RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Installing Air Conditioner Over Existing Vent Cover.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Installing Air Conditioner Over Existing Vent Cover.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
1L243

Roseburg Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/12 12:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am in the process of installing a second AC (Duo Therm by Dometic) over the existing vent cover in the garage of my TH. I have a aluminum roof. The old vent has left holes in the aluminum. It says in the instructions to fill holes. I don't want to use caulk because it's right where the gasket of the AC will go. I am thinking of using Aluminum Foil Duct tape over the holes. It seems to stick well but I do not know how it will hold up to exposure to water?

Also.

I have a six inch thick roof. Instructions say I need optional duct adapter kit which will come with longer bolts 8" instead of 7" and a small metal duct extention. I would have to order this. I am thinking I can buy 1/4" x 8" bolts and make my own square duct but the instructions say the bolts are self locking? So are they something special? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2011 Work and Play 30WR. Added 2nd AC, four deep cycle batteries.

Wills250psd

walnutcove NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/12 05:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the AC gasket covers the holes it will not leak, but I would buy the correct vent kit. You have a very nice TT so I would not cut corners.JMO

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/12 02:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't see an issue with using dicor - if you have some eternabond tape that should work.

Kevin

Chris Bryant

DeLand, Florida, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/12 02:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I usually run flat head screws into the holes, pulled so the heads are just flush. If they will be inside or well under the gasket, I don't worry about it. If it's close to the edge, I will put a dab of proflex on the screw holes and run the screws through it, clean the excess and let it set for a bit before putting the unit down.

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

1L243

Roseburg Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/12 10:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked at the bolts a little closer and can see that they are a flange bolt with locking ridges under the flange which is why they are self locking...

So, you don't think I should use the aluminum tape. I just did not want to use something like Dicor or Butyl because I don't want the gasket to stick to it..

1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/12 07:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blue Lock-tite will lock the bolts down and you will be able to remove them. Don't use the red unless you want the bolt in permently.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Installing Air Conditioner Over Existing Vent Cover.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS