|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Total Newb need some of your opinions

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
WayneAt63044

St. Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/12 09:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 2008 Trailer Life Guide to Towing shows the Liberty capable of towing either 3,500 lbs or 5,000 lbs depending upon configuration. The footnote for the R or S configuration differentiating the two doesn't seem to be printed. Its not 4WD vs 2WD. Perhaps gear ratio?

2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

4evrnewb

where ever i may roam

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/12 09:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The stanterd shift tows the 3500 the 5000 is the automatic with the tow package and almost ever auto came with the tow pakage

littleluck55

Fort Thomas, KY

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/12 10:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing better than spending time with the family. I am sorry to here at about your situation. I got to spend a summer with my family after I got laid off work. I towed a 17" hybrid Jayco Kiwi from Cincinnati Oh to Yellowstone with stops along the way for 6 weeks. We had a great time. I have a 98 Ford F150 with about 160,000 miles and had no trouble. It was rated for around 6,000 lbs. I am not sure how much other hybrids weigh, but the Kiwi was around 3,000 lbs. I would think your Jeep could pull that.

anaro

Mebane, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/12 09:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the site. I am glad to hear you are doing well. Definitely check with your oncologist to make sure your counts are string enough to do this and he/she is ok with you doing this. If so then go for it. As to a trailer, you need something really small for your liberty. Do not shop by dry or unloaded weights and tongue weights, they are useless. The average family adds 1000-1500 lbs cargo weight to a trailer or you can simply shop by TT gvwr if you don't want to calculate. You need to understand several other towing related numbers on your vehicle. 1st, check your vehicle door sticker and find out your payload. From that number subtract weight if all occupants, cargo and fuel (you can weigh vehicle at a cat scale and subtract that # from gvwr to get same #). This is your available payload. TT tongue weight gets subtracted from payload. You can use either loaded trailer weight or trailer gvwr to calculate TW. TW should be 13-15% of loaded trailer weight. Next the combined weight of loaded TT and loaded tv (see weight you obtained on scale) should not exceed tv gcwr. Keep all of these numbers under max and you should be able to do it. Try not to get right at max but stay lower. You may not be first to top but you'll get there. Best of luck to you and happy hunting.

2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold after 3 1/2 yrs and 76 nights camped in it!

aclay

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/12 09:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, glad you get to spend some time with family. Congrats on winning the battle (and hopefully the war!).

Many wouldn't want to tow with small vehicle, but the trailers are getting lighter too. Hard pop ups like aliner might be good. We had family friends that towed a Jayco Skylark with a Rav4, which has to be similar to your jeep. They loved it. These are hard walled, and self contained and around 3500lbs. Problem is you pay for light. You could also look at something like a Cassita or Scamp, a full fiberglass type trailer. Any towing will put more wear on the vehicle.

There are tons of options, just make sure to choose something well under the weight limit and take it easy. Go to an RV show and just wander around or a large dealership with lots of options.

2012 Chevrolet 3500 Duramax CC SRW 4x4, 2013 Sprinter 311BHS, DW, 3 boys, & 2 dogs...
Campingourway Blog

4evrnewb

where ever i may roam

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/12 10:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You guys are defintly hekping making up my mind this is a doable summer plan my oncologist will be fine as of now you never know what could kreep up beetween now and summer but I am alowed hunting and walking in the woods and such so camping in a trailer should be no problem hopefully can have a great time! Keep the ideas coiming had seen the weight stuff on diffrent posts throughout the site so that I am fimilar with and have a local gravel pit that can weight,me for a 5 dollar fee about a mile from my home so all snould be well!

napadan

Napa CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/12 11:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the suggestion of an A-liner or Chalet is a good one. A full-sized tt has a large frontal area that feels like you are towing a paraschute. Chalet folds up in seconds to accomodate roadside breaks and is easy to set up. The Liberty should tow it just fine.

JKQ

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/12 09:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I give you alot of credit for trying to sieze the moment, you got the time off so why not take advantage of it. I see that Jeep Liberty as a problem because it limits your options, but with proper attention to weight a small TT will work. I've been doing this a long time & my advise to you is "good trip planning". Don't get yourself in stressful situations that take the fun out this adventure. Most RV parks have websites explaining the type of accomodations available, & what to expect upon arrival. Most state parks have great accomodations and are inexpensive. Traveling accross the US is in itself an experience you'll never forget. BUT, it's important to be aware that in some areas of the country there are 6 & 7 percent grades that will limit your tow vehicle, so planning is the key issue. Also, look into Good Sam, Passport America & other RV clubs that will save you money on camping & gas....good luck & enjoy!!

2013 CruiserRv Enterra 314 RES TT, 36ft, 3 slides
2013 Ford F250 Crew Cab Power Stroke Diesel 4x4
Reese WD hitch with dual friction control bars
Dometic 3000 KW portable genset

4evrnewb

where ever i may roam

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/12 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes great advise! In my first post may have made me seem a bit more ambitious then I am I live in Mass most of where I would visit would be really less then 8 hours away from home. And we like to travel the back ways there if we can no highways on our trips that's how we will go an 8 hour ride across ny proubly with a overnight stop to get to niagra falls would be our longest trip in the event we got a a frame or found we were very coumturblr with our tt maybe the blue riddge mountains. My wife wants me to see thrm. Or just set up. Camp at lower elvations and drive to the more senic spots I live in the area.....and I belive alot of you are picturing the older jeep liberty 08 and above has a decent y cylinder and proubly the lergest suv in the mid iszed suv class
Alot og the guys I see on this forum pulling with older p/u trucks and older fulll sized suvs have the same power as the jeep does buy no means do I want to start a argument on what the liberty can't pull but I used to sell trucks in brattleboro vermont we did alot of f 150 to f350 for campers and I would watch one custome insist to another customer he will never tow his trailer with a 150 and he needed a super duty and the salesman was selling him to little truck then the customer would say I have been towing that trailer for 3 years on my old 150 and been fine and this new one has sway control and 50 more. Hp and more toruq...... I belive will be very happy... other customer walks away into his amazamazing f35o lariat with the 6.7 that will tear down a house../ Now really if I get a trailer that fully loaded is 3800 pounds (yes I know dry weight vs gvwr) there are alot in that catagory that's roughly a 75% load will I run into that much trubble toolimg around the back roads of ct, ma, ny, cape cod ect?

4evrnewb

where ever i may roam

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/12 08:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

aclay wrote:

First, glad you get to spend some time with family. Congrats on winning the battle (and hopefully the war!).

Many wouldn't want to tow with small vehicle, but the trailers are getting lighter too. Hard pop ups like aliner might be good. We had family friends that towed a Jayco Skylark with a Rav4, which has to be similar to your jeep. They loved it. These are hard walled, and self contained and around 3500lbs. Problem is you pay for light. You could also look at something like a Cassita or Scamp, a full fiberglass type trailer. Any towing will put more wear on the vehicle.

There are tons of options, just make sure to choose something well under the weight limit and take it easy. Go to an RV show and just wander around or a large dealership with lots of options.

Well the tav 4 towing capacity is only 3500 pounds vs the jeeps 5000
nds from my research that's if the had the limited model with the v6. But more and more the. A frame type pop ups could work out no canvas easy to set up no mold worrie about and the knowing I will have not trouble towwing it ig I want to gi any distance! Again thank you all so much for yout experince and guidence with this. The one thing I know is that I defintly vsnnot lister to the salesman selling the camper its his job to sell it and has a sales manger telling him it will work fine as he is driving out ot lot then its not our probl

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Total Newb need some of your opinions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS