RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Please recommend an 8 or 10 person family tent for us?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Please recommend an 8 or 10 person family tent for us?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
wilfwolf

Atlanta,GA

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 12:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can anyone recommend a tent that would be big enough for me, my wife , and 3 children? My youngest will be sleeping in a pack and play.

Would like a bathtub floor, good ventilation. A canopy over the front door would be a great bonus. I like the idea of divided rooms.

We are not camping anywhere very cold.. but would need something that will stand up to rain.

We are considering a family camping tent a friend is using.

Thank you.

I've no house in the city, just a camping tent in the wild.

chuggs

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/12 05:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over the years...we've bought tents from Costco at the end of the season. To tell you the truth...they never stock the same model twice...so it's difficult to recommend anything.

We like the dome style, mosquito mesh roof panel with rain fly...the one we have now has a rain fly extension...and ground cloth flap that makes a front porch. We usually route an extension cord inside..there's a flap designed for that.. to run an oscillating fan for circulation. It's large enough for two queen sized aerobeds...and a dog crate...

It winds up easier for us doing it this way. We save a ton on the purchase..a couple of years down the road...we'll find another one on clearance...eventually we give away our existing tent to one of the kids...and break out the new one.

I only have one tent that I've kept for any length of time. It's a Kelty...backpacking tent I bought when I was in Boy Scouts...1973... It's 39 years old... Gotta give it a good wash..and intend to use it on some kayaking adventures. I never could bring myself to giving that one away.

* This post was edited 04/13/12 06:08am by chuggs *

omatty

nashville, tn

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 05:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nw territory has a few...front porch tent, vacation home etc.. check them out.

tplife

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your best bet is a 6-man and a 4-man, with the two oldest in the 4. Consider one quality tent (REI? Sierra Designs? Big Agnes?) and one cheapie (Eureka Tetragon 8?) and upgrade later. Anything over 6 is difficult to set up, is bigger than most ideal spaces (10X10) at the campsite, usually is under-engineered with poles too thin for the amount of "canvas" they're holding up, have too thin a denier of fabric, large to transport and possibly compromised with steel poles, lack full-coverage rainflys, have screen porches you will almost never use, etc. Those huge tents are great for long-term or seasonal setups but are a real PIA for typical 3-day weekend camping. The advice above regarding Costco Coleman tents is good advice, while they are the bottom-rung in quality, the low Big Box price makes parting less difficult and at least you're out there gaining experience.

Lowsuv

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 06:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eureka Grand Manan
Eureka Copper Canyon
Maybe a Eureka Sunrise.
Do not go with the cheaper Eureka Tetragon

WI Bowhunter

Shiocton, WI

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just got the Eureka Tetragon 1610. Got it on Amazon for $142.25(included shipping). Have not camped in it yet, but it sets up nice and has plenty of room. We will use it for kids and their friends when we camp. I was looking into the high end tents, but could not bring myself to spend upwards of $400 on a tent. I had a coleman that was roughly the same size and always found room on my site to set it up along with our TT. I also would recommend a screen tent or instant-up canopy tent. It's nice for shade or keep the picnic table dry during a light rain. Best of luck...it took me several weeks to decide on my Eureka. So many choices!!!

Keep the Shiny Side Up!

2011 F150 Supercrew, 4X4 3.5 Ecoboost, 145" wheelbase, 3.73 gears, Max trailer Tow package

2014 Puma 30DBSS
Equali-I-Zer WD Hitch

3 kids and 1 DW

CincyGus

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/12 07:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have a tent anymore since getting a camper a few years back but here is the one I had picked out to get prior to finding the camper.

Tent

I liked it because it was pretty roomy and the real seller for me was the swinging door instead of the typical zipper from bottom to top. Wife and daughter always struggled with the zipper and with younger kids, I'm sure this would be of benefit to you also.

Check out the reviews, seems like it scored pretty high from the people using it.

Good luck in your decision.

2011 Silverado Crewcab 4x4
2012 Passport 238ML

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

buta4

MA

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 07:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recommend the Eureka Condo tent with full fly effectively creating a double wall design. Ain't NO rain gonna even think about enterin' that beast! 10 1/2' by 20'.

Ray

tplife

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/12 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tents that are larger than 6-man that weigh less than 25 pounds? Better make sure you stake every tiedown, take along a pole repair kit and don't carry anything sharp in your pockets. I agree about not paying $400 and up for high-end tents, I've bought 3 high end tents 60% off MSRP and new-in-the-box at auction off Ebay, and If I can do it, well...

TheCampyMom

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/12 04:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the Coleman Prairie Breeze. It is very roomy. We camp with 3 kids as well. We are able to fit 2 queen size inflatable mattresses, a Pack 'N Play and we still have room for a box fan, backpacks and well...walking. It does not have a porch. We use foam floor tiles (like you see in preschools in bright colors) on the floor. They make it comfortable and it's great if you have an infant or toddler, because they can crawl/walk around in there. We found ours a couple years ago at Sams.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Please recommend an 8 or 10 person family tent for us?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS