|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> fiver frames

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
pressure_welder

brandon

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/12 11:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timothy wrote:

pressure_welder wrote:

Just curious as to weather any of you fellas know who made/makes Gulf stream frames? In particular we have a 2004 27' conquest. Its an 8" Ibeam frame with angle iron cross bracing. It looks sound in my opinion, hopefully she is as i am about to weld on my custom reciever hitch i built to pull our 3500lb boat. I realize weight reduction is attractive for RV manfacturers, but being a welder i know the importance of not skimping on dynamically loaded structures. In my opinion the IBEAM on these trailers should be a minimum of a 1/4" web, and a minimum of 1/4" angle iron cross bracing. So what if she weights an extra 3 to 500lbs in the grand scheme of things. These cracking lippert frames are a great example of a material reaching its max fatigue life due to it being over stressed, OR they use a seriously low grade of carbon steel with alot of carbon hot spots. lol my hitch i am installing will only strength the entire camper frame which is sad really.

Your frame was made by Venture. I thinkg Venture was bought up by Lippert too. Newer Gulf Streams have Lippert frames.

should i be concenered with this frame?

2012 Duramax Denali Dually
2003 Triple E topaz 29' luxury touring edition.
1850 crestliner sportfish w/ 150 optimax

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/12 01:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WyoTraveler wrote:

You made my point exactly by mentioning Alpenlite. I owned a 2001 Alpenlite 32RL 5Ver. Very well built. Excellent RV. Very few problems. I would buy another one any day. BTW, since Alpenlite built such a great RV why aren't they in business today? Too much quality in this throw away world. Everyone is looking for the cheapest deal they can get. It was difficult for them to make a profit. They cheapened up their product to make a profit, had some major problems, and Alpenlite is no more.

Maybe the alpenlite brand was sold and the new owners switched to Lippert frames and raised the prices and the bank shut them down because of not Paying their bills. I was at the factory just before it was closed. Looked like they had business but not geared for a smart build from what I saw. Two many different rv models being built at the same time. MH, camper and fifthwheels on the same assembly line is not smart.
chevman

chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank
Garmin 2720
scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors

lrash

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/12 04:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK I am stupid but where would one look to see who manufactured a frame?? I have a Montana.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/12 05:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lrash wrote:

OK I am stupid but where would one look to see who manufactured a frame?? I have a Montana.

The builder plate is on the the permanent part of the pin box on my Komfort. Zieman frame.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2004 Komfort 25FSG Fifth Wheel
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 55 Year Member

bailer6334

Prescott, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/12 04:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe Montana frames are made by Lippert. Have seen several owners report frame problems on here. I suggest you contact the factory to confirm frame supplier.

2011 Arctic Fox 29-5T 5th Wheel
2011 Silverado HD 3500 6.6L Duramax Diesel Crew Cab
Short Bed 4X4 SRW LT
50gal Transfer Flow Aux. Tank
16K Valley Hitch w/bed saver

pressure_welder

brandon

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/12 01:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Id have to say from a high pressure welder stand point my parents 2005 triplEE topaz is by far the most stout frame ive seen, overall quality is outstanding.

Timothy

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/12 07:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pressure_welder wrote:

Timothy wrote:

pressure_welder wrote:

Just curious as to weather any of you fellas know who made/makes Gulf stream frames? In particular we have a 2004 27' conquest. Its an 8" Ibeam frame with angle iron cross bracing. It looks sound in my opinion, hopefully she is as i am about to weld on my custom reciever hitch i built to pull our 3500lb boat. I realize weight reduction is attractive for RV manfacturers, but being a welder i know the importance of not skimping on dynamically loaded structures. In my opinion the IBEAM on these trailers should be a minimum of a 1/4" web, and a minimum of 1/4" angle iron cross bracing. So what if she weights an extra 3 to 500lbs in the grand scheme of things. These cracking lippert frames are a great example of a material reaching its max fatigue life due to it being over stressed, OR they use a seriously low grade of carbon steel with alot of carbon hot spots. lol my hitch i am installing will only strength the entire camper frame which is sad really.

Your frame was made by Venture. I thinkg Venture was bought up by Lippert too. Newer Gulf Streams have Lippert frames.

should i be concenered with this frame?

I would say no, I never heard of any problems with Venture.

Tim & Cindy
2010 Canyon Trail 35FLFT
2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
8.1 Allison
www.gsowners.com

bradyk

Calgary, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/12 06:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Zieman is Lippert as well.

2001 Chevrolet 2500hd Silverado LT 4x4 6.0L/4.10
2005 KZ Outdoorsmen 2605PF
Champion 4000W Generator
Champion 2000W Generator
Ken & Sandra
Yugi Dog, Jet Dog
16 Foot Renken Fishing boat

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/12 01:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pressure_welder wrote:

I went and took a closer look at the campers in the shop, My gulf stream conquest, and my parents triplee topaz had "lippert" stickers on the pin box. Although mine also had a "fabex" 15,000lbs sticker on it also. It really is disgusting how stupidly light these frames are built. I beleive ill be doing some reiforcing of my own after i finish installing the reciever for the boat. Id love to lift the whole camper off the frame, ditch the stupid 8" ibeam and replace it with 2" x 6" x 1/4" wall structural tubing. I sure hope this frame dosent disintigrate on me!
If I were wanting a big fifth wheel RV trailer, I would be looking at commercial gooseneck enclosed cargo trailers, which have much heavier built frames, with real structural i-beams, not the ultra thin fabricated i-beams the RV industry uses, and build out the inside of it into an RV....

Another way to go would be to buy a used commercial semi trailer, a super insulated 'reefer' model, which already has an awesome air conditioner mounted on the front of it, and build that into an RV...

Either way, at least you know the thing isn't going to fall apart!

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

pressure_welder

brandon

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/12 09:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went and took a closer look at the campers in the shop, My gulf stream conquest, and my parents triplee topaz had "lippert" stickers on the pin box. Although mine also had a "fabex" 15,000lbs sticker on it also. It really is disgusting how stupidly light these frames are built. I beleive ill be doing some reiforcing of my own after i finish installing the reciever for the boat. Id love to lift the whole camper off the frame, ditch the stupid 8" ibeam and replace it with 2" x 6" x 1/4" wall structural tubing. I sure hope this frame dosent disintigrate on me!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> fiver frames
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS