RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Looking for a different towing vehicle...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Looking for a different towing vehicle...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
BUFFALODAN

Buffalo NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/12 07:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is the Denali fulll time AWD??? If so that certainly isnt helping in the mileage department.

2006 KZ Frontier 2505
2006 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD
2014 Chevy Silverado Double Cab 4WD
1 DW
3DD's

harper223

West Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/12 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just get a bigger fuel tank. That's what I would do anyway. It won't help with MPGs but you will be fueling less often. Drive it till the wheels fall off.

"Whatever is good to know, is difficult to to learn."

rob85546

Hot arizona

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/12 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have to agree here... UNLESS you tow ALOT

ata3001 wrote:

If you are buying new, the difference in what your current vehicle is worth vs what a new one will cost might buy you a whole lotta gas, plus the newer diesels will give you better towing mileage, but probably only 2-3 mpg's more, not to mention diesel fuel is more expensive too. It could end up costing you much more than the additional mpg's will offer. Grab a calculator & run some numbers to see for yourself.

cannonlakester

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/12 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love this forum, because everyone has such good input!!! Finally pulled the trigger on a different towing vehicle based not on $$$/mpg/ or gas vs diesel but on "performance." We could not get comfortable with the higher RPMs of the Denali XL under the stress of a long grade. Eventually we want to go to the far west which is going to mean lots of mountain driving. We got a used 2008 Silverado 2400 diesel. We tried several different trucks/mfgs and this was a decent ride, fairly quiet as diesels go. I am happy to have a real truck again and not a prissey luxury vehicle although I am sure the GKs will mess the DVR ~LOL~ thanks to all who responded to my April post. Travel safely!!

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/12 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

ata3001 wrote:

If you are buying new, the difference in what your current vehicle is worth vs what a new one will cost might buy you a whole lotta gas, plus the newer diesels will give you better towing mileage, but probably only 2-3 mpg's more, not to mention diesel fuel is more expensive too. It could end up costing you much more than the additional mpg's will offer. Grab a calculator & run some numbers to see for yourself.

x2. It reminds me of when people go spend $10,000 on a small car for commuting because their truck gets 17-18mpg and the new car gets 30mpg. 15,000 mi's a year would take apr 7 yrs to cover the cost. Have you thought about your daily driving habits and would a diesel work? And how much do you tow? I'd run the nubers through a calculator.

Gees I agree, grab the calculator and start knocking around on it. I reaily don't care if someone with a smoker and a drain pipe for an exhausgt pipe blows smoke in my ear on a long mountain grade.

That stuff about modern day gassers being short on power for towing is, in my opinion, urban legend.

Engineer9860

Eagle Scout dad

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/12 11:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@ OP

Congrats on the new TV.

Enjoy.

In Memoriam: Liberty Belle

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Looking for a different towing vehicle...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS