RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Towing Travel Trailer up California Coast

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Towing Travel Trailer up California Coast

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
williamtesch

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 33 foot travel trailer that we plan to take a trip with this summer in California. We will be going north on highway 101 & 1 from San Fransico. We are wonding if anyone knows of any difficulties that we might encounter (ie. steep hills, tight curves, tunnels, construction, etc.).

Post moved from TT Forum to Roads and Routes Forum

Moderator - TT Forum

* This post was edited 04/10/12 08:02pm by an administrator/moderator *

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On highway 1 you will encounter VERY steep hills but they are short duration so probably not any real issue. There will ALSO be lots of VERY tight turns and I would be doubtful if you will be able to keep the trailer in it's lane on many of them. I towed my 26 foot coachmen from the Oregon border to Frisco on highway 1 and it was a little difficult in some cases. Probably depends a LOT on how well your trailer tracks behind your truck. Absolutely FANTASTIC scenery on the route but traffic CAN be heavy at times which doesn't make it any easier on those turns.
Good luck / Skip

For what it's worth, there are very FEW places I wouldn't take my trailer and it's been ten years since I was there but I WOULD think about it.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

rpounds

California - I'm not old, so how am I a

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 01:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally, I wouldn't take my trailer up Highway 1. Lots of switchback curves and as someone already mentioned, lots of luck keeping that long of a trailer in your own lane. Plus it's only 1 lane each way which means that you're going to have a lot of angry drivers behind you, even if you frequently use the turn outs.

101 is a very nice drive and still offers some scenery, although not as breath taking as 1. There's only one grade between Buellton and Paso Robles that is nasty. I don't recall the name of the grade, but it is between San Luis Obispo and Paso Robles. I've only been on one grade that was worse and that was in southern New Mexico. You may be in first gear, but the hill isn't all that long and then you'll be back to rolling hills.

'05 Dodge Ram CTD Quad Cab 4x4
'11 Dutchmen 277RLS
Our Blog

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 01:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No difficulties on 101, but you could have some problems on hwy 1. Depends on the particular section.

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

E&J push'n wind

San Diego CA, The best climate on earth!

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 12:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are concerned about length, I'm pretty sure semi's do it. I've done the trip back in 97 but minus a TT. We did the tent thing back then. Anyway from what I remember, sure tight turns at times but I don't think insurmountable, lots of hills, steep at times but again doable. Saw lots of MH's and TT's, we were heading south from WA.

If you can pick up the CA coast at somewhere near San Jose or farther south near Ventura you'll see quite a bit more. I live in CA but still have yet to do from south to Frisco. There is the Hearst Castle that is a tourist attraction. We turned East from San Fran to hook up with I5 to make time, we ran out and had to dead head home from Frisco.

Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know much, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon

KCFDCapt

At Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 02:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cuesta Grade

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 03:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cuesta Grade on 101 is tough, but they have added extra lanes -- I was able to maintain 40 mph or better all the way up, low gear on the way down.

Highway 1 north of SF is pretty twisty, especially north of Jenner. Watch out for bicyclists -- if there is oncoming traffic and you have to hug the right side, there is almost no shoulder. I have been both a person towing a trailer and a bicyclist on similar types of roads -- neither situation was fun.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

BrokenElbow

Valencia, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 07:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't take a 33' tt up hwy 1. Folks that have reported not enjoying the trip due to anxiety. Hwy 101 is an easy route and pleasant views. If you get the chance to camp somewhere along the way and drive over to Hwy 1 for a day drive, it's well worth it. If you get the chance, don't miss Hearst Castle.

2011 Montana 3455, MorRyde pin box, TrailerSaver BD3 air hitch, G614 tires, 2x6volt batts, 2 x Honda 2000i, Rotochoks, 6 pnt Levelup, TST TPMS, Arvika bike rack, Voyager Semi Wireless Rear Cam, Flojet Mascerator, 2008 F350 Lariat 6.4L diesel 4x4 SB CC SRW

Big Love

SF Bay Area, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 04:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you take HWY 1 north of San Francisco, you better be driving very early in the morning, and forget about weekends. There are some very nasty and difficult switchback turns and traffic will back up behind you. Very hard to enjoy the view under those conditions.

Water-Bug

Traverse City, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hearst Castle is 400 miles south of where he is planning on being. The GOOD news is that if you are driving north you are on the inside and not the outside.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Towing Travel Trailer up California Coast
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS