RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Do all RV's pull to the right?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Do all RV's pull to the right?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
bts1985

Land 'O Lakes

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/12 02:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot of great responses thank you very much!

To address some of the questions:

The coach is just a few years old and has about 17,000 miles on the chassis. The coach was empty when I took it in - no water in the tanks, and even our cupboards were empty as well, including any loose items that were around. The tires are basically new - probably a couple thousand miles on them - pressures have all been checked. The original tires, which tracked straight and still had plenty of tread, had dryrot on the sidewalls. That's the only reason I changed them. The brakes - I guess it's possible a caliper could be sticking, but they feel like new and don't pull at all when I brake. Don't know if that means anything. No mechanic has mentioned any brake issues though.

Both mechanics said the same thing, "we adjusted it to spec." I'll bet they measured it, noticed it was "in spec," then charge me 300.00 anyway. They eventually did the right thing and refunded the alignment portion of the bill. Well - as of yet it hasn't been adjusted in my account. They are waiting for the "paperwork" LOL!!!

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/12 09:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If they adjust in spec and send you down the road then they have not done a proper alignment and have not earned $300. Probably a toe-n-go shop

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/12 10:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just as a shade tree answer, if the brakes on the side it pulls to aren't hotter than the ones on the other side, I wouldn't count on a tight brake being the source of the pull. If you have an InfraRed "Temp Gun" try to shoot just the rotor or caliper, which means through a hole in the wheel and point blank range.
I can only hope that the alignment "rack" or "machine" whatever you call it was in calibration.
I stand by my comment and those of others that "Specs are the Starting Point." A high school home economics student can set a vehicle to spec. The Rack's the Oven, the Vehicle's the Ingredients, the Wrenches are the Mixmaster, and the Specs are the Recipe" BAM! You got Cake! But would you serve it to company?

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Coach-man

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/12 02:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bts1985 wrote:

LOL! That's what I said. I was very pleased with their other work. I don't understand why they would say something like that and ruin my whole experience with them along with their reputation.

Dave - I have considered contacting Dodge. I haven't found anything similar online when I research Sprinter issues.

Why would you contact Dodge? Why not Chevy or Ford?? Since non of these companies have anything to do with Sprinter calling any would give you the same results! Sprinter is sold and serviced by Freightliner! If you are going to call anyone call Freightliner.

My Prisim runs straight and true no pull left or right! Anyone telling you different is just whistling Dixie!

bts1985

Land 'O Lakes

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/12 02:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the great responses. I really felt like they were trying to hand me a line, and based on what everyone has said, they were.

I will say that Lazy Day's did a nice job on my tires and I'm very happy with that. If they had put a little more time into the alignment, my experience would have been really great.

So it looks like I will have to take it to either a Mercedes or Freightliner dealer for the alignment. The Mercedes rep that I called recommended that. I wonder how much that will cost?

Coach-man

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/12 11:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bts1985 wrote:

Thanks for all the great responses. I really felt like they were trying to hand me a line, and based on what everyone has said, they were.

I will say that Lazy Day's did a nice job on my tires and I'm very happy with that. If they had put a little more time into the alignment, my experience would have been really great.

So it looks like I will have to take it to either a Mercedes or Freightliner dealer for the alignment. The Mercedes rep that I called recommended that. I wonder how much that will cost?

If I may suggest Ocala Freightlinner just off I-75. They even have a small RV Park in case you have to overnight. Excellant shop with experianced mechanics!

Dakzuki

Carnation, Wa, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/12 12:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bts1985 wrote:

I have a Itasca Navion that I tried to get a front end alignment done and was told that the chassis are set up for a slight pull to the right. Is this true? Will a perfectly aligned RV still always drift to the right? Or is this only an issue with the Sprinter chassis?

My Navion tracks so straight I can let go of the wheel on a level road with no crosswind. I guess there must be something wrong with it.

2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

bts1985

Land 'O Lakes

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/12 07:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coach-man wrote:

bts1985 wrote:

If I may suggest Ocala Freightlinner just off I-75. They even have a small RV Park in case you have to overnight. Excellant shop with experianced mechanics!

Thank you very much!

cac43

mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/12 05:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently bought a 2009 Winnebago Class C "as is" and on the way home from TN I noticed it was pulling to the right as I went down the road.
When I took it to a local Ford dealer to get it inspected prior to licensing (MO) they said the front tires, brakes and front end checked out fine.
I took it to a Alignment center that does a lot of RVs and they found out the ball joints were bad. (Said alignment was ok).After replacement of ball joints the rv steered straight. (so I guess they were bad???)

bts1985

Land 'O Lakes

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/12 11:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cac43 wrote:

I recently bought a 2009 Winnebago Class C "as is" and on the way home from TN I noticed it was pulling to the right as I went down the road.
When I took it to a local Ford dealer to get it inspected prior to licensing (MO) they said the front tires, brakes and front end checked out fine.
I took it to a Alignment center that does a lot of RVs and they found out the ball joints were bad. (Said alignment was ok).After replacement of ball joints the rv steered straight. (so I guess they were bad???)

I will check this out - thanks!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Do all RV's pull to the right?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS