|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Dish hopper and RV service

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Cbones

New York

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/12 05:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I spoke with a dish rep today, and he told me that I cannot have my home dish hopper service on the same account as my RV VIP service. It seems silly to me that I have to have two separate services. Of course that means more revenue for dish. Has anyone been able to get their new hopper service and RV VIP service on one account? Btw before it is asked, my KVH antenna in the rv will only work with the 211 VIP box. It is not compatible with their Joey box. The rep said that would be the only work around to be able to keep one account for both my home and RV.

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/12 06:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cbones wrote:

I spoke with a dish rep today, and he told me that I cannot have my home dish hopper service on the same account as my RV VIP service.

Yep, VIPs and Hoppers can't be on the same account -- it may actually be a "technical" thing as opposed to that old greed factor.

2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP
Full Timer since May 2013
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Ken-55

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/12 11:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okkk . . . so along the same lines, I'm not a current Dish customer but the Hopper and Prime Time Anytime intrigues me. My RV is parked next to the house most of the time. Could I get new Dish service with the Hopper always in the RV and Joeys in the house. I realize that the Joeys wouldn't work when the RV's gone BUT no one's home then.

If this is plausible, I'm assuming I'd get a permanent dish installed at the house and get something portable for the RV when camping. Don't need TV while driving plus I'm guessing all the stored programs could be watched without even having a dish while traveling?

Will this work?

Thanks!

Cbones

New York

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/12 05:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ken-55 wrote:

Okkk . . . so along the same lines, I'm not a current Dish customer but the Hopper and Prime Time Anytime intrigues me. My RV is parked next to the house most of the time. Could I get new Dish service with the Hopper always in the RV and Joeys in the house. I realize that the Joeys wouldn't work when the RV's gone BUT no one's home then.

If this is plausible, I'm assuming I'd get a permanent dish installed at the house and get something portable for the RV when camping. Don't need TV while driving plus I'm guessing all the stored programs could be watched without even having a dish while traveling?

Will this work?

Thanks!

I believe the joeys and main DVr have to be on the same physical network. They don't use a wireless connection. Additionally, once you travel away from the house, you would need a different tuner to access the satellite dish in the RV, as the joeys aren't really satellite tuners themselves. I don't think the aforementioned setup will work for you. On a second read of your post, I notice that you would keep the hopper in RV. I am not sure if the hopper would control an RV dish, cause dish requires 3 satellites in view to access all the channels. I am not sure if the hopper would be able to control the dish in the RV, as RV dishes only see 1 sat at a time and the tuner controls which sat the dish looks at. I guess you could set up a stationary dish each time you camp, but it would be a real pain in the neck each time.

* This post was edited 05/06/12 05:40am by Cbones *

Ken-55

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/12 08:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cbones,

Here's my thoughts about initial installation . . . ask Dish installer to treat the RV as my "living room". Put the Hopper in the RV, a post mounted dish that sees all the satellites near the RV and cables to feed the 2 or 3 Joeys in the house. I'm hoping this would work the same as a regular "home" installation.

When we hit the road, disconnect from satellite dish and Joeys. I assume we could watch stored content on the Hopper without a dish and I'd like to be able to set up a portable dish on the ground next to the RV if we're staying for a few days or want live TV & news. If this set-up limits channels because of number of satellites this dish sees, I probably could live with that.

Cbones

New York

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/12 09:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ken-55 wrote:

Cbones,

Here's my thoughts about initial installation . . . ask Dish installer to treat the RV as my "living room". Put the Hopper in the RV, a post mounted dish that sees all the satellites near the RV and cables to feed the 2 or 3 Joeys in the house. I'm hoping this would work the same as a regular "home" installation.

When we hit the road, disconnect from satellite dish and Joeys. I assume we could watch stored content on the Hopper without a dish and I'd like to be able to set up a portable dish on the ground next to the RV if we're staying for a few days or want live TV & news. If this set-up limits channels because of number of satellites this dish sees, I probably could live with that.

Interesting idea. Let me know how it works out.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Dish hopper and RV service
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS