RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Rear kitchens-good or bad??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Rear kitchens-good or bad??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
chrizg

IA

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 10:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I make sure to pack the refer tight so stuff doesn't bounce. Always used plastic in the camper so no broken glass to speak of. Make sure you can get to refer with the slides in. I can't and sometimes that is a pita. I have a fridge in my outside storage compartment and stuff seems to bounce more in that then in the rear kitchen area.

09 Big Country 2950RK
06 Dodge 3500 CTD 4X2 Mega Cab DRW B&W

gwalter

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 10:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a RK in our first 5ver and enjoyed it very much for 11 years. We did not have trouble with things moving any more than our current one. The reason we wanted to go away from it was that we wanted more light in back and a view from our large back window.

2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
Heartland Silverado 34SE
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

steelpony5555

Copperas Cove Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 11:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, we just changed to a 3000RK from a Alpenlite which also had a RK. Both weighed about the same but the Montana is 5 ft longer. We have always had glass dinnerware and glass cups and glasses. In the 4 years we had the Alpenlite we never broke a dish or cup and have towed it all over the US. Then we got the Montana....on the trip from Dallas to central Texas we broke several glasses and plates and the frig looked like a tornado hit it. Buuuut we had empty tanks and not all our stuff so we were a lil light. Also I may be nuts but I also changed over to LT tires from the Marathons and I think the LT tires have more give. I usually run with a half a tank of water. We just towed 250 miles last week and the trailer did not seem to bounce around like a basketball as it did before. The trip from Dallas I don't think I did over 60 mph because the trailer still had the ST tires on and now this trip I was back to my 65-70 mph and nothing moved. So speed don't have a heck of a lot to do with it. I am also going to put either the EZ Flex or Mor-ryde suspension on before doing any cross country travels, just to help out a little more since this trailer is longer. We also make sure everything is packed in tight and we have cut the rubber shelf paper to place between the plates and bowls. Also put rubber shelf paper in all your cabinets. The 3000RK you will not have much access to with the slide in. Not too big a problem to us but for some it may be an issue. Also stuff is always on occasion gonna get bounced around in cabinets but it dont take a lot to rearrange. Th one cabinet on the 3000RK we have an issue with is the corner upper one with the lazy susan in it. Ain't figured out yet how to keep it organized so it don't come unorganized on the road....Oh and store your bread and chips in the micro to save your glass turntable...

06 Montana 3000RK
10 Dodge 3500 Dually Laramie 6.7 Diesel
07 Pearl White Ultra Classic (My new Baby)
10 Cadillac CTS
Texas Boomers---Stop by for a Margie some time!

hotpepperkid

Chino Hills CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 11:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We like our rear kitchen. More counter space

2000 Ford F-350 SRW 4X4 PSD Jayco Super Lite 29.5RKS (31') 5th wheel 50 gal X-ferflow in the bed tank. Banks big exhaust and Stinger kit.

jackandh2o

Golden Valley, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 11:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had a couple of coffee cups break and 2 plastic shelves in the refer break. Both minor compared to all the extra counter space that we have all the time.

Ray

chrizg

IA

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/12 12:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jackandh2o wrote:

We have had a couple of coffee cups break and 2 plastic shelves in the refer break. Both minor compared to all the extra counter space that we have all the time.

Ray

Have also had plastic shelfs break in the refer. Forgot about that

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/12 12:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IDman wrote:

We have found a Montana 3000RK that we like and price is right. My concern is the rear kitchen as it seems that appliances and cabinet contents would bounce and take a beating more than if it were in the center over the axle. I would appreciate hearing from those that HAVE EXPERIENCE with rear kitchens. Thanks!

EXPERIENCE: Have one (now) since 2006.

NO problems or complaints.

SHOCKS and modern suspensions benefit ALL models.

Purchase whatever floor plan *YOU* prefer!.

~

bpounds

Senile, er I mean

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/12 01:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the rear kitchen. No problem at all with stuff moving around or breaking. We also have a good sized rear window, which we find important, which means the fridge is on the side. Even the range is actually on the side almost at the rear. So while they call it a rear kitchen, only the sink, countertop, and some cabinets are really across the rear. Seems like a good compromise to me.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

lrash

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/12 01:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had 2 rear kitchens. Last one Montana Mountaineer. Loved both of them and only had 1 plate to break in all our travels (She forgot to put a paper towel between that plate)

LastOfTheBohicans

Edmonton, Alberta, CAN

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/12 10:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the Komfort 3230FRK model and we love our rear kitchen.

It keeps our entertainment area separate from the cooking and prep area which we really like.

We have has eight people in the fiver during some crappy weather at the Edmonton Indy, and it didn't feel like anyone was sitting on top of each other or cramped.

Me, DW, Five Crazy Felines, One RB Angel
2011 Ford F350 SD, PSD 6.7, SRW, CC
2011 Komfort 3230FRK

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Rear kitchens-good or bad??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts