RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Red Mas Pro and BKF on decals???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Red Mas Pro and BKF on decals???

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
azbohunter

arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/12 08:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have read many threads of happy campers using the Red Max Pro, I found that and BKF at Lowe's and am ready to get started. One question remains though, how do you treat your decals? Do you use the BKF and TSP on them same as gel coat?
I am in Phoenix AZ and it has already hit over 100 but supposed to cool off for a couple days so thought I should hit it at that point. Is application in the heat or sun a issue?
I did some searches for answers to this questions but there are so many posts of happy users, I would be here all day reading them!

2006 Dodge Quad Cab Cummins 5.9 Automatic 4x4
2002 28RKD Lakota fifth wheel
Pullrite Hitch
2006 Polaris Ranger
16'Lund w/50HP Merc tiller
A great wife who loves to travel and fish
I love to archery hunt/she joins me and cooks!

CloudDriver

New Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/12 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My post from yesterday showing results of using RMP (actually I used the ZEP equivalent).

I used the BKF and scrubbie on the decals, cautiously at first, and it did not cause any damage. The decals looked chalky before using BKF and cleaned up nicely. The first coat of the ZEP brought out a beautiful deep color to the decals.

I found that the ZEP came out streaky when applied to the side in the direct sun, so I turned the MH around so I could apply it on the shady side.

The results are amazing!

2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450

brirene

midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/12 10:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll second CloudDriver's post in total. I did mine last spring, and it still looks great. Glad to hear the ZEP is working just as well, as RMP is pretty tough to find these days.

Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion,Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

azbohunter

arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/12 10:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, that is what I was hoping to hear!

Dennis M M

Geneva, IL; Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/12 01:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be sure the decals are DRY before putting on the RMP. When we did our fiver last spring the trailer was still in the barn and cold, it was a humid day and we had a lot of condensation that we just wiped off. Later in the summer after sitting in direct sunlight the RMP started to peel, but only on the dark decals. We have been removing it (slowly, lots of elbow grease) and then reapplying.

'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'11 smart fortwo on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/12 01:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found that when washing with bar keepers friend just on green decal on the entry door and same decal going down the side bleed some green. What I learned to fix the problem is when applying red max use the cloth after it is almost ready for more product to swipe that decal going in one direction and after it drys it will not bleed anymore. The sun is bad and I just did a friends front and back with the sun hitting on rear upper area. Looked as was said above so soon a cloud hid the sun and another coat fixed the problem. Lighting makes a big difference for seeing any problems but same story using wax. I did our shower. Having the bearings done today and the tech thought it looked new and said well you keep in out of the sun. Never was inside. Go for it but work around the sun even if after dinner.
chevman PS I used a spray bottle to spray the micro cloth the 2nd time and cut the cloth in half. On ours I was applying too much and it runs very easy.

chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank
Garmin 2720
scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors

yankee camper

Rhode Island

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/12 04:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the edges of the decals are lifting try to clean the up with an Exacto knife.Then apply the RMP. I did mine last summer and the graphics look brand new and the RMP seals the edges down and keeps them from lifting.

lowfly

Argyle, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/12 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can it be applied to the front cap as well? Also,How many gallons did you use? Mine is 36'.

Grand Designs 33' Relection, Ford 2005 F350 6.0 PSD Dully w/turbo, 6 grandchildren, 3 standard poodles, a Shitzu, my best friend Maggie waiting at the rainbow bridge, a spoiled cat, and a good woman of 48 years.

CloudDriver

New Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/12 06:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 24 ft MH took less than 1/2 gallon. 3 coats on the passenger side and 4 coats for the rest. I didn't do the roof. This stuff goes a long way.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Red Mas Pro and BKF on decals???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS