|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> inverter

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Scott & Jill

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/12 10:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is the inverter supposed to run power to your entire 110 outlet in the coach so you can run lights or a TV without being plugged into a power source? If so then I think there is something wrong with my inverter. I can't get anything to work unless I’m plugged into house.

Life is too short; enjoy it the best way possible

btilfan

springfield NE

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 10:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you sure you have an inverter?
mine does not.

1990 Cobra Malibu
My new hobby.

adamxcl

Southwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/12 10:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I standard RV only has power to the 110 outlets when the RV is plugged in somewhere. You would have to have gone somewhere and paid (or self installed) to have a special inverter installed specifically for converting power like that. They do lose a small amount of power in the conversion, so for solar installs, the ideal way is to use DC appliances as much as possible.

Hoosier Cruiser

Anderson, Indiana, U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 11:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most manufacturers do not power all outlets with the inverter. Our inverter has 2 output circuits. One is used for the microwave. The other is used to power 19 outlets which is the front TV and accessories and the whole passinger side.
But if nothing is working off your inverter here are some items to check:
Is the inverter turned on? We have a remote panel that has an Invert push button to turn on the inverter. If you do not have a remote panel, there may be a switch or button on the inverter to turn it on.
Are the 1 or two breakers on the inverter ON?
Do you have any voltage DC between the two main heavy cables attached to the inverter?
If you had to measured the voltage, was it above 12 volts? If not you may have to charge the batteries to bring the batteries voltage up to the inverter threashold turn on voltage. Usually, the inverter is really an inverter/charger. If the batteries have low voltage, the charger may not be working when plugged into shore power. You have have a Aux Battery disconnect switch that is OFF not allowing the batteries to charge or to feed the inverter.

Hoosier Cruiser

Scott & Jill

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/12 11:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the box with all the breakers in it and has a fan running too keep it cool when plugged into shore power.

1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 11:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That box is the power distribution panel and it contains the converter(fan running). The converter changes 120VAC to 12VDC to run the lights, pump, and to charge the batteries.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/12 12:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What @1995Brave said. Also what @adamxcl said.

All RVs have a "converter," the function of which is to charge the house batteries and supply 12 volt electricity to the lights, 'fridge control panel, furnace control panel, and a couple other things that use 12 volt power. That is the box w/ fan of which you wrote, @Scott & Jill. Almost no RVs have inverters unless you had one installed special. And when inverters are installed, they are never used to power everything unless you have a HUGE battery bank for the simple reason that anything less will leave folks flat out of power fairly quickly, guaranteed. ESPECIALLY folks who do not fully understand all the obscure details of power management.

wallynm

Los Alamos NM

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 12:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless it was a special order or one was installed as an after market I do not believe that model as stated in you profile page would have an inverter.

Scott & Jill wrote:

Is the inverter supposed to run power to your entire 110 outlet in the coach so you can run lights or a TV without being plugged into a power source? If so then I think there is something wrong with my inverter. I can't get anything to work unless I’m plugged into house.

DONATE THAT OLD CELL PHONE TO SUPPORT SOLDIERS click here

Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner Yahoo Group or FCOC Web Page

2002 DSDP 3567 PUSHED BY KITTY KAT

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Scott & Jill

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/12 04:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

naturist wrote:

What @1995Brave said. Also what @adamxcl said.

All RVs have a "converter," the function of which is to charge the house batteries and supply 12 volt electricity to the lights, 'fridge control panel, furnace control panel, and a couple other things that use 12 volt power. That is the box w/ fan of which you wrote, @Scott & Jill. Almost no RVs have inverters unless you had one installed special. And when inverters are installed, they are never used to power everything unless you have a HUGE battery bank for the simple reason that anything less will leave folks flat out of power fairly quickly, guaranteed. ESPECIALLY folks who do not fully understand all the obscure details of power management.

Well that’s probably why it don't work thanks for getting me strait on that. Scott

litespeed

Tucson, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/12 05:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot of the newer coaches have a pretty sophisticated inverter that shuts off once you have drained the batteries past a certain point..in my case about 10.5 volts. I find the benefit to be having some 120 volt service when it is past generator hours in a campground...but you are not going to run a microwave or a coffee maker for very long...but lights and TV's ..quite a few hours before u are done.

Jay & Lee(and Lucy..the Jack Russell Terrorist)
2010 Dutch Star 4010 DP with 2011 Jeep Rubicon in tow

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> inverter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS