|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Left the trailer with the black tank wide open

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
HuckFinn410

Kansas City

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/12 01:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we left to come home from the seasonal site this weekend, my son and I had a communication hiccup. I dump the camper holding tanks 90% of the time. But this time he said that he would do it. He apparently pulled the black tank lever to drain the tank and walked away……apparently not having the patience at that moment to stay with it and pull the grey lever seconds later. I figured that he would just dump both tanks (it only takes a minute). I guess that when you are a teenager (17) it’s easy to get distracted. Anyway, he is usually more reliable and competent then anyone I know. A very rare instance of him goofing up……actually he played a key role this weekend in our rescue of a disabled man and two little girls after a significant jet ski accident on the lake. He’s a good kid.

So, my question is this. Since I’m not sure that we will get back down to the camper in the next couple of weeks, is there any downside to having the black tank lever wide open? Now, keep in mind that it is hooked up to a seasonal site and has 4” pvc pipe running directly to the camper. The grey tank never got dumped and therefore the pipe didn’t get its usual grey water rinse after the black tank dump. The grey tank may get a bit stinky sitting there for a few weeks.

Probably no big deal….the blank tank may dry out a little (I usually fill it with a few gallons of water after a dump).

Any major issues?

2005 GMC 1500 Sierra Crew Cab Z71 4X4
2005 KZ Frontier 2405

paulcardoza

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/12 01:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't worry about it.

Paul & Sandra
New Bedford, MA
2003 Monaco Executive M43 DS2

Burp

St. George's Island, MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/12 02:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It could be worse. I had my MH in for repairs and they left the black tank open but I was not connected to anything. When I pulled the cap off at the dump station I discovered their mistake. Reminded me of a scene in the movie "RV". I was not a happy camper.

2007 Winnebago Voyage 33V (Workhorse, W20)
2008 Suzuki S83 (VS1400)

Me, the Wife , Sarah
Places we have camped in an RV

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/12 02:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you end up with dried up gunk in the tank or the PVC drain pipe just run water into the tank and let it re-constitute the gunk. Then everything will flow as usual.

louiskathy

Oregon (presently)

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/12 02:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've heard little black bugs can get from the sewer into the black tank with the valve left open... Not a big deal. Do you have a sprayer in the black tank?? When you get back, close the black valve and put a little bleach down your toilet, turn the sprayer on. Let it be for a minute and then dump the black , close the black tank valve and drain the gray tank.

Kathy

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/12 02:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably the biggest down side is that the tank will become completely dry and any remaining solids can become hardened and be extremely difficult to remove. Can lead to future clogs and odors. It's really not an uncommon problem though as many folks store their RV with an empty black tank but it's always best to never let it completely dry out.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

ependydad

Columbia, MD

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/12 02:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To answer a question you didn't ask... can you call the campground and ask them to go close it (or better, drain the gray water first)?

2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion hitch
Nights Camped: 2013: 47, 2012: 52, 2011: 28
Learning to RV, mishaps and adventures - Towing Planner - Calculators + Estimators

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/12 02:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just close it when you get back, run a little water in it and add 2-4oz of Rid-X and it will soften any thing in the tank. We routinely add Rid-X every 2nd or 3rd tank to keep things operating and it works fine. I have seen it actually dissolve a cone of death, that had set for 3 years, in about 6 weeks of the bugs working.....

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2010 Rzr or 2007 Grizzly 450 in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/12 02:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me, I'd find a way to close it. Have heard of many things crawling up a sewer pipe. From Rats to snakes, to bugs. If they can do it in a stick house, They can do it in a campground.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
04 F150, 5.4, Lariat SuperCab
Lazy Campers

mike-uswest

Central Point, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/12 03:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

Me, I'd find a way to close it. Have heard of many things crawling up a sewer pipe. From Rats to snakes, to bugs. If they can do it in a stick house, They can do it in a campground.

In that case, just don't flush the tank while you are sitting down. They will be sorry they crawled up there!!!!

Mike

2003 Dodge 2500 CTD, 4X4,
1994 Alpenlite 26'fifth wheel
See picture in profile.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Left the trailer with the black tank wide open
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts