|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
L2C

Placentia ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/12 07:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Planning a long trip this summer. Is it ok to run the roof Ac while driving for long periods? Traveling to east coast with a family of 6.

Finally Fulltiming

Summer: NYS Finger Lakes; Winter: Someplace warm

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/12 07:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No problem with the A/C - problem is it runs on electricity. You'll need to run your generator to power it.

Depending on the size of your rig, the dash a/c should suffice.

joelc

Hubert, NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/12 07:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I had a motor home, I did run the A/C many times while traveling, as well as the heater in the respective seasons. Remember for A/C you need 120V (generator)

Effy

MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/12 07:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We run ours in the summer all the time while driving. Requires Gen of course. Was told a while ago that the gen running the central AC is more fuel efficient than the dash air due to the proximity of the vents cooling the coach as well power drain on the motor. I've never really noticed much of a decrease in MPG running the gen but I don't pay a lot of attention to my MPG. Ignorance is bliss.

2013 ACE 29.2

carp65

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/12 07:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dash air on our GeorgieBoy will not cool when temperatures are extreme.
Solution is to run generator and turn on roof a/c. Cools nicely and
excercises generator, too.

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/12 09:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did it last summer. Roof AC + Generator creates much more cooling effect per gallon of fuel then the dash + engine AC. Also shifts the fridge off propane save it bit more. If you are ever driving into the summer sun all the glass of the windshield creates a lot of heat for the driver. A couple of times I did run both, dash and roof.

2006 Hurricane 31D aka 'Moby' the Whale
FCC(SW) US Navy Retired 1980-2003
Stella my Navigator
Bogart the All American RV Dog
and
Cocoui waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge

jvander

Indianapolis

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/12 09:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carp65 wrote:

x2

I've heard it a lot that the gen/roof ac provides more efficient cooling than the dash ac, but that makes no sense. The main engine is already running and pushing air through the evaporator coil, so the energy losses are already 'paid for'. Adding the ac load to the main engine costs 5-10 hp, plus minor loads to the alternator and cooling system.
Running the generator adds new energy losses in converting petroleum to electricity, plus the roof ac has additional energy losses in converting electricity to mechanical energy. Plus the roof ac is not as powerful as the dash ac.

1993 Coachmen Catalina 31'
For Sale! $10k, PM me for details

Effy

MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/12 06:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jvander wrote:

carp65 wrote:

x2

I've heard it a lot that the gen/roof ac provides more efficient cooling than the dash ac, but that makes no sense. The main engine is already running and pushing air through the evaporator coil, so the energy losses are already 'paid for'. Adding the ac load to the main engine costs 5-10 hp, plus minor loads to the alternator and cooling system.
Running the generator adds new energy losses in converting petroleum to electricity, plus the roof ac has additional energy losses in converting electricity to mechanical energy. Plus the roof ac is not as powerful as the dash ac.

Man you must have one heck of a dash air system to cool the whole coach. Mine barely cools the cockpit. I can tell you with most gas engines when you turn on the AC compressor there is a definite draw on your motor. Your motor was designed to move your vehicle. The gen was designed to provide electric efficiently. And the rooftop AC unit is far more efficient at cooling a larger space than your constrained dash air. I would agree with most here that I don't see a big difference in MPG using gen or not. What I can see is a huge difference in comfort. Even in a worst case, I'd rather me and my family be comfortable than miser about a half an mpg. That's just my opinion. Last thing I want to do on a trip is fuss over numbers on an already inefficient vehicle. I want to be comfortable and have fun. I run the gen and rooftop. That's why they are there.

jpajax

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/12 06:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It was told to me by my dealer, and was stated by the manufacture of my gen. that it consumes about 1/2 gal of fuel at 1/2 capacity in a hour. You do the math, it seams that for comfort has a small price to pay. Plus the whole coach is comfortable when you arrive at your camp ground.

Mr.Mark

California/Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/12 06:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On hot days driving through the southwest, you will definitely need the roof air system. On extremely hot days and the added heat from the engine (diesel pusher), the back of the coach can get pretty warm.

Arriving to your destination with an interior that is already cool is nice. A couple of years ago driving from Southern California through the Arizona desert, the temp outside reached 114 degrees. Running the genny with all three roof airs going, we arrived in comfort.

L2C, don't hesitate to use your genny to run your air. That's what it's there for, especially, when you are traveling with motorhome full of people!

MM.

Mr.Mark
2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42.2 ft., 4 slides, 425 hp clean-air Cummins diesel (on consignment @ MotorHomes of Texas)
2013 Honda CR-V EXL, AWD, w/Nav, SMI Air Force One vacuum-assisted braking
2015 Liberty Coach (arriving soon)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS