RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY): Wind Deflectors

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Smax

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/12 12:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They should be called bug deflectors.

2010 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison Crew
2000 25' Sunnybrook
2010 Honda SH150

blackf3504dr

Leesburg , FL. .Lake

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/12 01:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Supreme Oppressor wrote:

The deflectors on the "big" trucks are as tall and wide as the trailer, and fairly close to it. Pick-up models are a novelty at best. The best fuel saving device is to slow down.

Not only are the deflectors close, big trucks also use cab extenders on the sides of the cab to close the gap between tractor and trailer.
I agree with Supreme that most of the air deflectors on PUs do little or nothing to help with air flow over the trailer as they arn't close enough to the trailer to work.

Mom , Dad , Scooter & K.C ( killer cat )
'96 F350 4dr. Dually, 7.3 5sp.
'92 Holiday Rambler 34'
REAL TRUCKS DON'T HAVE SPARKPLUGS !

Airstreamer67

Pineville, LA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/12 06:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If they're deflecting bugs from the trailer, they're also deflecting wind that carry the bugs. No?

CManley

Elk Grove, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/12 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is interesting that when this subject comes up there are both somewhat equal pro/con comments. Either you like or you don't.

It made a difference with my prior gas powered TV (84 Chevy Dually) both with head winds and on the freeway albeit I averaged 7 mpg any improvement is good. There were times (HWY 152 West @ Los Banos Ca) where the headwind was strong enough to hold my speed down to a max of 40. I purchased the wind deflector and was no longer held back.

With that said the Duramax is not short on power and the difference is now slight. I have not traveled with it only 3 different times to South Lake Tahoe (HWY 50) all of which the truck ran hot, with the deflector (same conditions) no issues. I also see a benefit with head winds and there are less bugs on the front of the trailer.

I bought a Taylor Wing which I do not know if they are still being sold. The last time I checked the price doubled from my original purchase, I would not purchase again based on price.

2001 25dbs Tahoe TT, 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Duramax

Pictures

Mootpoint

Somewhere in North America enjoying the life!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/12 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Smax wrote:

They should be called bug deflectors.

That's all the one I had years ago did. Then there was having to remove it if I was going near a parkade. That was seldom but it was one more thing to think about.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

Spud_Monkey

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/12 06:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Airstreamer67 wrote:

If they're deflecting bugs from the trailer, they're also deflecting wind that carry the bugs. No?

In theory yes yet it's merely catching bugs before they hit the TT. Kind of like front grill of your vehicle.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS