|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> sliding hitch questions

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
pjhansman

North Eastern Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/12 05:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't quite understand the problem. I have a 16k slider....takes maybe 30 seconds to get out of the truck and move it ahead or back. Why wouldn't you do it every time?

Phil & Rae.....and 2 feline furkids to make travel interesting
2011 Keystone Laredo 316RL
2005 Ford F250 SD, 6L PSD, 4x4
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator

dubdub07

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/12 09:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pjhansman wrote:

Don't quite understand the problem. I have a 16k slider....takes maybe 30 seconds to get out of the truck and move it ahead or back. Why wouldn't you do it every time?

The OP isn't questioning the process as I am sure he knows this. Circumstances are different for everyone. Why he wants to do this isn't our concern

2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2013 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

pjhansman

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/12 10:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dubdub07 wrote:

pjhansman wrote:

The OP isn't questioning the process as I am sure he knows this. Circumstances are different for everyone. Why he wants to do this isn't our concern

The positions on the sliding hitch are clearly labeled "towing" and "maneuvering". Very clear in my opinion. My point was....if something takes only a few seconds than why would you consider doing it the wrong way?

It is also "relatively safe" at times not to wear your seatbelt, but I wear mine whenever I'm in a moving vehicle.

My apologies for not getting your approval prior to posting this reply.

RECVEH2005

Green Valley, AZ, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/12 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't compare towing a fiver with the hitch in a slid back position with towing a conventional travel trailer. Remember, a conventional travel trailer uses spring bars which transfer some of the tongue weight to the truck's front wheels and the trailer's wheels.

Mike

Mike & Donna Scheer
Green Valley, AZ, USA

2013 GMC SRW Crew Cab 3500 short-bed D/A
2013 HitchHiker Discover America 300 FK

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/12 10:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pjhansman wrote:

Seriously, are you really that lucky that you always have the room to jump out and move it? Probably half the time I have to get through town first before I can find a safe place to put it back into tow.

pjhansman

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/12 11:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mile High wrote:

pjhansman wrote:

Seriously, are you really that lucky that you always have the room to jump out and move it? Probably half the time I have to get through town first before I can find a safe place to put it back into tow.

Seriously, you're missing the point.

Yes, there've been times when I've had to pull for a distance with the slide in the maneuvering position. Because I HAD to.

There is a huge difference between advocating or condoning doing something wrong (and yes I consider it wrong) by choice, compared to doing it wrong because you have no alternative.

Just my opinion of course.

chuggs

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/12 11:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't see a problem with what he's doing... He's just running down a road a piece. Perhaps the slides on his hitch are older and don't work like new anymore.

As far as comparing to a bumper tow...you're right --- It's no comparison...

Let's assume a 2000 lb pin weight...4" aft of the axle... 2000x4=8000lb-in of force being applied to "lift the front tires"...

Now...Let's look at how many lbs of tongue weight on a TT would give the same ammount of force... On a short bed truck...the hitch ball is at least 35" aft of the axle... so 8000 lb-in / 35" = 228 lbs of tongue weight. I don't know anybody hauling a TT with a 228 lb tongue weight.

Regardless of what the OP does...he's still better off, in my mind, than towing a TT.

The only thing that he has to worry about really is how well the hitch rails can hold the weight in the maneuver position. I haven't looked at how much they reinforce the rails in the tow position v. the maneuver position. I can't imagine it's that big a deal to drive 10 miles down the road round trip.

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/12 01:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pjhansman wrote:

Mile High wrote:

pjhansman wrote:

Yes, there've been times when I've had to pull for a distance with the slide in the maneuvering position. Because I HAD to.

There is a huge difference between advocating or condoning doing something wrong (and yes I consider it wrong) by choice, compared to doing it wrong because you have no alternative.

Ah - OK. I re-read the OPs question and I see where you are coming from.

dubdub07

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/12 01:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mile High wrote:

pjhansman wrote:

Mile High wrote:

pjhansman wrote:

Ah - OK. I re-read the OPs question and I see where you are coming from.

I still don't. It isn't unsafe nor illegal. The only reason I could see would be 1000 miles in the rear position might put 20% more wear on the truck.......

It is, however, illegal NOT to wear your seatbelt. Whether you choose to wear it or not.......

MC9

Cheboygan,MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/12 01:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your front wheels come off the ground, reconsider.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> sliding hitch questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS