RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Do you still love your old truck?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Do you still love your old truck?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Kip81

utah

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/12 01:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lessmore wrote:

Lowsuv wrote:

Yes. 2002 GMC Duramax / Allison bought new.
I was buying a new pickup every five years since my first new car a 1972 Suburban with the 402 big block.
Duramax stock only 520 foot pounds of torque and I already tow my TT and my boat too fast.
I have owned 3 Porsches and own a Mercedes sedan.
I would never consider this "TUNER" mentality in a pickup for towing use.
The other factors such as towed load uphill and cornering with a trailer dictate that 520" is just fine.
Right after I got it I put a fancy stereo and amp and speakers in it, a fiberglass SnugTop canopy, running boards, brake controller, fancy smancy Weld Polished Aluminum wheels, and LT 265 load range E Michelins on it. Also a nifty graphic on the side of this Pewter colored Hangar Queen.
When I sell it everybody wants those features for free.
They're gonna have to wait. I expect another trouble free 5 years from the Duramax Allison combo. Besides, GM shuts off the fuel right around 100 mph .
Porsche does 180 , Mercedes does 135 electronically limited and they're made for the autobahn. The HD 2500 is not so aerodynamic. It still cruises nice at 80 in the high desert not towing.

That's what I've always thought. Why would anyone use a tuner for a heavy duty truck, where the prime design consideration was to make a truck...a truck... that can handle relatively heavy cargo loads / heavy towing capacity....not a performance vehicle that can hammer down 12 to low 13 second 1/4 miles time slips.

I could see the benefit of tuner parts years ago, when the engines of 3/4 to one ton trucks in many cases were relatively underpowered.

But now with current pickups offering diesel engines that produce in the neighbourhood of 750 lbs ft. of torque, I have some difficulty in seeing why anyone would 'need' a tuner kit to boost power way over the 750 to 800 ft. lbs of torque.

I've been to drag strips and I've seen 2500/250, 3500/350's with tuner kits and while I'm entertained...it's kind of like watching a Circus dog dance....entertaining...but is it practical ?I've driven a late model Dodge 2500 HD with auto and a stock 5.9 Cummins TD, pulling a 5th wheel flat bed trailer with tandem axles.

It's (the Dodge Cummins diesel + truck) is impressive as it came from the factory.

BTW...a tuner Corvette, Porsche, Mercedes...I can see, but a tuner truck ?

Whats so hard to see? I spent 25k for my truck. How much is your Vette? Depending what I want to do with my truck I can pull our TH, or for about 5-6 thousand I can make spank the Vette, and I can drive it in the winter. Diesel trucks are the best of the best for whatever you want do with it.

Find a local diesel shop and just go ask somebody for ride in a 12 second truck you won't quit smiling and a 12 second isn't very hard to do these days.

Kip81

utah

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/12 01:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

oops double post

* This post was edited 04/21/12 01:33pm by Kip81 *

wtd

nixa,mo usa

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/12 05:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here are mine, both 1998 Chevy trucks. The green ext-cab Z71 I bought new in May of 98 and it was my second new vehicle purchase. I still smile everytime I drive it. I've kept it in good shape and it has 121,400 miles on it. 350/4L60E combo.

The black K3500 I bought used in Nov. 2007 with 94,600 miles on it. I've put quite a bit of money into it but have it like I want it for now. 454/4L80E combo with about 104,500 miles on it now.

I plan on keep both of these for quite a long time as I love this body style and can't stomach the prices of these new trucks.

Wayne

robwen

NE OH

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/12 07:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I miss this one

But now love this one
'03 Excursion 184k miles

* This post was edited 04/21/12 07:25pm by robwen *

Rob a.k.a 69oiler
'03 Ford Excursion V10 4x4 3.73 XLT
'98 SunnyBrook 30DB
'05 Continental Cargo 16'x8' enclosed 9950 GVW
Former Ford IDI and 7.3 PSD guy, hope to get back into a diesel someday.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Do you still love your old truck?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS