RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Jayco "arctic" vs. "polar" packages?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Jayco "arctic" vs. "polar" packages?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
howardwheeler

West, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 04:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 2009 Jayco Eagle with their Polar package. It had the reflective foil and all the air leak areas on the trailer were sealed with spray foam. It really did seem to be a better insulation job than the other trailers I'd had. Jayco told me at the time I bought the trailer new that that was the first year it was available in the Eagle series but had been in the 2008 Designer. Well, a friend has just bought a 2005 Designer with what is labelled the Arctic package. Do any of you Jayco experts know the differences in the insulation? By the way, the Designer my friend just bought is in very good shape. I generally like the Jaycos. We never had any problem.

Lady Fitzgerald

Tempe, AZ, USA, Earth

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 04:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

howardwheeler wrote:

I had a 2009 Jayco Eagle with their Polar package. It had the reflective foil and all the air leak areas on the trailer were sealed with spray foam. It really did seem to be a better insulation job than the other trailers I'd had. Jayco told me at the time I bought the trailer new that that was the first year it was available in the Eagle series but had been in the 2008 Designer. Well, a friend has just bought a 2005 Designer with what is labelled the Arctic package. Do any of you Jayco experts know the differences in the insulation? By the way, the Designer my friend just bought is in very good shape. I generally like the Jaycos. We never had any problem.

The difference in insulation varies from line to line. In the case of the Eagle travel trailers, in 2011, the Glacier package available for the Eagle fifth wheels was not available for the TTs. In 2012, apparently in response to requests for an Eagle TT Glacier package, the cheap buggers took out the R-7 fiberglass insulation that had been in the roof, leaving only R-14 (so they claim; it was the foil everyone else claims is R-7 if it has an air gap on either side, which the Jaycos do not have) and introduced a Glacier package that. for $140 more, put the fiberglass back in.

I was interested in buying a Jayco a little over a year ago but after the way they have been cheaping out each year since the 2011 models (the above is only one of many complaints I have) and the increase in complaints on the forums I haunt over quality control and customer service issues, Jayco has lost me. At the rate they are going, I wouldn't be surprised to see them go under in a couple of years.

Jeannie

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 10:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Per the 2005 Jayco Designer Brochure the roof on a 2005 Jayco Designer Series is R-21 Vacuum Laminated, the walls are R-9 also vacuum laminated, and the floors are a R-22 value...which "is achieved by combining R-15 bubble foil insulation and R-7 blanket insulation.

Puncture-resistant PolyFlexâ„¢ and bubble foil insulation line the underside of the flooring. Holding tanks are insulated and heated and the underbelly
is fully enclosed."

At least as good and maybe a bit better than your 2009 Eagle! And if it has dual pane windows...so much the better!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 07:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like Jayco's too!

The Polar Package has been tested at a continuous zero degrees F. Jayco will not publish it, but their Engineering department told us -10 degrees for long periods of time shouldn't be a problem.

The Polar Package is only an option in the Eagle & Pinnacle Models, not the Eagle SL. However, the SL has R9 Floor, R7 Walls and R22 Roof with the Thermal Pane window option. And it comes standard with the enclosed and heated underbelly.

They usually use the mylar thermal foil (the bubble type) to increase the insulation R-Values.

howardwheeler

West, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 07:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm really wondering what the arctic package in my friends 2005 Designer is. Does anyone know how it compares to my 2009 Eagle with the Polar. It worked very well and I'm trying to give him some sense of what he can expect.

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/12 06:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Jayflight has the under belly covered with that poly flex and black foam in all the areas to seal off holes. The mice love that foam. Must be good tasting stuff. They have eaten some of it to get in to the under belly. I have had to seal it off with black caulking. They don't seem to like the black caulking as well.

2013 Monaco Monarch
2012 Jeep Wrangler
AC6CV, ex-WN8RUR, ex-W8RUR, ex-K7RIO, ex-WB6GBR since 1954
Commercial 1st class Radio Telephone, & Telegraph certificate
ARRL 35 WPM Certificate.

howardwheeler

West, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/12 07:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Fordsooperduty. It sounds like the arctic and polar are virtually the same. Maybe it's just advertising techniques but Jayco told me in 2009 that the polar had just been introduced in the Eagle that year and had only been available for the previous year on the Designer. So I thought it was something unique. My experience was the it did work well.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Jayco "arctic" vs. "polar" packages?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS