|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> rear electrical outlet

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
koda55

Jacksonville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/12 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2005 Georgie boy Landau on a f53 2004 chassis. The electrical outlet for the rear tv and the one under it on the wall that I use for the clock do not work. All the other 120 volt work in the motorhome. I reset all the 120 fuses and it did not help. I popped and reset the GFI outlet in the bathroom and it did no good.
Any ideas on what to try next. I have the owners manual but it really doesn't help.

tahiti16

Camarillo, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/12 06:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check circuit breakers for your inverter. The inverter will switch itself out of the circuit when shore power is applied but it still uses the c/b to protect the circuit.

Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

RayChez

Barstow, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/12 06:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take the cover off the outlet and check to see if you have power on the wires to the outlet. Maybe it is just a bad outlet.

2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2013 Honda CR-V EX
Aventa II
FMCA member

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/12 07:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IF none of the above: Use a tester to find all dead plugs. ALL including lockers, block heaters, HW, refer, etc. Open each plug and check for voltage and hopefully you'll find a loose connection. It's also possible that the loose connection is on the output side of a working plug.

A wire tracer can also be a big help. Pull the power plug and both negative battery cables so that there can be no inverter or gen power. Connect the wire tracer to one of the plugs and trace the entire circuit. Pull any cords that are plugged in. This will lead you from a dead plug (identified above) to a live plug or CB and the problem is at or between the two. Keep a record of how the circuit is wired for future reference.

If you don't know about AC safety then hire someone to find the problem.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/12 06:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you might have another GFI somewhere...maybe in a compartment? we've got three in our MH.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/12 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get your self one of the circuit testers that plug into the outlet. Sere what is wrong, it could be a defective connection in the previous receptacle.
tester
Some Harbor Freight have less expensive models.
It could also be the GFCI feed thru feature is bad.

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

donsuefuggrwe

myrtle point ,or 97458

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/12 09:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had it happen today when I plugged the vacuum cleaner into a ground fault protector. Tripped the ground fault and would not reset. Third time this has happened. Go to your inverter and find the phone type connector to your furnace control in the coach. Might be two of the phone plugs. Might have one or two of the voltage breakers on the inverter tripped. Reset the breakers and pull one of the phone plugs out. Then trip the two breakers back and forth on and off a few times. Put phone plug back in and go back into coach and reset ground fault. If it doesn't reset, back to the inverter and repeat process pulling the other phone plug. Back inside and reset ground fault. Mine resets with this procedure. Don't know why but was told this by factory inverter tech support years ago. Good luck, let me know if it works.

RayChez

Barstow, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/12 11:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You probably have a GFCI outlet that tripped. There is one in the bathroom and two usually in the kitchen area, Press the reset button and see what happens. If not then check your AC circuit breakers to see if they are not tripped. Usually in the bedroom around the bed box.

koda55

Jacksonville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/12 06:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for all the great info. I finally found an electrical box in my cable bay. After opening I found wires that had come out of the wire nut. Who ever wired the coach cut the wires to short and had pressure on the wires and they pulled apart. After moving the box and connecting the wires and using the socket tester everything works as advertised.

CaliTexican

California

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/12 10:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello all, I am new to RVing, I also have no power to the back outlets. I have been unable to locate the breaker box referred here with phone jack type plugs. Where is this located, I own a 2004 Landau.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> rear electrical outlet
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS