|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Leveling TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Huntindog

phoenix arizona USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 07:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just got back from a trial. One of the fellas there got his first TT a little while ago and is still learning.

This time I was just finishing my setup and noticed that his had the tounge on the ground and the rear really high. I went over there to find him and another trialer trying to jack it back up with bottle jacks.

He had used 2x6 boards to level it, and the ground gave way causing the TT to roll off the boards.

I told him about the advantages of digging holes for his high side wheels....He is now a believer.

Although, when I went over there later he had his high tires in holes, and then used all his lumber to chock it in every way possible...
I told him that gravity was his friend and all that wasn't needed.

He replied that after what just happened, he was using a belt, suspenders, and a rope!

* This post was edited 04/10/12 01:38am by Huntindog *

Huntindog
2010 Palomino Sabre 30BHDS
TWO bathrooms...No waiting!
MICHELIN XPS RIBS LRE
2011 Silverado Big Dually 3500 4x4 CC D/A
EQUALIZER Hitch
100% BOONDOCKING
Check out Rusty and her pups at www.bluecollarbrittanys.com

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a LOT of campgrounds that would frown on digging holes in their camping pads I'd suggest he get rid of that wheel on the tongue since it's counter productive to the purpose of keeping a trailer still. Also to buy a set of wheel chocks (X Chalk style if he has a tandem axle trailer and solid wedges for a single axle) and MOST importantly, learn how to use them.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

dupreet

High Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 08:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I second not digging holes - never done it and don't intend on angering any CG owners. I have gone up on three or four 2x6's on the low side numerous times camping. If you chock both sides' tires, especially the ones on the ground, and don't have a wheel on your tongue jack, you aren't going anywhere. Once you plant your stabilizers, "no worries"!

Happy Camping!

Todd

1993 Ford E-350 pushed by a 1988 Wilderness 24' TT

wbrown62

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 08:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ditto on not digging holes! Besides, thats just extra work. Use wheel chocks. Easier than digging and keeps campground owners from running you off with a shotgun!

2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 08:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some people just have a way of making things harder than they have to be. I have made it my business to make it as easy as possible.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Bob/Olallawa

Kitsap Co, WA/ Bullhead City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 09:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is easy to take the high side down a couple inches and use the material to raise the low side. If you have to set the step side up high on blocks it doesn't make it easy to get in and out of the rv. If the park owner would spend a bit of time leveling the sites instead of grousing about someone leveling them as needed the park would be a better place. Shotgun, I don't think a gun fight is needed.

Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had to kill because they pissed me off.

LIKE2BUILD

Mt. Zion, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 09:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I level my trailer I follow this procedure:
1) level side to side by placing lynx levelers under the low side wheels
2) chock the wheels using my homemade rotochock style chicks made from a section of 1/2 pipe, pipe clamp ends, and 4X4 sections cut to fit
3) unhook from truck
4) level front to rear with tongue jack
5) run down scissor jacks on the corners

I have never dug out under the high side wheels and I am sure the park ranger would take issue with that.

KJ

'02 Jayco Qwest 324G
'04 Chevy 2500HD CrewCab |6.0L|2X4|4.10:1 | Eaton Posi-Trac
Curt MagnumV receiver
Eaz-Lift Hitch with Reese Dual Cam
2000 Crownline 205BR
'96 Polaris SLT780 PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (12, 6, & 4)
1 forgiving wife!!!

anaro

Mebane, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 10:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The next camper can thank you for creating a hole to drive through or twist an ankle in. I use lynx levelers and appropriate chocks on both sides. No problems yet.

2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold after 3 1/2 yrs and 76 nights camped in it!

Huntindog

phoenix arizona USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 11:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Relax.

We aren't anywhere near a "campground". It is soft dirt with lots of gopher and rabbit holes present,,,along with cactus etc. There is NO campground owner to get angry. This is typical camping in the southwest.

Digging of holes means that it is impossible for the TT to fall out of the holes if the earth should give away a few inches. The TT has a lower profile and is more stable when the ever present wind whips up. No need for wheel chocks so long as gravity remains present. The door remains lower to the ground. We don't need to carry any lumber, and can use that capacity for items that are important such as water. etc. We all carry shovels anyways as we need to fill in dog holes before leaving and clean up after the dogs. SO the shovel becomes a multi purpose tool. And it is super easy to do.

* This post was edited 04/10/12 01:40am by Huntindog *

Huntindog

phoenix arizona USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 01:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

anaro wrote:

The next camper can thank you for creating a hole to drive through or twist an ankle in. I use lynx levelers and appropriate chocks on both sides. No problems yet.

Another assumption. Did I say I left the holes?
That makes about as much sense as me assuming that you all leave your leveling blocks or lumber laying around for the next camper to trip over.

Although I have on numerous occasions seen just that.
The lumber is usually used as fire starter, or if it is a really good piece I will take it home for a upcoming project.
The Lynx blocks I find get sold at my next garage sale..

I am apprecative of those peoples contributions to MY fire or wallet.:

* This post was edited 04/10/12 04:08am by Huntindog *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Leveling TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: