RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Questions about Trailer Converter and possible swap

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Questions about Trailer Converter and possible swap

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
a_kraker99

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/12 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take it easy on me here, I do not know much about electrcal components in RV's. I just realized that I only have a converter with battery charger and no inverter. To be exact I have a MagneTek 6332.
It seems to work pretty good but I am wondering if it is possible to swap for a unit that has an inverter and maybe a little better charger. Is that possible, and if so is it an easy swap?
Can someone recommend a decent unit that will get the job done for as cheap as possible?

Another question. If I decide to just keep what I have is there a need to have a fuse wired in the positive battery connection? I was just cleaning up some connections and noticed the fuse up by the battery that looked like it had been installed later on with some wire nuts. If I need it how many amps should the fuse be?

BurbMan

Louisville, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/12 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just replaced mine with a Progressive Dynamics model that is a drop-in replacement for the old WFCO I had. I believe that PD makes a direct replacement for Magnetek also. Talk to Randy at Best Converter, he's an expert on RV electric. The PD converter has 4-stage charging and enables much better battery life and faster charging when boondocking. Be sure to match the unit size with the size you have now (ie 40A, 55A, etc.)so you don't overload the wiring.

I'm not aware of one with an inverter built in, but I added one with a small 15A transfer switch by the fuse panel. So I can power a whole circuit with the inverted when then on battery power, so I can watch TV, use the computer, etc.

The fuse by the batter is for the charging circuit, it's typically 30A.

Also consider posting more questions on this over in Tech Issues, a lot of guys that really know electricity there.

yankee camper

Rhode Island

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/12 04:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just replaced the same exact converter with a Power Dynamics 4645 converter and could not be happier.I originally went with a WFCO conveter but that was junk that never went into boost mode right out of the box. I also upgraded my wiring to 4 AGW. to help with the upgrade.

beemerphile1

I'm 58, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/12 07:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not familiar with your converter but don't think it is one of the better ones. Preferably you want what is called a three stage smart converter/charger. Check the manual for your converter.

Installing a separate inverter for whatever you want to operate is probably more cost effective. Inverter/chargers are expensive.

Any and all hot leads from the battery should be fused near the battery. The purpose is to protect the wiring. Fuses are based on the wire size, for a rule of thumb;
12 gauge = 20 amp
10 gauge = 30 amp
8 gauge = 40 amp
There is no advantage to have a fuse substantially larger than the converter output no matter what gauge wire you have.

The one exception is that the lead to the break-a-way switch is often not fused but it is generally a very short run of wire.

A poor man seeks riches, a rich man seeks power, but a wise man seeks contentment.

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Questions about Trailer Converter and possible swap
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS