|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Class C or class A

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
MURPHY55347

Savage, MINNESOTA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/12 06:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK here is my dilemma. We currently have an Itasca Cambria abot 30' long and 10.5' high. The types of campgrounds we prefer are mostly State Parks and County campgrounds and not the resort type parks. We are looking to upgrade and I am not sure if we should stick with a new class C at 32' long and 11.5' high or a class A gasser that is 35' long and 12.5 high. I am concerned that the A is just a little too big for these types of parks as we do not see too many of these where we typically go. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/12 07:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

At 30 feet you are pushing the limits of government campgrounds that were mostly designed for travel trailers in the 1950ties. In today's economic climate they are most unlikely to upgrade.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, Magnum 3000 watt PSW inverter.

MaverickBBD

Formerly of Bellingham, Wahington, U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/12 07:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If fit of the larger rig is your major concern, then stick with the "C". I have had both and enjoyed my "C". Ride and heavier suspension were my consideration for going with a dp A.

Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix)
'05 Winnebago Journey 36G w/Cat. C-7 350 hp Freightliner XC
AFE air filter, aero turbine muffler, 4 FSD Konis, ultra track bell crank and Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 397030
WIT 129107

jvander

Indianapolis

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/12 07:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on your RVing style too. If you drive long distances then the A is the clear winner. I wouldn't be too concerned about a length difference of only 3' and height difference of 1'. Either rig will get into the same campgrounds just fine. Pick the floor plan that you like better.

1993 Coachmen Catalina 31'
For Sale! $10k, PM me for details

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/12 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a link to every State and National park in the country. Reserve America Check out the parks that you think you may ever go to and it will tell you what size rig will fit on the various RV sites. Most parks can accommodate up to 36 feet but they may only have a few sites that large, which may make it difficult to find one that meets your schedule.

rr2254545

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/12 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

35 or 36 feet will not be a problem we have stayed at 31 state/city/federal parks since July 2009

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited, Air Force One
183 Campgrounds in the past 5 years

willald

NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/12 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

..While I can definitely understand you wanting to stay with the 'C' so you can get into the smaller state parks, my vote is still for the Class A.

Reason being: As we learned on our first trip with ours last week, in addition to how much nicer it is when traveling...Those huge windows and windshield in the front of a Class A are really, REALLY nice when parked as well! Turn the front chairs around, and you now have a comfortable, huge living room with the windshield and side windows making for an incredible view around your campsite, and a really nice 'picture' window up front! You don't get that with a Class C.

I too like to camp at a lot of the smaller state parks. We've not had a problem with such with the 34' TT we camped in up until recently, and don't anticipate any problems with the 36' Class A we have now. It IS true that the bigger/longer a rig gets, the less places you can fit in, and you eventually cannot get in some state parks at all if you get too big. However, IMO if you stay around 35 to 36' max, you can get into most state parks with some careful planning. I've seen rigs that size in all the state parks we go to, and they get around OK. Now, some of those parks, I have NOT seen anything larger than that, which is one of the reasons we have no use or desire for one of the massive 40' DP MHs so many people love.

I say go with the Class A. You'll love the stronger chassis, larger windows up front, nicer ride, more storage space, etc.

Will & Angela
2 children that love camping, Stephen & Allison
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
Our Rig

zman-az

Northern AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/12 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We looked at both last year. One thing I like about the Class A is you can use the front chairs as part of your floor layout, with a Class C you have wasted space with the cab (yet you do gain a bed above). Becasue of this you can get a shorter class A with the same amount of room as a class C (except for that extra bed above the class C cab). So if you don't need the extra bed I would start leaning towards the class A. Also the shorter class A will have a shorter wheelbase to help make those tight turns. I have a 26' Class A and I can do a right hand turn into a 4 lane road and not have to use the left lane. Look at the new 30' plan winnie came out with this year, more room than what I have yet still small for a class A.

RVGRINGO

Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/12 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

and.....spring for a diesel pusher, if you can.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/12 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

Here is a link to every State and National park in the country. Reserve America Check out the parks that you think you may ever go to and it will tell you what size rig will fit on the various RV sites. Most parks can accommodate up to 36 feet but they may only have a few sites that large, which may make it difficult to find one that meets your schedule.

Sorry, Reserve America doesn't have EVERY campground in the country. LOTS of them, yes, but nowhere near close to "every" one.

As for the size question, I have seen some very large Class As in Forest Service campgrounds here in Montana. It is not unusual for there to be only one or two sites that will easily accommodate a large unit, and they are always "first come, first served" sites. At the present time, at least. The road to many of these campground is even paved!
Keep in mind that there ARE Class As in the 28 to 32 foot range. They aren't common, but they are out there. Some are gas, some are DPs.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Class C or class A
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes