|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> National fishing license

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/12 03:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Is anybody besides me trying to get a National fishing license law passed in this election year.

I'm with you 150% ... been talking about it here in the forums for years. Bring it on!

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/12 07:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fatmanobx wrote:

I would just like to pay the same fee as a resident..that seems fair to me..Some states really stick it to someone passing through who might want to fish a day or two...JMHO
Sounds fair, Montana resident license is $26.00. Assuming that is about average, your national license will cost you only $1300.00. Heck of a deal if you plan to fish all 50 states in a year.

cjoseph

WV

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/12 05:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem with the "give me the license free" argument is that the very people you rely on to ensure the resource is protected get none of the tax money you claim will increase. Taxes aren't squat when it comes to fish and game agencies. License revenue supports them not the tax you pay on your restaurant bill. The local restauranteur isn't going to cut the fish and game department a check for the wonderful meal you just bought from him. That restauranteur/gas station owner is already paying enough taxes that get gobbled up by the general revenue/highway fund. Fish and game departments rely on that license money. There is only one way to support a state's fish and game agency and that's BUY A LICENSE. It's still one of the cheapest form of entertainment out there --even at non-resident rates. In WV, fifty bucks for a whole year or 16 bucks for a one-day license. ($3 dollars for each additional day once you've bought the conservation/LE stamp($13)).

* This post was edited 04/13/12 06:30pm by an administrator/moderator *

Chuck, Heidi, Jessica & Nicholas
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA

down home

south

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/12 05:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The point is that State Resources agencies charge an arm and leg to out of State Fishermen to keep them from competing with for fish and game.
The Fishermen and Hunters in places like Montana are responsible for the high cost. They don't want us or too many of us to fish or especially hunt for "their game."
Naturally there will be those that say no outsiders don't pay taxes here so they need to pay more.
All the while the local pay no more taxes for Federal Lands.
They want us to come through and pay festival prices for to see what is there etc but then leave.

down home

south

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/12 09:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The average Fisherman probably keeps 10 fish a year unless it is Bream or Crappie.
We haven't fished in but one other State when RVing because the high cost. Forty or fifty dollars is spent with consideration not hastily.
When some say that isn't much; that is in addition to other expenses x how many other States you might fish in.
Hunting? Forget it. Several hundred; or even thousands, for big game.

Center Pin

Fort Langley, BC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/12 10:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a Canadian that camps 40+ days a year in the US, and a fanatical fly fishermen, if there was a simplified license to cover many states I'd be dropping a lot more money into the local economies I visit. I would really support it if it was a Catch & Release Only. Let any fishermen wet a fly once and he'll drop 10X the money he saved on a license at the local tackle shop, gas station, restaurant, and he'll send his DW shopping so he can have more time fishing.

Two things about fishermen first they will ***** about the license cost, and second they will spend $$$$$ on toys and supplies.

It's the same logic as overnighting at Wally World, save $20 on a CG and spend $100 on******you didn't need.

Trailer: 07 Tango 299BHS w/ 225/70R15 LT Load Range D

TV: 2004.5 Dodge 610 CTD 3500 QC 48RE 2wd Laramie SRW, FP Gauge, FASS 95/95, Rhino Lining, Hensley Arrow, Air Bags & Compressor, Canopy, Custom Boat Rack.
Been running B100 home brew June 2008!

DaveG39

Goleta, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/12 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another dig at states' rights. Fed govt has too much power as it is. unless it is specifically in the constitution for the federal govt to do it is reserved to the states. Now if various states get together to honor each other's licenses, that would be a good thing.

2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 08:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"If spending $70.00 for the right to fish all the streams in Montana is too high for you, I think you have made the right choice, fish Colorado."

Yea, verily, S'truth!
When it comes to tourists, there are plenty out there, one less won't be missed.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/12 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

The point is that State Resources agencies charge an arm and leg to out of State Fishermen to keep them from competing with for fish and game.
The Fishermen and Hunters in places like Montana are responsible for the high cost. They don't want us or too many of us to fish or especially hunt for "their game."
Naturally there will be those that say no outsiders don't pay taxes here so they need to pay more.
All the while the local pay no more taxes for Federal Lands.
They want us to come through and pay festival prices for to see what is there etc but then leave.

Exactly. That's why many of us would like top see the income tax replaced by a general sales tax, so the tourists can help support our state even more than they do now.
"Welcome to Montana! Have fun, enjoy our beautiful state, spend lots of money!
Now, go home.
Y'all come back, now, y'heah!

dewatkins

Dallas Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 11:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowermech wrote:

"If spending $70.00 for the right to fish all the streams in Montana is too high for you, I think you have made the right choice, fish Colorado."

Yea, verily, S'truth!
When it comes to tourists, there are plenty out there, one less won't be missed.

Yes but a journey of a thousand miles starts out with one step. One here for a reason one there for a reason and they will add up after time. I do not go to fish I would like to fish yes it is a past time that would give me something to do instead of setting on my butt at the camper, but with the cost of gas going up something has to be cut so fishing is the first.
Want to come down to Texas and fish come on down I don't care you are not going to catch the same fish I am. I guess we have different views the way I see it is I don't own the fish and if you want to have some fun fine I think you should be able to do it without having to pay 9 times as much as I do.
I am not even saying there ought to be a national license just something that will let me fish at a more reasonable cost. I mean if I buy an annual license in a state how many times as I going to fish in that state? I spent a month in Montana and I might have fished 10 times at most so it would have cost me $7 a day to fish in a different area that I would not have known the best way to catch fish in that body of water.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> National fishing license
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS