RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Battery Life Expectancy ???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Battery Life Expectancy ???

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/12 01:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The math: 120V/12V= a ratio of 10 or a 1A AC fan draws 10A DC, add 20% for the inverter and you draw 12A*6hrs = 72AH and you are now at 50% discharge on the battery. At this point the battery should be charged not further discharged. But add the additional RV loads and = dead battery.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

garym114

Bluff Dale, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/12 01:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have two 12v fans. You will see they run on 8 D cells or a 110v wall adapter. The wall adapter makes 12v DC so it has a 12v power port.
Cut the wall adapter wire at the adapter. Now you have a length of two conductor wire with a 12v power connector on the end that plugs into the fan. You can wire it directly into any 12v circuit you have. You have to figure out which wire is the center connect on the power port. This wire goes to 12v positive and the other to 12v ground. A multimeter will help you with this, just check wire continuity.
I found some female connectors the same size and wired them in where I wanted to use the fan. Also made an extension cord for the power.
The fan pulls about 0.6 amps on Hi and 0.4 amps on Low.
The Fan On Amazon

You should only discharge a battery down to 50%, about 12v. So, a 100 amp battery should be recharged when 50 amps has been used. If you discharge completly it will have a very short life.

2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

Padlin

W. Ma.

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/12 03:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I remember correctly the original fan was about 4A, I get the same as RCMAN for the Fantastic Fan. A single incandecent RV lamp is just under 1.4A.
I find the Walmart batteries require water often.

* This post was edited 04/14/12 04:07pm by Padlin *

Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/12 02:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Fantastic fan draws 2.5 amps at the high speed and 1.0 amps at the low speed setting.

I first read this post as asking how long the battery will last by that I mean before it would need to be replaced. That depends on how low the battery voltage is before recharging and how many times it is done. The OP has already took significant life out of his battery by running it until it was dead.

batesrt

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/12 02:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chakara wrote:

Many RV's have cigarette lighter type outlets that you could use to run a DC fan. That should be MUCH nicer on your battery. Otherwise you may need to tap into the electrical system to install one. They are very handy for things like this as well as charging gadgets like cell phones.

Hope this helps!

-Chak

Thanks yeah we have been using the cigarette lighter outlet.....only we have a power inverter plugged into it, and then the 1amp fan plugged into the power inverter.

So a DC fan straight into the cigarette adapter would pull much less amps than the method we're currently using above with the inverter?

(I should have mentioned unfortunately a generator is not an option for us)

Lowsuv

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/12 03:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 400 watt inverter has the choice of two different leads.
One lead has a cigarette lighter adapter on it.
The alternate lead has alligator clips that can be connected to the battery posts.
The inverter definitely makes more output when connected to the battery posts.
For fans you definitely want to go with 12 volt.
The inverter has its own waste factor and I perceive that to be more than just 10% based on usage.
When using 12 volt the wire size you use is much more critical. The drop in voltage is significant. You can improve your situation further by using # 10 AWG to run your fan. Replace the wire that came with your 12 volt fan and you will discover what I mean.
I was an electrician a long time ago.
One way to increase efficiency in a boat or TT is to add an additional wire (pos & neg) to your higher consumption loads. By reducing your parasitic loss in half you save your battery.
We boondock in the National Forests without solar.
Big batteries, efficient wiring, and good battery management.
With my heavy duty jumper cables I will connect to my trailer battery after driving my dual battery duramax. I don't turn on the engine to charge the TT batteries I just let them equalize. The truck gets run every other day any way. No problems.
We do not use one of the nifty little generators because the folks I camp with repeatedly don't want any generator noise.
Me Neither.

Huntindog

phoenix arizona USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/12 01:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

The math: 120V/12V= a ratio of 10 or a 1A AC fan draws 10A DC, add 20% for the inverter20%???? Wow. I gotta admit that I haven't looked at everything out there, but I have owned a 1/2 dozen or so inverters over the last 20 years and none of them have been that ineficient. Mine have all been around 90%.....It seems that the standby draw varies a lot though. But that wouldn't be an issue here as he would just unplug it when it's not being used. and you draw 12A*6hrs = 72AH and you are now at 50% discharge on the battery. At this point the battery should be charged not further discharged. But add the additional RV loads and = dead battery.

Huntindog
2010 Palomino Sabre 30BHDS
TWO bathrooms...No waiting!
MICHELIN XPS RIBS LRE
2011 Silverado Big Dually 3500 4x4 CC D/A
EQUALIZER Hitch
100% BOONDOCKING
Check out Rusty and her pups at www.bluecollarbrittanys.com

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/12 04:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Low power 12v vent fan will be best to cool down in the evenings.
LED lights and 200+ watts of solar will also make a big difference.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

batesrt

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/12 04:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lowsuv wrote:

With my heavy duty jumper cables I will connect to my trailer battery after driving my dual battery duramax. I don't turn on the engine to charge the TT batteries I just let them equalize. The truck gets run every other day any way. No problems.

That reminds me of another question......when camping should we be disconnecting the main power cable from our tow vehicle? I usually do anyway, but wasn't sure if that made any difference good or bad. My tow vehicle gets run every day

Chakara

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/12 07:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would always unplug the TV from the trailer. If you don't, you run the risk of running down the batteries in the TV along with the trailer.

Now, i know some TV's are wired in a way where this won't happen - but personally I don't know if mine is or not and thus I always unplug.

-Chak

- 2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 standard
- 2010 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 246RKS 28'

Link to my Blog with Techie stuff like LED's and Boondocking

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Battery Life Expectancy ???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts