|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> washing dishes in TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
atomlinson

Hebron, KY

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/12 12:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As stated already, avoid all grease going down your drain. Warm grease will harden, and will stick to pipes, just like at your home. Also when you empty out at the dump station, you introduce your grease to the cg's sanitary sewer system, which may over time develop a blockage in their sewer lines as well. I work for the local sewer department, and have had the unfortunate pleasure of cleaning out stopped up sewer lines due to grease blockages. Nastier than "poo" by far! Just keep as much grease in your garbage can as possible, and out of your drain.

Andy
2012 Keystone Outback 280RS
2003 Chevy Silverado 1500HD

campn4walleye

Central WI

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/12 12:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use your napkins or paper towels to wipe the big stuff off your dishes before washing. I know that sounds silly, but you'll keep your tank a lot cleaner and be assured that the least amt of grease is going in. Also, try to use the least amt of soap that will still clean. This will ensure that your tank will last yrs without problems.

2011 Adventurer 910FBS,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD, 4x4, LB,CC,6 speed auto,3.73 axle, General 17" on/off road
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

campn4walleye

Central WI

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/12 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Smax, what a great tip! I'll try that! I hate using good water to flush the black tank.

Jack_Diane_Freedom

Milton Ontario Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/12 03:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If we are cooking bacon or something else greasy in the TT (rather than outside) we use paper towels to soak up and absorb the grease and put it in the garbage. Remaining grease get washed with the dishes.

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/12 04:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

we have one of the small wire strainers in the sink drain opening to catch small food particles, and don't dump grease down the drain. Other than that, everything that can go in the sink ends up in the drain.

DW usually scrapes of dishes with one of the silcone scrapers before washing, but that's more to make dishwashing easier than anything else.

We also use the screen to keep larger scaps of food out of the tank and don't put grease or drippings from frying anything down the drain. We do a light deglaze on drippings and then use a paper towel to get the majority out of the pan. Grease goes into a jar that is kept under the sink and throw out with the regular trash when about full.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/12 01:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a paper towel to wipe food residue out before washing. Then the paper towels go out with the trash. Don't obsess about it, be be more careful than at home. No need to add more potentially smelly stuff than needed.

And of course no grease, just like at home.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/12 05:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sandia Man wrote:

We attempt to limit the amount of grease and food particles that goes down the drain but we don't obsess over it either. There are products available for cleaning your grey tanks if grease build-up ever becomes an issue. Happy Camping!!!

That's really all you need to know.

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Opie431

Bellevue, MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 06:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any water we use to wash in the sink goes down the drain but my husband usually does the dishes and he does dishes on the picnic table unless it is cold or raining. That water does not go down the drain.

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/12 04:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

campn4walleye wrote:

Smax, what a great tip! I'll try that! I hate using good water to flush the black tank.
We always do this when dry camping, as the grey tank will always fill faster than the black.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2005 KIA Spectra
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/12 05:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

korbe wrote:

We normally will wipe our plates with used napkins prior to washing. We will also wipe down everything else with food particles prior to washing. No reason to put that stuff down into the tank and it doesn't take much time at all.

X2

we also are just careful what goes down the drain

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> washing dishes in TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: