RV.Net Open Roads Forum: When do you decide to level left to right??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> When do you decide to level left to right??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
remoandiris

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Knowing to level front to back is easy. I have a bubble level at the compartment of my front landing gear. I can tell right away if I need to retract or extend the front gear. Leveling left and right is not so easy.

I have been in only 2 CGs with sites that were noticeably uneven L-R, but just lived with it for the few days I was there.

At what point in the setup process do you folks check level L-R? How do you check it? I thought about putting a torpedo level on the pin box while still attached to the truck, but I don't know if it will work correctly.

2011 GMC 3500 Dually
New to me 2006 Jayco Designer 38RDQS
2 Boxers and a Maine Coon

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 07:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have one of those big bubble levels on the pin box that I can see from the truck mirror. a full index mark to one side or the other is two of my stackable leveling pads. Just a learned behavior after a few trial and errors.

I get a little uneasy if we are off to far left to right.

"By the time a man asks for advise he usually has already made up his mind and is looking for confirmation more than opinion" -Sidney Harris

HTT to be?

Southern Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

R to L is the first thing to be corrected. While we are still hooked up we check the level to see if we need to lay a block or two down to have her sitting level. So we back her in to the exact spot we want the trailer, then ck for r/l level, if needed, pull forward just enough to lay blocks needed, then back her up and ck she is right. Then we put in chocks and unhook

2007 Jayco 23B
2009 E350 Ford Club Wagon 5.4 w/ tow pkg
Equalizer hitch, Prodigy P3 brake controller
Buddy 125 Scooter-FUN!
1997 Coleman Sunridge- Served us well for 11 years!

Bill & Kate

Stone Harbor, NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a set of the RV levels that indicate about how many inches the trailer is out of level - one is mounted for and aft, and the other side to side. Once I get backed into the site, I check the side to side level. I have found that if I am within 1 inch of level, we can't tell the difference. Ideally, we like our trailer tilted slightly (1 inch or less) to the port side because (due to the layout of our trailer) the bathtub, kitchen sink, and both holding tanks drain to that side. We carry an assortment of 2x12 by 1 foot long that we can drive up onto to get things more or less level side to side. As you have said, fore and aft is easy ....

Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Molson (goldendoodle) and Zeke (partipoodle) (recently rescued puppy)
2005 Ford/Quigley 4x4 E-350 Chateau Super Duty Van with 6.0L PSD ("Moby")
2012 Outback Super Light 277RL - 10th Anniversary Edition ("Salty Dog House II")

AZ T&T

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 07:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mile High wrote:

I have one of those big bubble levels on the pin box that I can see from the truck mirror. a full index mark to one side or the other is two of my stackable leveling pads. Just a learned behavior after a few trial and errors.

I get a little uneasy if we are off to far left to right.

X2

AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

avvidclif1

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 08:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X3 on the bubble level on the pin box. When the DW determines that's where she wants the trailer I look at the level in the mirror and she gets out the required blocks to level L to R. Once done I put in the tire locks and unhitch and then level front to back. Lower the rear jack and then I start on the hook-ups while she goes in and runs out the slides and does the inside. By the time I get the electric, water, and sewer hooked up the inside is ready, the awning comes out along with 2 chairs and cold beer... Life is good....

Clif & Millie
Ozzie half a dog tall and 2 dogs long
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2013 Crossroads Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition

wandering1

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 08:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

remoandiris wrote:

Knowing to level front to back is easy. I have a bubble level at the compartment of my front landing gear. I can tell right away if I need to retract or extend the front gear. Leveling left and right is not so easy.

I have been in only 2 CGs with sites that were noticeably uneven L-R, but just lived with it for the few days I was there.

At what point in the setup process do you folks check level L-R? How do you check it? I thought about putting a torpedo level on the pin box while still attached to the truck, but I don't know if it will work correctly.

You check it during the set up process with a bubble level at the front and back.

HR

remoandiris

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mile High wrote:

I have one of those big bubble levels on the pin box that I can see from the truck mirror.

I know what you're talking about. I'll have to get one of those.

twins89

Western New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am fussy about being level left to right; not as much front to back. I like the front a tad lower so the water in the shower runs to the drain which is in the front. I cannot handle being unlevel left to right. So when DH backs up to the spot, we have a level on the back bumper and a 2' level I put on the floor in the entry way. Decide how much we need to go up and on what side. Put the blocks down, move the trailer forward, put the blocks where the tires were and have him back up onto the blocks. Then we do the rest of the set up.

Western New Yorkers
Our Westie now waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs

chrizg

IA

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 08:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Put another bubble level on the front of your camer for l/r. I choose against the giant bubble level cause they are ugly.

When I leveled mine out I had the slides out and tires cooled down since that can change your l/r leveling

09 Big Country 2950RK
06 Dodge 3500 CTD 4X2 Mega Cab DRW B&W

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> When do you decide to level left to right??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS