RV.Net Open Roads Forum: When do you decide to level left to right??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> When do you decide to level left to right??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Pat Anderson

Birch Bay, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 07:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X3 or whatever. We use a torpedo level, level r/l, unhook, level f/b. Like 'er good and level before the slide comes out. We have a good selection of pieces of plywood, Trex and 2x6, and use whatever combo is needed to get r/l level. We check the level inside the door. I like the idea of checking plumb too, that would really be a great second check on r/l level.

coolmom42 wrote:

HTT to be? wrote:

R to L is the first thing to be corrected. While we are still hooked up we check the level to see if we need to lay a block or two down to have her sitting level. So we back her in to the exact spot we want the trailer, then ck for r/l level, if needed, pull forward just enough to lay blocks needed, then back her up and ck she is right. Then we put in chocks and unhook

This.

Pat & Patty Anderson
2011 Fox Mountain 265RL
2006 Silverado 3500 Duramax / Allison
1991 Alpenlite 25+2
1993 Ford F250
2005 C-Dory CD25 Cruiser
2014 Honda Forza Scooter
1987 Honda Sprees (matched set)
Our blog

webslave

Clearville, PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 08:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I, too, have a large level assembly attached to the pin box that I can see while backing up. I always set up "out of level" by one block with the street side low. This does two things for me; keeps the A/C drainage flowing to the street side (not off the awning/patio side) and makes the waste tank drains the "low point" in the tank/piping layout to aid in draining those. One block (~1") over the width of the trailer is not noticeable to us and keeps things flowing away from our "outside living area" and towards the drains. Leveling L to R is always done first after the overall locating of the coach on the site. Many times, by watching the level in the mirror, I can put the coach in a spot that doesn't even need blocks by pulling forward or going backward a foot or two.

I carry two sets of the Lynx type blocks and whatever doesn't go under the tires for leveling, goes under the stab jacks in the rear (they are most effective when run down less than 50% of their capacity) or under the sewer hose for additional support on really long runs when needed. Even use a couple under the third step of the entrance stairs for added stability...many uses for those little plastic interlocking squares; limited only by your imagination.

My 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox with a B&W Companion Hitch

Wills250psd

walnutcove NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 09:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is the first thing I do. I pull on the sight look at my level and use the proper amount of blocks to level up then unhook and level front to back.

Ashbourne

UK

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know if its called the same in America, but if you carry an Android equipped smart phone or Tablet computer, you can download a leveling app. Park up place your cell phone on a level surface, job done. No need to Cary a huge spirit level.
Just a thought.

bpounds

Whittier CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 09:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The stick-on levels usually come in a pack of two. Guess why?

I put them on the front driver side corner, where I can see both from the landing jack switch position. I cannot see them from the truck seat, but I don't find that important. What is important is that I know how much a mark on the level equates to blocks under the tires. Those marks are calibrated at 1" in 8', which is perfect for the trailer side to side. If I'm out of level 1 mark, I need one set of blocks under the tires. Works for front to back also, but takes some extra math to multply the error by 8' increments.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Martyn

Bennett, Colorado, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 10:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coolmom42 wrote:

HTT to be? wrote:

R to L is the first thing to be corrected. While we are still hooked up we check the level to see if we need to lay a block or two down to have her sitting level. So we back her in to the exact spot we want the trailer, then ck for r/l level, if needed, pull forward just enough to lay blocks needed, then back her up and ck she is right. Then we put in chocks and unhook

This.

Ditto

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT's & Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
2006 Glastron MX175;
2009 Subaru Tribeca for the DW

dannytas

Pioneer, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 11:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AZ T&T wrote:

Mile High wrote:

I have one of those big bubble levels on the pin box that I can see from the truck mirror. a full index mark to one side or the other is two of my stackable leveling pads. Just a learned behavior after a few trial and errors.

I get a little uneasy if we are off to far left to right.

X2

ME2

2014 Keystone Springdale 202QBWE
1998 Dodge 1500 Club Cab, 4x4, 5.9 magnum
DW-Lynn
BigDog-Kelley
LittleDog-Kroozer
Little Cat-Dottie

Rmcgrath53

Howell

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 11:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry a laser level and a 4 foot level. I back up and use the laser level if I am staying a long time at the site.
If i am passing through I use the four foot level on the back bumper just a few feet to where the wheels will end up. I can tell with the level bubble how many boards I need to place under the tire.Then I back up onto the boards, then double check on the back bumper I try to be a tad higher on the refigerator side. Then I level front to back with a torpedo level on the fridge.

2008 keystone Everest 345s re
2002 F350 4x4 7.3 diesel crew cab dually. 135,000 miles extra leafs.
Banks stinger/ with an edge attitude set at tow
prodigy 3p curt 20k hitch
trail air suspension trail air pinbox
2 e2000 honda w parralel kit
560 watts solar

2oldman

The Q

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 11:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Droid app=Xclinometer on the inside floor.

greende

Syracuse,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 12:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Droid app=Xclinometer on the inside floor.

I JUST NOW downloaded this app to my Droid. This is a very neat app. Thank you for posting this. Happy Camping.

David

2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> When do you decide to level left to right??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS