RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: RV building electrical panel bonding?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> RV building electrical panel bonding?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Cox89XJ

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 10:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have moved. We sold our house and the 30X40 metal building that housed our 5th wheel. The good news is, we have built a bigger building on our land a 36x40 with two garage doors. One for the RV the other for other uses.
My question. This is a pole barn with wood structure on the inside. I have a 90 amp panel installed in the building. It has passed the electrical rough in inspection. What I forgot to ask the inspector is. Do I need to bond the electrical panel to the building outside metal (tin)? Nowhere in the building does any electrical touch any metal. My old building was completely metal with no wood and I had to bond the electrical panel to the metal. Do I need to do the same with this type of building? My thoughts are. I don’t see where it would hurt and yes there is a ground rod installed at the building. The inspector is scheduled for the final tomorrow and if I don’t hear from yall, I’ll go ahead and bond the electrical panel to the tin. What do you think?

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 10:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't have to bond the panel to the tin since you have a ground rod installed. The rod is the path to ground from any wiring,of course. There is little reason to have the siding in the electrical ground plane and a lot of reasons not to.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Cox89XJ

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/12 04:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It passed final inspection. I didn't mention bonding the breaker panel to the tin, neither did he. He did check to see if I had bonded the ground bar to the box though.

* This post was edited 04/11/12 04:58pm by Cox89XJ *

vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/12 08:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The requirement for bonding the steel building is NEC 250.104(C). I suspect your inspector will require it. As to why, if a fault develops between a hot & the steel, the driven ground may not provide a low enough resistance connection to trip the supply breaker. The reason for bonding is to provide a low resistance connection that trips the supply breaker during a fault.

Jon Vermilye Travel & Photo Web Pages ... My Collection of RV Blogs & Journals
My Travel Journal - Jon's Journeys
Lake McDonald, Glacier National Park, MT

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 10:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally I would earth ground the structure to the ground rod and the service drop transformer center tap (neutral) to the same point in the panel.

Because of the effects of lightning, I would consider totally isolating (disconnecting) the AC shore power system and using a small solar panel totally and completely insulated from the metal building to maintain batteries.

Cox89XJ

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 10:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, I guess I won't bond it. Why did I have to bond the metal building in 06? It also had a ground rod?

Cox89XJ

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/12 04:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

vermilye wrote:

The requirement for bonding the steel building is NEC 250.104(C). I suspect your inspector will require it. As to why, if a fault develops between a hot & the steel, the driven ground may not provide a low enough resistance connection to trip the supply breaker. The reason for bonding is to provide a low resistance connection that trips the supply breaker during a fault.

The tin on the side of the building is bonded to the # 4 solid copper wire going to the ground rod where I had to mount a communication entrance grounding bar for telephone, TV etc.
It's a wooden pole barn on the inside. Just has metal on the outside. When I wired my all metal building back in 06. The inspector had me bond the breaker panel to the steel structure. This building is different.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> RV building electrical panel bonding?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS