I read and posted on the other thread. The concern was that his dealer's tech told him that the pin needed to be pulled to exercise it to prevent it from becoming stuck.
I know that it can happen as it has to me. I managed to get it unstuck, but destroyed the switch in the process. Since a tech is stating the same thing, I surmise that he must see a number of this type of failure.
The switch is located in a position that can subject it to a LOT of road grime.
I suppose that since a lot of posters here only tow in pristine conditions, that their switches will be subjected to much less road grime than mine...so their need to test their switch will be less, as it will be much less likely to have a failure.
My camping trips are always centered around a scheduled event. The event won't change it's date on account of bad weather.
So my switch will always see a lot of dust from the miles of dirt roads, and can see mud, snow, rain etc.
Sometimes I have thought about putting a carbiner on the teather, it would only make hooking up a little easier, but that little easier would mean I would probably keep putting off testing the switch.
I posted on the TECH side so that I could get some comment of depth and experience since my experience with dealer information has not always been the best. And one other point, merely because someone has "credentials" such as Tech or PhD doesn't mean they actually know what they are speaking about. So I measure things I am told by getting as much information from as many sources as possible. Then as a somewhat intelligent person I make a decision.