|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> TV Antenae wired to Radio

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
slohand

Kinzua

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 05:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Couldn't understand why I couldn't pick up the nascar races in Florida in my new Denali but my wife's little MP3 got them on it's FM. I take the inside stereo out and find the Wineguard TV antenae is wired to the stereo. Same with the outside stereo. Call wineguard to find that there is actually a FM block built into the antenae to stop FM interference with TV signal. And the guy correctly predicted no AM reception at all. Question. Why would they even spend the time to hook to the antenae in the first place? Baffling! And I have no idea how to correct it because it would be a nightmare to try to get an auto antenae wire to it. Dave G.

garym114

Bluff Dale, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 06:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

make and model of the RV

2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

slohand

Kinzua

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 06:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012 Denali 289 RK

goreds2

OH H ..... EYE OH !

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 06:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

(Sorry if a little off topic)

Have you considered SiriusXM for your Nascar Races? You can also get driver feeds etc. A note that you would have to subscribe to the priemier package. Your monthly rate would be around $19 a month.

Click here for more information.

Also,
Listen Online & On Smartphones
SiriusXM NASCAR Radio's programming - including all live NASCAR races - is now being simulcast online and through the SiriusXM Internet Radio App. Subscribers with SiriusXM Internet Radio access can listen to live broadcasts of every NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, NASCAR Nationwide Series and NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio through a computer at siriusxm.com/player and on the
SiriusXM Internet Radio App for smartphone and wireless devices.

See Picture In My Profile
1990 Dodge XPLORER RV Van- Purchased 10/15/10
Chick Magnet !

* Sportsman GEN154 2000 Watt 80cc Portable Generator *
XM Satellite Radio since 12/25/2004
Sold my Class C 1976 Dodge TEC Motor Home 9/25/10

Jim Cindy

Northcentral, PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just turn on the TV antennna booster and you will get great FM. Our Cameo is the same, booster off, no FM.

PBH Portable Beach House

2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax Allison
2009 Cameo 34CK3
MorRyde IS, Disc Brakes, G614's
PullRite Super Glide Hitch
Propane fueled Yamaha EF 2400is

MegaJohn

NW Geogia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 08:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

slohand wrote:

And I have no idea how to correct it because it would be a nightmare to try to get an auto antenna wire to it. Dave G.

Last spring we upgraded our stereo and installed an amplified, auto-type antenna through the roof. For our install it was not too difficult... the stereo location is near the ceiling.

I used a hole saw to drill through the ceiling/roof (EPDM over OSB). I did have to modify the antenna mount a bit... removed the antenna base/spacer and used a flat washer instead. The original base/spacer would be fine for thin sheet metal, but not for the thicker OSB. Afterward, I applied a liberal amount of Dicor self-leveling sealant.

The only problem I had was the hole saw grabbed a speaker wire in the ceiling... it was a challenge fishing it back to the speaker, but doable.

Part of our install included building a shelf to mount the unit to and hide the wires... so, you don't see any of the installation without removing the covering.

Our reception is MUCH improved over the wire hanging off the back of old stereo. We used to move that little wire all over the place trying to get better reception!

Happy Camping!
John.

Stock 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 MegaCab, 5.9L Cummins, Automatic, 2WD, Dually
- 30' 2006 Pilgrim Interntional travel trailer, dry weight ~7k pounds, GVWR ~9k pounds
- Husky weight distributing hitch, friction anti-sway control, electronic brake controller

Jim Cindy

Northcentral, PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 02:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will try again, turn on the booster just like you were going to watch the TV on antenna. Don't turn on the TV, turn on the radio, you should have great FM reception. Please post your results.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

slohand wrote:

Question. Why would they even spend the time to hook to the antenae in the first place?

Two comments: First: FM stations normally broadcast cross polarized, that way the vertical "Whip" on your car can pick 'em up and a horizontal antenna like the TV antenna (Most TV antennas are VHF/FM/VHF/UHF antennas) can as well.

Thus hooking the FM radio to the TV antenna makes sense.. UNLESS, as Winegard did, someone put an FM-Block in the beast.

Now, as to why they hooked it up that way when there is an FM block in the Sensar?

Well, did you Read the Fine Manual? (And I know you know how to read).

Neither did they.. assuming of course they know how to read.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Chris Bryant

DeLand, Florida, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 11:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to say- I didn't know there was an FM block, and I cannot find it in any of Winegards literature. It seems kind of silly now, with DTV and all.

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

dicknellen

Fallon Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 03:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was it a AM or FM radio station you were trying to listen to? As to why they hooked to TV antenna it saved them the cost of another antenna like most rvs have for the AM/FM radio.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> TV Antenae wired to Radio
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS