|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> converter charging chassis battery when plugged in

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Goldencrazy

madison wi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 05:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012 winnebago Vista 30t. All winter while sitting for up to three weeks at a time connected to shore power I never had a dead chassis battery. While sitting in my driveway for one week again connected to shore power the battery was dead. I took it to camping world a certified warranty service center and they replaced a solenoid for my levelers and told me my converter does not charge chassis battery when plugged in. I also have an inverter if that matters. I had a 2010 and never had a problem when plugged to shore power with the chassis battery. So i wonder if this is correct info and if so do I have something else to check. Any thoughts?

artkt

Nenana, Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 06:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is correct that the converter does not charge the starting/chassis battery bank. This has been the case for quite some time, as my 96 Safari did not either.

Most people will put a battery tender on the chassis batteries, or use a small jumper wire across the boost solenoid. If you use the wire, be sure to remember to remove it before starting the engine otherwise the wire will go poof!

2007 Monaco Knight 40 SKT.
06 Jeep Wrangler.
Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain Tow Bar.
US Gear Unified Tow Brake.
FMCA F393302

Admiral

Upstate Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

artkt wrote:

It is correct that the converter does not charge the starting/chassis battery bank. This has been the case for quite some time, as my 96 Safari did not either.

Most people will put a battery tender on the chassis batteries, or use a small jumper wire across the boost solenoid. If you use the wire, be sure to remember to remove it before starting the engine otherwise the wire will go poof!

Ah yes...the DIY automatic disconnect feature.

2004 Damon Daybreak 2960F V-10
05 Honda Element LX

Compassion should be voluntary, not mandatory.

FuzzyKnight

Santee, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 08:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just made up a small set of jumpers, # 10 wire, and connect the coach batteries to the starting battery

Fuzzy and Mary
1994 Pace Arrow 33
1928 Model A
1953 Ford Club Coupe
1963 1/2 Falcon Ranchero Original factory V8 4 spd
1963 Fairlane SportsCoupe
1965 Honda SuperHawk

Goldencrazy

madison wi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 09:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a battery disconnect switch so I guess I need to use it when parked. It was just surprising that it happened now and hadn't before. I had lost charge when parked for several weeks and not plugged in but never when plugged in until now.

Son of Norway

Denver, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 07:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced the momentary aux. start switch on my coach with a regular on-off switch. We were having problems with the chassis battery discharging due to stereo use and some parasitic drains when staying put at a campground for days at a time. Now I can use the switch to make sure that the battery stays charged. The new switch has a bright red light on the paddle so I remember to turn it off.

Miles

Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

Fishinghat

Western Washington, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 10:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed an automatic trickle charger to charge the engine (chassis) batteries. I plugged it into the same outlet as the engine block heater so it only works when connected to shore power or the generator is running. Works great and it doesn't require that I remember to disconnect anything.

Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/12 12:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trik-L-Start will keep the chassis battery charged. Google it.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

Lobstah

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/12 04:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

artkt wrote:

It's not correct on all coaches. On our Pace, all batts are charged when we're plugged in, even to 15a in the driveway. I can look at the energy system and monitor the voltage on both chassis and house batts and they're at 13.2V.

Jim

2005 Pace Arrow 36D
Very Understanding Wife
2 Boxers
4 Cats

wa_desert_rat

Central Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 11:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some coaches have a "boost" switch that connects the chassis/coach battery banks. I push the switch once every 4 weeks while the RV is in storage to keep the chassis battery charged up. The nice thing about the boost switch is that if the chassis battery is discharged the coach batteries will start the engine and allow the alternator to recharge everything.

Craig

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> converter charging chassis battery when plugged in
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS