|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> K&N Air Intake

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/12 08:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westend wrote:

I noticed an increase in power off the line and a very small increase in mileage using the K&N in a Ford F250 w/5.4. I do believe they offer more airflow to the engine than the stock filter. Maintenance is a breeze, they sell a cleaning and reoiling kit that will get you through three or so cleanings of the filter. I saved my stock filter so, when servicing the K&N, I use the stock filter while the K&N is drying from the cleaning procedure.

This is not a snake oil product like gas additives. The filters are sturdy and surpass the OEM filter in construction. I never did tally the cost differentials but I'm guessing the cost of the K&N and the cleaning kit is less than OEM filter replacement at suggested intervals.

Well said. I've been running K&N's for nearly 14 years. As noted they are easy to clean/recharge and pay for themselves in a year or two. I clean mine twice a year, about every 6000 miles. The Dyno test show the 5.4L picking up 16 additional HP though you have to get to almost 4400 rpm to see all 16.

mnaquaman

Farmington, MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/12 08:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is what I know after 30 years in the filtration business.

The K&N filter will give you slightly more air flow and with more air flow slightly more horsepower. However it does this buy providing less filtration efficiency. Like anything in life you have to make choices. K&N choices air flow over efficiency. I chose efficiency, the small amount of horsepower or mpg increase is not worth the risk. The efficiency may only be 1 to 2% at the most but what that really means is that over twice the amount of dust got into my engine.
What you have to look at is how much dust passes through the filter not how much dust the filter collects.

You won't find a K&N filter on any of my vehicles.

Randy, Sharon & Bryce Engelland
Farmington, MN
2005 Jayco 21J
2004 Chevy Avalanche

wmoses

Houston, Texas, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/12 09:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OBX-GL wrote:

I have recently been doing some mods and research in this department. The benefits are really specific to each trucks stock set-up. Generally 10 hp/tq or less. Where these products become relevant and greater rewards can be reaped is when accompanied with mods on the exhaust side,as a part of a bigger mod they are more useful.

Really my conclusion was unless you are a gear head and work on your truck as a hobby or related parts need replacing your better off replacing the tow vehicle if you need more pep as the $ to power gains were not impressive. lets say in my case $2000 parts and labor to gain 60 hp/Tq.

Best mod bang for the buck would be a QUALITY performance chip. There are a lot of chips out there that claim a lot but do nothing. Super Chip or Predator seem to be the goodies and for $350 will offer flashes to your computer to increase mileage,Tq in a towing mode, or performance,then can reset back to stock when needed. Again gains are specific to your truck and its setup.

The K&N air filter is handy though.Increases your air flow some and is reusable.

I agree with this opinion 100%. I have installed the K&N panel filters in all my vehicles in the past 10 years or so with no adverse effects.

Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

chevor

US/Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/12 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had one in my truck for over 270,000 miles with no problems. It gives better throttle response. not sure about overall fuel economy.

2010 Gmc 2500 CCSB Duramax,1ton rear springs, 90g box tank, 0ver 653,000 Odometer miles, 20k Curt fifth wheel, 18k Curt rear mount hitch,Bridgestone Duravis R500s Rancho 9000 Shocks, Firestone Airbags, bypass oil filter
13 Chevy LT CC DRW w/ 9' flatbed

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/12 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gasser...maybe
Diesel...Never!

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

christopherglenn

Near Yosemite

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/12 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my old Xterra, it gave me Slightly more power - at the readline. And LOTS more intake noise all the time. Up kirker pass empty, I picked up about 3 mph.

2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

ib516

At the gas station feeding the HEMI :)

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/12 11:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They allow more dust through, I can tell you that. Independent tests show they add zero hp to an otherwise stock truck.

PROOF

2010 Cougar 322QBS 5er
Prev:
01 Dodge 2500 360 gas, 4.10
02 Dodge 2500 5.9L Cummins, 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 SRW Mega 5.9L Cummins, 3.73
Current:
2014 RAM 2500, 6.4L Hemi, 4.10, auto

10000# GVWR, 5500# FGAWR, 6500# RGAWR, 3040# payload, 15470# tow rating, 22500# GCWR

jassms98

inland empire

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/12 11:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had one on 2006 f150 5.4 with no issues. Was installed in conjuction with 3in catback exhaust and hypertech power programmer.
That truck was fast and really came alive after the install. just installing cold air intake or direct replacement will not show much improvement.
My 2011 F150 4x4 6.2 was at K/N for dyno testing to get stock numbers. 348 hp and 368 Ft Tq at wheels stock.
They did a mock up of the new cold air intake kit for that truck and will have numbers for the truck when the production part is installed and dyno.
IMO i like the results i got from having one and will install one on my new truck. Work on a fleet with several installed and have not found any extra dirt in intake tube on thottle plate. Just like anything it all about how u service it. Joe

2011 F150 4x4 6.2 Platinum
2012 ViewFinder 28BHSS
Equal i zer WDH

tdeal823

N.W. Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/12 12:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I my opinion any oil saturated filter is a bad thing. K&N as a brand is an expensive hype filter. Go to your local napa and just replace the filter with a new one.

On a Dyno with a Duramax diesel just replacing the filter or even a cold air unit netted very little gains. The stock filter on a Dmax is good for at least 500 wheel HP. I think the "Cold Air Intake" units act as a placebo effect to your brain. Most remove resonators and reflectors which give you a air wooshing sound. makes you "feel" like you are getting more.

2008 Silverado 2500HD DMax LTZ cc sb 4x4 EFILive tuned, Blocked, Deleted, Rerouted and removed B&W Turnover ball and 5th Companion
02 F250 4x4 Auto Ex LWB SRW 7.3L B&W, RideRite, 5"exhaust. TW6 chip. 195k
2011 Sabre 32BHOK-6

catdaddyxx

Dumas, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/12 12:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ran them for 200,000 miles in my last truck and 100,000 miles in the current truck. No real performance gains. I've saved a bundle in filter costs.
Like anything it on a vehicle, it has to be maintained and maintained correctly.
Clean and oil it regularly and correctly. If you foul you MAF you oiled it wrong (user error).

2010 29' Jayco, Jay Flight 26BH First real camper
1960 Montgomery Ward popup with slide out galley.(Restored in 2010)
2004 Ford, F150 4x4 lariat 5.4L V8, 3.73 gears, pipes, FIPK, tuner.
Many many mods to the truck

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> K&N Air Intake
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS