|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> TOTAL CHAOS>>>>

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
lots2seeinmyrv

Cumberland, MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/12 02:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the bear II wrote:

We happened to stay for a weekend at one of our favorite RV Resorts at the same time there was a national dog show in town. Of course a lot of the show dog owners were staying in the campground. It was a constant parade of beautiful dogs by our campsite all weekend long.

The two dogs we had at the time got real excited everytime they see a dog come near our site. They tended to run to the length of the chains we hook them to and then bark at the dog. I would tell them to be quiet and they would shut up and then go lay down and wait for the next dog.

Our older dog ran out after one of the dogs that was coming towards the site. When she got to the end of the chain she kept going. The chain broke. The dog she was running towards was obviously a champion Akita just from the look of it. The dog had just been groomed and was probably being walked just before being transported to the show. I went chasing after my dog and the owner of the Akita got between his dog and mine. He kick my dog to keep her away from his. That's when I arrived, I grabbed her(my dog). I explained and showed him the chain had broken. I apologized for my dog's charge. The look the Akita owner gave, made me laugh. He literally looked down his nose at me as if I was some sort of lower class person who had overstepped his position in life. He didn't say a word, turned his head and strutted away. He actually strutted.

I felt like I was a character in one of those Little Rascal episodes who had a run in with rich folks.

The funny thing is my dog was pure bred from champion parents and had won several dog shows in the past. She was considered a perfect example of the breed standards. I just didn't have time to keep showing her.

We had a big beautiful Akita for 13 years. We kept him on a leash at our sides...not allowed to run out 6' away from us like most people do. We had dogs charge after him all the time whether they were loose or not. Our Akita never charged another dog or we made him sit until the dog passed.

My husband "dropped kicked" any dog that came after ours. I got in between our dog and another dog one 1 time, never again. I got bit by the other person's dog up my leg and it was trying to get my face, it literally tried to climb up my leg (DW) and all I could do is raise my arms up over my head to protect my face. Next time...the Akita gets a bite of the sandwich, thank goodness that never happened.

DH tried to keep our Akita away from the dog as I was being bit. If our Akita bit the other dog...it would have been bloody. Our big boy would have been to blame no matter what.

2010 Tundra TRD 4x4 Dbl Cab 5.7L V8 4.30 Max Tow 10,300 Payload 1,640 Class IV Hitch 1,030
Prodigy P2 - Blue Ox Sway Pro 10K/1K lbs
2012 Evergreen Ever-lite 29FK

fpresto

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/12 02:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GrandmaLee wrote:

Someone that would kick a dog is not a very nice person, and truly is NOT a dog lover.

While I may not meet YOUR definition of a nice person and a dog lover; I will protect my dog just as I would a child or other family member and if it takes a kick or worse so be it.

USN Retired
2007 Cedar Creek 30 RLSTS
2008 F350, DRW, V-10, B&W hitch,
Pressure Pro, JT Strongarms

chrisnpat

Lake Villa, Il.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/12 08:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Goodness people, the guy said he was sorry and felt embarrassed it happened. Of course I guess you all are so perfect nothing has ever gone wrong.

To the Op. Definitely some training is in order for your Dog, and if you don't know how or have the resources for that, maybe leaving your dog in the TT would help in a situation like that.

Not too many people are experienced with Labradoodles ( me included) but from what I understand they are pretty hyper dogs. I think I would try to contact a local trainer to get a little help with him. Good Luck.

Christine and Patrick
Dudley and Summer Time and Now Sebastian
Katie Bug and Maggie Mays at Rainbow Bridge
miss u sweet baby's.....

Code2High

One hour past Nowhere, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/12 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, I have not. That may be because I train my dogs before I take them out in public. You can do that, too. Then you can take your dog out in public and not be embarrassed. You'd be surprised how much fun it is to take a dog camping when that dog has leash manners and comes when called whether on or off the leash. Being properly socialized with other dogs is also a plus. If you aren't sure how to proceed, start with an obedience class.

Dogs that charge other dogs get kicked, period. It has nothing to do with being a a show for money or ego. It has to do with protecting animals that are dependents and that may either be injured by or injure another dog. When your dog is loose and charges another dog, you should expect people to look on you in a less than approving manner. If you have a complex about being inferior, you may tend to interpret that as being a slight to your socio-economic status. I can assure you, however, that most dog people are far less interested in how much money you have, and more interested in your level of care and concern for your dogs. A broken chain does not inspire confidence in that area.

Now I think I'm going to go beat my head against the wall until I feel better.

susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

corgi-traveler

Bakersfield, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/12 05:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the bear II wrote:

She was considered a perfect example of the breed standards.

Sorry, but no perfect example of any breed shows that level of dog aggression. You admitted that you allowed her to keep charging and barking at each dog until the chain finally broke. Not getting any sympathy here, if your dog comes charging at mine I will do whatever it takes to protect my own.

Samantha (the poster)
Tim, spouse and driver of the Corgi-Bus
Buddy, Diva, and Pippin - Pembroke Welsh Corgis

sandersmr

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/12 08:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can understand where the OP and the one with the chained dog come from. Mine have managed to slip their collars or one actually chewed through the leash. It happens. Fortunately mine are extremely friendly and social animals. Unfortunately a lot of people don't realize that and may get scared. So I really try to keep a close eye on my two.

Maggie

Sportsmen Classic 16BH
2002 F150 Supercrew 4.6 L V8

dualgwp

New Hope PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/12 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stuff happens, and lose dogs happen. Now that you know what can happen, it's a great opportunity to train so it doens't happen again.

This one is pretty easy if you will take some time to do it. Teach your boy to never, ever, ever go out a door unless asked to do so.
Keep a leash on him in the TT and make him sit at the door when you are going out. Keep him sitting (takes some patience at first) while you simply open the door, close the door, open the door, close the door.
If he masters that one, then you step out the door, in the door, out the.... you get the idea. Make him stay sitting and relaxed this whole time.
Next, you walk out door and leave it open. Should he get up (and he will) take him right back, make him sit, open door, close door.......etc.
Should you train far enough, you will eventually be able to leave the door wide open and he will just hang out and not step foot out, till asked.
I'd hate to see you leave him home because of this mistake, and or lack of training.
Just do it!
Dual

CatandJim

Tulsa, as in Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/12 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chrisnpat wrote:

Goodness people, the guy said he was sorry and felt embarrassed it happened. Of course I guess you all are so perfect nothing has ever gone wrong.

I hear you loud & clear! Sometimes people come across like that, don't they?

OK to be honest, I think many of the more...how shall I say passionate or would the be opionated(?) replies are aimed at another poster (the bear ?) and not the OP, but I could be mistaken.

It would be nice if people would quote who they are talking to or about... Sometimes comments are like a shotgun blast, people make them and aim at a certain person or topic whether it hits the mark or not. It can be confusing.

Cat
(Jim just reads the forum once in a while)

Our toys:
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3873
(picture on profile)
Boat = ProCraft Fish & Ski

Working our way toward retirement...wishing it was soon.

Kennedycamper

Algoa, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/12 10:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry but the dogs aren't staying home. Why don't you leave your ill mannered childeren home. Oh yeah, because they are part of the family, and the camping is about the family. Also I would kick a dog comeing after mine, and I consider myself a dog lover' however, as has been said I will take care of my pack.

DogsCamping

florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/12 10:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't worry about it. It happens to people at every campground I have ever stayed at. The important thing is to go immediately out and start looking for them. I had a puppy on my site yesterday in fact and I called the number on the tag...no one answered but they said their name...so I called the front desk and they gave me their site number. I went to take back their puppy and they weren't even looking for it!!! Then the guy just took the puppy's leash without even saying thank you...I was pretty disgusted with these pet owners.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> TOTAL CHAOS>>>>
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS