RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: iPad 2 or the new iPad?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> iPad 2 or the new iPad?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Davydd

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/12 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the iPad 1 and now have the iPad 3. First, there is no real issue with heat and battery life.

If you are at all interested in photography and video and editing of such the iPad 2 won't cut it. As mentioned you are limited to 16GB and that is not enough for those activities. Secondly the camera and video are vastly improved if you choose to use them. Thirdly, there is no screen anywhere be it computers, tablets or smartphones that can show photos in vivid color and detail like the iPad 3. Think about when you went from analog TV to HD digital. That's the kind of difference. You get used to the retina display real fast and it perhaps is not appreciated until you look back at an older iPad 1 or iPad 2 screen. Besides the photography and photo aspects of the screen reading fine print and just reading is greatly improved. There are more than $100 in improvements in my estimation. I was happy that Apple basically held the price line and packed in the better screen and cameras.

The two iPads have different processors but both perform as fast and smoothly as you could want and both much better than the iPad 1. The iPad 3 processor, though improved, is spent mostly generating 4X the pixels. Operation speed seems about the same.

The other thing is voice dictation converted to text in any app where the virtual keyboard comes up. I'm not sure if the iPad 2 has this. My iPad 1 doesn't. I was surprised how well it works. It works great for me. My wife is not as impressed. I guess it is all in the voice.

I can see where the 16GB iPad 2 would be great for education where schools would limit what you can have on them and use them for. It would be more than adequate as an information gatherer. If all you do is surf the web, send and receive e-mail, do some text processing and databasing, read news apps and magazines, read e-books, use as a lookup reference, watch YouTube and live stream videos, etc. it would be a great tablet and better than any tablet other than the iPad 3. Apps alone assure that. If you don't believe that, then you just don't know what you don't know.

Davydd
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter B Camper Van
Visited states in an RV

dqdick

Council Grove, KS

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/12 07:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on what you use it for. We bought a rebuilt iPad with max memory from Apple. Saved a bunch. It's an AT&T model and we use verizon but that isn't an issue since we have wifi in both our TV and our camper so we have never established an AT&T account. We use it for email and shopping for campsites. Does everything we need it to do.

Dick and Joyce
2010 Montana 3665RE
Dodge 2500HD Maxi Cab Laramie Edition
Diego, Norm, & Bitsy

kcgaz

Scottsdale, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/12 09:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the great input and information. Decided to go with the iPad2 and save $100. Using it right now, it was quick and easy to get up and running. Thanks again!

God Bless,
Kevin & Tracy
1993 Fleetwood Tioga Arrow, 30', Ford 460...Still on the road!
My Blog

camping man

Central Fla.

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/12 11:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And when they break, send them to me, I'm repairing them now, as well as cell phones.To be honest I haven't seen any Ipad 3's yet, but the I 2's battery's have been on backorder, real pain.

05 Dodge CTD NV5600 6speed (100K Mile Club) / 97 Sprinter 5er

Modracer

central cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/12 07:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Waited to get my iPad until the new ones came out. Used my boys 2 a lot. Got mine and when my boy played with mine his 2 went on eBay and he ordered a new one. Using mine on 3G in riverside rv park in Laughlin right now, awesome. Laptop now stays in the cabinet.

06 HR
Ambassador 38PDQ
04 Liberty

SRT

Head of the Lakes, MN

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 01:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chrizg wrote:

I went from a iPad 1 to a 3. The screen is a huge difference. The iPad 1 looks blurry after using the 3. I don't have the heat issues and I condition the battery on everything I buy so I haven't had any battery issues. I use my iPad as my primary device.

So, how do you condition the battery?

christopherglenn

Near Yosemite

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/12 10:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I was in Oakland this weekend (boat show), and got to use the ipad 3 (new ipad) on ATT's LTE network. 28Mb download, 20Mb upload. My cable modem at home is only 22Mb down, and 4Mb up. If nothing else, that is a selling point for the new toys VS last years model.

2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

paulcardoza

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/12 06:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lithium Ion batteries have no memory, so require no conditioning. There's a chance that you can more accurately calibrate your battery meter by going through a couple of full charge cycles, but everything else is just a myth........

SRT wrote:

chrizg wrote:

I went from a iPad 1 to a 3. The screen is a huge difference. The iPad 1 looks blurry after using the 3. I don't have the heat issues and I condition the battery on everything I buy so I haven't had any battery issues. I use my iPad as my primary device.

So, how do you condition the battery?

Paul & Sandra
New Bedford, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/12 02:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought an iPad 2 with 64GB and 3G. If one can afford it, having the high capacity will come into handy, because it can store documents, music, and a good amount of apps.

Caveat: Use Wi-Fi for transferring files for the most part, because if you do a complete backup or restore over the 3g/4g interface, it can get costly.

Maxi Signal

Buffalo , NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/12 03:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is an interesting discussion at the Howard Forum's regarding the value of the new IPAD . The head guy there actually has one and is going to return it. Here is a link to that discussion.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1760158-Anyone-return-their-iPad-3?highlight=returning+ipad

The Howard Forums is the forum to go to on the net for anything cellular

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> iPad 2 or the new iPad?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS