|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> slide roller replacement

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Ole B

Wilson,Wi/USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/12 09:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2007 Newmar Kountry Star. The roller under the kitchen slide behind the drivers seat has the small ball bearings coming out. What is the procedure for replacing the roller?

fuzzyface

Algonac, Michigan, U S A

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/12 04:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have done this (replaced carpet with laminate, had to put in smaller rollers). Put a 2 X 4 on top of the outside of the slide, against the side of the motorhome; bring the slide in -- this will tilt the slide when it hits the 2 X 4, allowing access to the rollers on the bottom of the slide. You'll have to buy or fabricate a short screw driver to get at the 4 screws holding the roller in, but with patientce, it is doable. A mirror is helpful in seeing the screws and rollers.

Good Luck

Mike

Linda and Mike Kruzin' in a Kountry Star

farmer_boots

Weirsdale, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/12 04:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had A HitchHicker 5th wheel with roller problem. I placed a jack under the slide out next to where the roller carrieds the load and picked up the load just enough to service the roller. I also use a block of wood between the slide and jack to displace the wight across the surface.

Good Luck.

2006 Monaco Diplomat

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/12 11:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fuzzyface wrote:

I have done this (replaced carpet with laminate, had to put in smaller rollers). Put a 2 X 4 on top of the outside of the slide, against the side of the motorhome; bring the slide in -- this will tilt the slide when it hits the 2 X 4, allowing access to the rollers on the bottom of the slide. You'll have to buy or fabricate a short screw driver to get at the 4 screws holding the roller in, but with patientce, it is doable. A mirror is helpful in seeing the screws and rollers.

Good Luck

Mike

Well, you did it the HARD way. Newmar Rollers are spring loaded on the ends. You extend the room a few inches and then tilt the room outward by hand and install a couple of 2x4 blocks under the room to hold it up. This allows the roller in question to raise above the floor about 3/4 to 1 inch. I use a cotter key puller screwdriver to push the end pin (6 sided pin) thru the roller to release from one end of the 2 brackets and once one end is out, you pull the roller out of the other bracket. Once you get the new roller, you will see how it is spring loaded. You NEVER have to remove the mount brackets to replace a Newmar slide room roller. You Kitchen slide will not have as much tilt/left as the level room slide, but you will be able to get it up enough to do the job. Doug

fuzzyface

Algonac, Michigan, U S A

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/12 12:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unfortunately, the smaller diameter rollers were longer than the larger diameter rollers. I not only had to remove the brackets, but had to chisel out the recess to allow the mounting of the slightly longer smaller diameter rollers. The 2 X 4 on top of the exterior of the slide method for tilting the slide up to allow access worked very well, and this was the point that I was trying to help the OP with.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/12 03:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fuzzyface wrote:

Unfortunately, the smaller diameter rollers were longer than the larger diameter rollers. I not only had to remove the brackets, but had to chisel out the recess to allow the mounting of the slightly longer smaller diameter rollers. The 2 X 4 on top of the exterior of the slide method for tilting the slide up to allow access worked very well, and this was the point that I was trying to help the OP with.

The fact is, you were Modifying your slide roller system, not just replacing a roller. Newmar rollers are spring loaded for easy replacement, plain and simple. Doug

Ole B

Wilson,Wi/USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/12 07:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys for the information. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Dougrainer: how did you lift the slide when it was halfway out? Can you use a crow bar on a 2x4 or what, I could not lift mine.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> slide roller replacement
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS