|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Winnebago Factory Defect

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
JTHarley

Northeast, Michigan, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/12 10:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Winnebago took my receipt of inspection from the dealer as proof after the warranty period ran out. I keep a maintenance file in the coach with everything done.

Jim , MJ & Spirit of Sambuca Bear
2005 Prevost Royale XLII
Jeep Sahara Toad

nbargolf

St Augustine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/12 12:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

I got a kick out of reading some of the responses, especially from Winny owners.........."all you have to do is inspect the roof every SIX months and reseal as necessary". This is not like an oil change or tire pressure check. This requires having a professional inspect your roof every SIX months. I know, I know, EVERY Winny owner out there is an EXPERT and can certainly look at their Winny roof, and immediately determine whether everything is fine with their roof adhesive or not(not sure how an owner can prove that he did, in fact, inspect the roof, and that he knew exactly what he was looking for). Those that do not have the factory knowledge necessary to do a thorough inspection can go to the Winnebago dealer that is right on the corner. I also wonder how many people went through the Winnebago owner's manual and read about all of the REQUIRED maintenance items PRIOR to purchase.
To me this just proves that some people just do not mind a little bit of bird poop on their head, on a regular basis, and that they accept the that this is "normal".
Any new coach that requires an adhesive inspection every six months to keep the roof on your coach, and to maintain your warranty, is not building a quality product, in my opinion. This is not the same as a window or door leak.

Really, them I guess all the TPO and rubber roof RV are******since you have to redo them every 5-10 years. For me inspecting it is much easier then redoing it but that's just me i guess.

rr2254545

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/12 12:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

I got a kick out of reading some of the responses, especially from Winny owners.........."all you have to do is inspect the roof every SIX months and reseal as necessary". This is not like an oil change or tire pressure check. This requires having a professional inspect your roof every SIX months. I know, I know, EVERY Winny owner out there is an EXPERT and can certainly look at their Winny roof, and immediately determine whether everything is fine with their roof adhesive or not(not sure how an owner can prove that he did, in fact, inspect the roof, and that he knew exactly what he was looking for). Those that do not have the factory knowledge necessary to do a thorough inspection can go to the Winnebago dealer that is right on the corner. I also wonder how many people went through the Winnebago owner's manual and read about all of the REQUIRED maintenance items PRIOR to purchase.
To me this just proves that some people just do not mind a little bit of bird poop on their head, on a regular basis, and that they accept the that this is "normal".
Any new coach that requires an adhesive inspection every six months to keep the roof on your coach, and to maintain your warranty, is not building a quality product, in my opinion. This is not the same as a window or door leak.

Comments totally off base, do you just hate Winnebago or just owners like me?

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
158 Campgrounds since we retired in 2009

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/12 01:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rr2254545 wrote:

rgatijnet1 wrote:

Comments totally off base, do you just hate Winnebago or just owners like me?

If you are happy with the Winnebago warranty and roof requirements, that's fine. I chose not to own one myself.

MeanderMan

Fulltiming Somewhere

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/12 03:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"If this happens while the motorcoach is in motion at 55 MPH a piece could fly off and cause possible injury or death to someone following"
Yeah, and if you don't check your A/C shroud it could come off too.....or the dish, or the antennae, etc. I've never heard of an entire roof or a part of the roof separating from the roof itself and flying off, and I doubt it could happen. I'm not a fan of the Winnebago roof design (I sealed mine with Eternabond), but after seven other brands of RVs, I'm quite happy in my Itasca motor home, and I've lived in it 24/7. There isn't a motorhome out there that doesn't have some type of problem, but it's nonsense to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

USAF CMSgt (Retired)
Happily Fulltiming Somewhere
2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
2013 Honda CRV
Our RV Blog

AMZBRADY

Ocean Shores

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/12 08:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I talked with Rod from Winnebago, he says that you must inspect the sealant every 6 months. Rod said the fiberglass came loose due to a lack of maintenance on my part and not inspecting it often enough. There was never any sealant installed at the J rail, and a sealant is not an adhesive. I go out and maintained my motorhome all year while in storage even though we didnt get to use it last year. Until the roof pops loose like mine did, you can not inspect the adhesive that holds the fiberglass down. Rod in Winnebago customer relations admitted that the adhesive fails after about 10 years, and they still install roofs the same way on the new models. My roof fiberglass came out of the J rail rail the full length of my coach from the front cap to the rear cap, it flipped up over 12 inches. It could easily crack off and fly off while going down the road. Winnebago needs a more permanent solution. I love my winne except for the roof. I sold my 88 superchief because the rear leaked so bad. I one piece fiberglass cap would be awesome.

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/12 06:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MeanderMan wrote:

I've never heard of an entire roof or a part of the roof separating from the roof itself and flying off, and I doubt it could happen.

It can happen, and does.

Example

Second time posted

Happened while parked

Another

One more...

How about some pictures?

Yep...it happens.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

azpete

paulden

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/12 07:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

this is a reminder to all rv owners. you dont need a hobby when you own a rv. there is already adequate opportunity for investment of your time and ALL your money. you can bet that every manufacturer has roof care and inspection covered
in their warranty explanation. the issue of roof problems have existed since the advent of rv's.
i also have had the issue with the j rail and fiberglass roof skin. had to reinstall it and reseal it. not a lot of work if caught in time.
active inspection and maintainance are the key.
you can bet winnebago has handled this issue in the past, and the owner is responsible. not a legal opinion

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/12 09:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thought of your post when I ran across this. Here is the quote if you don't want to follow the link -

"I first became acquainted with EternaBond® tape after I discovered that the side seams on the fiberglass roof of my new 1999 Winnebago roof would need constant checking and re-caulking to avoid the roof from popping out of the "J" channel. Unchecked, many RVers experienced major roof problems as large chunks of their roofs were caught by the wind and ripped off. I was determined to find a permanent solution for this major problem. After reading the manufacturers claims, I applied EternaBond® tape to both roof side seams as well as the front and rear roof caps. The tape was applied right over the old caulked seams. Almost eight years later the tape is still in place and doing the job. I haven't had any leaks or other roof issues and haven't caulked anything topside. It truly is a miracle product. Thanks EternaBond®."

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

dogvetia

moville iowa usa

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/12 09:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a new 1999 winne adventurer that lost a strip 18 inches wide and about 20 feet long on the passenger side in a thunderstorm in montana when it was 8 months old. At the time winne did stand up and repaired both sides by removing the strips (18 inch wide) on both sides and installing a wider piece and seamed them about 18 inches in from the sides. It was explained to me that from about 99-2000 or so the roofs were cut a little too narrow and hence would come up out of the J rail. I do not know if this was the problem or not but it was too new to have an adhesive failure and the too narrow roof made sense to me. currently have a 03 journey and have had no issures with the roof. fwiw tom

2004 Journey
2006 jeep commander
DW, 4 kids and 11 grandkids to camp with!!!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Winnebago Factory Defect
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS