|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Nova Scotia from Michigan

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
tjschaefer

Jackson, Michigan, Jackson

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/12 05:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I prefer to stay in the US going up there. Mapquest shows going across Ohio and New York on US88 and US86 by Albany, then down towards Boston and back up the coast to Maine. Anybody been on 88 and 86 freeways?

smildrum

Durham,Maine

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/12 05:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're going towards Albany pick up 90 and go east to 290,taking 290 to 495,which will put you onto 95 on the Mass/NH border.

tjschaefer

Jackson, Michigan, Jackson

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/12 06:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone gone cross country from Albany to East coast to head North to Nova Scotia? I really hate to go south towards Boston then swing all the way back up to the north to get to Maine. I realize there aren't any Freeways across there, just makes sense to me to go as the crow flies.

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/12 06:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I-88 was fine, last June.

Tom

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/12 06:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New England is small. You wold not save much distance taking secondary roads east from Albany and it would probably save you any time in an RV.

Tom

smildrum

Durham,Maine

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/12 06:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drive Albany to Maine 3-4 times a year.I live 1 1/2 hours into Maine and it takes me about 5 hours.Rte 90 is not a secondary road.90 heading east from Albany turns into the Mass Pike.If you look at the map,90-290-495-95 takes you east and then northeast across New England,avoiding Boston and they are all 4 and in most cases 6 lane roads.
Follow 95 north to Bangor,Maine and then Rte 9 east to Calais/St.Stephen(border crossing)and you're on Rte 1 in New Brunswick.And 1 in Brunswick is a pretty nice road-better than it is in Maine above Machias.

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/12 08:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smildrum wrote:

I drive Albany to Maine 3-4 times a year.I live 1 1/2 hours into Maine and it takes me about 5 hours.Rte 90 is not a secondary road.90 heading east from Albany turns into the Mass Pike.If you look at the map,90-290-495-95 takes you east and then northeast across New England,avoiding Boston and they are all 4 and in most cases 6 lane roads.
Follow 95 north to Bangor,Maine and then Rte 9 east to Calais/St.Stephen(border crossing)and you're on Rte 1 in New Brunswick.And 1 in Brunswick is a pretty nice road-better than it is in Maine above Machias.

I think you misunderstood tjschaefer original post and my second response.

He is taking I-88 toward Albany. It ends as it joins I-90 near Schenectady. From there he is taking the route you suggest, more or less. ...then down towards Boston and back up the coast to Maine. The only question he asked in his original post was, Anybody been on 88 and 86 freeways? I answered what I could about I-88.

In his second post, he asked, Has anyone gone cross country from Albany to East coast.. That is, he is investigating taking a route other than I-90. My second response was to the effect that he would be better off staying with the I-90 route. I certainly had no intention of suggesting I-90 was a secondary road.

Tom

63-Coupe

Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/12 08:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not really answering your initial question but just a couple of notes on the trip;

Fuelling opportunities were rather sparse between Bangor and Calais when I used that route a couple of years ago. Not a real long stretch, but don't leave yourself short before leaving the Bangor area. Also,fuel up in Calais before crossing the border to take advantage of the lower price in the U.S.

If it is the right season, once you are eastbound on Hwy. 1 in New Brunswick watch for a small blue roadside blueberry stand on your left just east of Exit 60. Blueberries by the box, fresh pies, ice cream sundaes, jams, etc, etc. We always make a point of stocking up there.

FC

Tavistock,Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/12 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have driven the route almost every different route possible, so thought you might want to go through Canada in one direction and back through the US in the other. You will pay a bit more for gas, but you will get to see a lot more new territory and not use the same route twice??
JM2CW

2003 Georgetown 346DS Ford F-53
2008 Pontiac G6 Toad, Blue Ox Aventa LX
Family Campers & RVers--- Come Camp With Us
www.fcrv.org

eye8Ubutler

Maritime Provinces

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/12 10:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tjschaefer wrote:

I prefer to stay in the US going up there. Mapquest shows going across Ohio and New York on US88 and US86 by Albany, then down towards Boston and back up the coast to Maine. Anybody been on 88 and 86 freeways?

Stay in the US, when you enter ME from NY one can still find very acceptable west to east routing across ME thru to Bangor then upto Calais for the entry to Canada.

Although there are no interstates to make use of, the journey is fine and hills are few.

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 2007 (new shape)
4x4 Crew Cab VORTEC MAX (L76) 6.0L V8 4L70E 4.10 axle
factory NHT Max Trailering Package.
2010 Coachmen Freedom Express 280 RLS

"...a Waldorf Salad?, sorry we are fresh out of Waldorfs!".......BASIL FAWLTY.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Nova Scotia from Michigan
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS