|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Towing input needed for 32 ft camper w/ expedition

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/12 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LarryJM wrote:

CarolinaHokie wrote:

I have a new 2011 Ford Expedition with heavy duty towing package. It is supposed to include some kind of antisway technology, but we will see. I also have the 3.73 axle ratio specifically chosen for towing. I have not towed anything with it yet though!

It is supposed to be able to tow up to 9200 lbs. We are considering a Shadow Cruiser 280QBS that is under 5000 lbs dry weight and 32 feet long. I know I am well within weight specs, but I am nervous about the length. I have been told to get a Hensley Arrow Hitch and may well do so. Could I tow it ok without this special hitch?

We have not ever owned a Travel trailer. I am not willing to start with something used and smaller since I need a larger size for my three large kids, and haven't found anything used around me that will work (well, nothing that doesnt cost the same as new at least!). I know the standard plan is to start small, but we have spent time in trailers of family for years (always wanting our own!) and are pretty sure we know what we need.

Thanks for any advice you can give me on this possible pairing.

(sorry, I just realized this should prob go in the towing forum, but I guess I cannot move it now. )

I know some folks here will say you are good to go and power wise that might be true, but I would not tow a 32' full profile TT with a 119" TV WB. That's a lot of side area to control in side wind towing situations. My 1T Van weighs almost 2500lbs more than is what on the TT axles and with a 31'TT and a 138"WB I personally would not go longer.

JMHO,

Larry

IF it is an EL. He has 131" wheelbase. But he didn't say which Expe he has.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
04 F150, 5.4, Lariat SuperCab
Lazy Campers

E&J push'n wind

San Diego CA, The best climate on earth!

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/12 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

33' 11" TT pulling with my Armada 123" WB and a Hensley. Got the hitch based on my dads recomendation and glad I did.

Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know much, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon

eric james

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/12 08:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will be able to tow it very well with a Hensley. The only problem you will have by the numbers is your payload. I'm 400 lbs under GVWR and 6000 lb trailer. You have bigger kids. I'm running a Reese Straitline/Dual Cam hitch, 33' bumper to ball trailer. Three seasons without any issue or incidents.

2009 Keystone Passport UL 290BH
2003 Ford Expedition EB 5.4L/3.73

scraig400

storage

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/12 08:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CarolinaHokie wrote:

Thank you for all of your replies and advice. The TV is set, we cannot alter that for various reasons (not anytime soon). DH did all the calculations and we are well within the 80% rule with the GVWR. We could theoretically go with a slightly smaller trailer but I wanted some input with the 32 feet length paired with the Hensley arrow hitch to try to stabilize things.

We have the 2011 expy as well... Extended version so we drop to only 8700 towing capacity. We are newbies and got the 2703 rockwood ultra light with total exterior lenght of 32 ft. Still finding our comfort zone with hauling it but no issues so far... When camping it is just the 2 of us and 2 dogs and we could not be happier with the space and would not enjoy it if it were smaller.... Ours has oppossing slide outs and love them!

CarolinaHokie

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/12 09:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No we have the non-EL version so a 119 inch wheelbase. Three kids and DH and I weight a total of 550 pounds (so far). They are tall and skinny No dogs.

We haven't bought a trailer yet, so damage isn't done yet! I just wanted to see if anyone had towed a 32' with this type of setup successfully. I am willing to pay for the Hensley, I do need the peace of mind.

eric james

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/12 10:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

550 people + 800 lb of tongue weight easily = 1350 lbs.

What's your payload sticker say inside the door jamb? I think it's 1600.

1600 - 1350 = 250 left on these numbers.

The truck won't collapse and you can put all your gear in the trailer.

BUFFALODAN

Buffalo NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/12 06:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://www.trailerlife.com/reviews/trail........e-durango-and-cruiser-rv-shadow-cruiser/

read the comments too.

2006 KZ Frontier 2505
2006 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD
2014 Chevy Silverado Double Cab 4WD
1 DW
3DD's

Wills250psd

walnutcove NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/12 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CarolinaHokie wrote:

No we have the non-EL version so a 119 inch wheelbase. Three kids and DH and I weight a total of 550 pounds (so far). They are tall and skinny No dogs.

We haven't bought a trailer yet, so damage isn't done yet! I just wanted to see if anyone had towed a 32' with this type of setup successfully. I am willing to pay for the Hensley, I do need the peace of mind.
Take a look at the propride it is adjustable and the hensley is not. If you need to adjust or ever change TV's you have to pay something like $75 dollars for shipping TO GET THE PROPER STINGER and with PROPRIDE you have it all the first time. If you watch the videos I think the PP is a little more heavy duty. JMO

Playtime II

No. VA

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/12 08:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In any rear bunk model it is tempting to load the bunk area with stuff for a trip. Depending on the axle location, loading the bunk area could easily lighten the hitch weight below 10-15% which would increase the possibility of sway. We try hard to load most of the stuff just forward of the TT axles and balance the rest of the lighter stuff between the front and the rear of the TT. For us it only a cooler, two bins of food, adog crate, and a couple of bags of clothes but the weight does add up and I only have a half-ton (for now).

Playtime IV
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/12 09:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2010 F150 with the TBS control. It will not make your TV/TT handle better it will only prevent the TV/TT from going out of control. If your not setup proporly you will have an ill handling setup. You will get pushed around by the wind and semi's. With a good WD hitch you will not have those problems and if you start to experience sever sway then your TBS will kick in. You could also look for a used Hensley.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Towing input needed for 32 ft camper w/ expedition
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS