RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Dometic Cold Air Dump... I want it!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Dometic Cold Air Dump... I want it!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
vacuumbed

Salt Lake City, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 07:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My new to me 96 Monaco Executive does not have this, but my Holiday Rambler TT does. I've got to find a way to make this work.

So what is a cold air dump? Below is a picture. On Dometic ducted systems, you flip a lever in the register and it dumps the entire cold air capacity in one spot directly below the roof mounted unit. Feels great when you come inside the rv on a very hot day.

The trouble is this. The Monaco just has cold air return with a wood trim as seen in the picture below. Since the registers are in a straight line through the cold air return area, this prevents me from using the cold air dump grill shown in the picture above. The cold air dump grill requires a seperator plate to separate the return from the discharge. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

I have removed the register that is closest to the entry door, and if I close the other vents it will dump all the cold air in that location. But then I have to go through the hassle of opening and closing the other vents.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this. Thanks in advance.

Twomed

FL winters and then somewhere cool

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 08:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How new to you?? I think you will find with use that the ducted system is well balanced and less noise than the air dump. Also with the duct using a lot of the 14x14 space you would have a lot less dump than a non ducted unit. JMO... I like my ducted air, plenty cool.

Happy Trails
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

lfeather

Titusville, FL

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/12 06:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is kit out there somewhere. I converted my previous coach 10 years ago, but don't remember the details. As I recall I got the correct register vent and then had to block off somthing inside (behind the register) to make it work. Call Dometic.

Larry, Debbie,Tomi and Daisy
USAF Retired
2003 36' Country Coach Allure #30856
2008 Tacoma Towed
SMI Air Force One toad brake

vacuumbed

Salt Lake City, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 11:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Twomed wrote:

How new to you?? I think you will find with use that the ducted system is well balanced and less noise than the air dump. Also with the duct using a lot of the 14x14 space you would have a lot less dump than a non ducted unit. JMO... I like my ducted air, plenty cool.

I agree, I love the ducted system too. My Holiday Rambler TT and the Monaco Exec are both ducted.

The difference is that the Holiday Rambler has the option for the cold air dump and the Monaco Exec does not.

I have only had the Monaco for a few weeks.

* This post was edited 04/10/12 11:35pm by vacuumbed *

vacuumbed

Salt Lake City, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 11:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I gotta find a way to get this Dometic Quick Cool cold air dump on my Monaco. Below are pictures of each.

1996 Monaco Executive without Quick Cool:

1995 Holiday Rambler Alumalite TT with Quick Cool:

Notice in the picture of the HR has a divider in the center, and on the Monaco the ducting shoots straight through.

I think I can modify it by cutting a section out of the ducting with an opening through the divider. BINGO! I think that's the ticket.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/12 07:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I would do is cut out a section of the duct tube that is like the Quick cool cut out and then velcro a larger patch over that cut out. When to want to quick cool you lower the wooden frame, remove the velcro patch and relatch the wooden frame. The exhaust air will then blow straight down like the quick cool. When you are done drop the wooden frame and velcro the patch over the quick cool cut out. Doug

vacuumbed

Salt Lake City, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/12 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have called Dometic, but it just goes to their call center and they only know so much. I need to find a more advanced tech person there somehow.

vacuumbed

Salt Lake City, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/12 03:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm thinking of dumping that Penguin A/C along with it's special thermostat in favor of the same setup in my Holiday Rambler. A 15,000 BTU Brisk Air with the Chill Grill, controlled by one nice residential Emerson digital thermostat.

I also found a way to consolidate the 5 thermostats in the Monaco to just 2.

The 3 Aqua Hot zones will become one, controlled by the Emerson. The only other thermostat besides the Emerson will be the bedroom A/C, which was allready upgraded to a Dometic digital.

The Kool-O-Matic had it's own thermostat too, making that one number 6. Oh boy, what a mess of thermostats in this coach. I'm so glad I'm dumping that Kool-O-Matic.

Check out this Emersom thermostat. It's awesome huh!?!?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Dometic Cold Air Dump... I want it!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS