We made a reservation at a National Park 5 months ago for a double camp site this weekend. We intended to go with our neighbors. The neighbors can't make it. We tried to find other friends and relatives, but with school starting back up and the threat of rain, no one wants to go.
The site says
•Min Num of People: 7
•Max Num of People: 12
•Max Num of Vehicles: 3
Now it looks like just the DW and I will be going with the MH. Can I expect some problems with the camp hosts or rangers? We don't want to cancel, as we have been wanting to do this trip.
If you feel really bad about it, you could offer to pay for the site, if nobody walks in to use it over the weekend. I'm sure that would keep everyone happy (with the exception of your wallet).
In reality, this is why so many of the private CGs ask for deposits and won't give them back.....your reservation (well, you neighbor's reservation) caused them to possibly turn away some other camper.
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293 The Pets
It's already paid for. Cost 50% more than the standard site. Cancelling would leave me with no site. Extra cost was not a factor. I have the senior discount National Parks pass. Site cost $15 per night versus $10 .
Just concerned about vacant area. I could put up a tent and extra chairs
Or you could tell the park to rent it if possible, then give you your money back if they do rent it.
The reservation was made thru Recreation.Gov. Their policy is to charge a $10 cancellation fee. If made lose to the reservation date, they deduct 1 night also. They usually rent it out quickly either online or at the reservation office.
But I want to use it and will. I've decided I'm not going to drive for 5 hours and give it up. If they give me any trouble, I will just wait near the reservation office and find a nice family needing a site to share mine for FREE.