Blue Ox tow bar

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 05:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm just guessing as to why your electric blanket (and theirs) would have a problem. But I do know that regular household power (and of course, "shore power") is pure sine wave power, and inverters are one of two flavors: either pure sine wave, like house current, or "modified sine wave," which is to say square wave). Many 120 v AC devices are perfectly happy with either, but some are picky, and demand pure sine wave. The heating elements in the blanket would be fine with either, but the controller might be picky.

It happens that making a pure sine wave inverter is substantially more expensive than making a modified sine wave one, so the modified ones get used a lot. It is quite possible that your coaches have modified sine wave inverters. They would work perfectly for hair dryers, lights, small heaters, battery chargers, computers, coffee makers, and many, many other things RVers use.

What modified sine wave won't work for would be, oh, photography studio strobes (some brands), or some televisions, or home entertainment systems. Or, perhaps, the controllers of some electric blankets.

Rqse7

Tularosa New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 04:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been there done that...the converter won't handle the blanket. Try turning the generator on, it should be OK then.

SCVJeff

Santa Clarita, CA.

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 07:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not exactly true, but that is the case with most electric blankets. If you insist on running one with an MSW inverter, there is a very good chance you will let all the smoke out sooner than later.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

CT_WANDERER

E. Lyme, CT

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a PSW inverter and if nothing else on on and it is in stand-by. I can not get my electric mattess pad to work. The control of the pad heater will not fire the inverter up, however if the TV is on or something else, I can turn on the heater and it will work. Will run after turning off the TV. It just seems that the control circut can not turn the inverter on.

jvander

Indianapolis

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 09:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's the MSW/PSW issue, as others have said. If you have an older electric blanket, try that instead. The new ones are low voltage digital, the old ones are just high voltage with a rheostat temp control.

1993 Coachmen Catalina 31'
Chevy P30, 454 TBI, Hedman Hedders w/ x-pipe and Jones Full Boar mufflers. Same mileage as stock exhaust, but we get there faster!
Looking for a better rig...

Fishinghat

Western Washington, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 10:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not only will the power from the inverter give you an error code, but on our blanket it burnt out one of the resisters (I think that's what it is called) in the controller. I took it apart and soldered in a new resister and now it works fine. I just have to remember to unplug it anytime we are not connected to shore power (or running the generator).

Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Electric blanket control says "Error" while on inverter?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS